Nataly

Are you sentimental about your "stuff"?

I've lived in 3 places over the past 5 and a half years... You would think that because of this I wouldn't have very much stuff - because I *did* de-clutter each time I moved... I'm about to move and I'm triaging all my stuff... I'm finding that
a. I have absolutely TONS of stuff despite living in a one-bed apartment!
b. my "keep" pile is WAAAYYYY bigger than my sell / throw away / donate to charity piles all put together!!

D'Oh!! How did this happen??!!! I hate shopping so where did all this stuff come from??!! Eek! Anybody else unwittingly amassing tons of "stuff"??
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

i have come to the point in my life where i dont really want anything else, unless it can be bolted my aircraft, attached to a scuba or parachute rig...i really don't desire it. and it make us, my wife is the same way, feel good to get rid of "stuff"

No, I dont have much and I like it that way. The only things I cant live without are my bike, my books, my dog, and my skydiving gear. I once read an article that minimalists are, on average, happier than people who have a lot of stuff. I think there's truth to that, so I try to follow that philosophy.

We get these circulars in the mail from the Boys and Girls Club asking for things like clothes, blankets, kitchenware, etc. You leave it out on your curb on a specified day and they come pick it up and distribute it to needy people. Everything I realize I don't need goes to that club every month:)

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I answered I cared about the "big things". But that's not entirely true. I kept things that could not be replaced; family photographs, artwork, my art supplies(replaceable but expensive), a few big coffee table books, some rare fishing gear and my musical instruments. Everything else got chucked in my last big move.... sofa, bed, tv, illicit grow equipment... tons of stuff. So glad it's gone too. :)

Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

Kids' stuff, photo albums (slowly digitizing all those), too much hobby stuff. The more I live my life and the bigger my family gets, the more things I have that I'm reluctant to throw away. I'm certainly sentimental about the small stack of kids' drawings and other craft work over the years, and the plaster casts of their hand prints. I don't think I could ever chuck that stuff.

I have two storage units full of treasures I can't part with (one in San Diego one in Houston), as well as a huge room in our current house dedicated solely to 'JIMS JUNK' not to mention about 1/2 my mom's basement in Illinois! :$:):o:S

I have every parachute I've ever owned, most of the jumpsuits too, all kinds of airshow & aviation treasures I've collected over the years...Tee-shirts, posters, trinkets of every description. :S

I have a Stearman prop, the throttles from a B-25, altimeter from a P-51...stuff ya just might NEED someday! :ph34r:

The catch-22 of saving 'stuff' is that after you've rat-holed it for a certain amount of time it becomes harder to part with because you would hate to think you 'wasted' saving it for so long! ;)

I always joke that one of these days I'm gonna open a bar next to an airport with a DZ...and hang everything on the walls! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have two storage units full of treasures I can't part with (one in San Diego one in Houston), as well as a huge room in our current house dedicated solely to 'JIMS JUNK' not to mention about 1/2 my mom's basement in Illinois! :$:):o:S

I have every parachute I've ever owned, most of the jumpsuits too, all kinds of airshow & aviation treasures I've collected over the years...Tee-shirts, posters, trinkets of every description. :S

I have a Stearman prop, the throttles from a B-25, altimeter from a P-51...stuff ya just might NEED someday! :ph34r:

The catch-22 of saving 'stuff' is that after you've rat-holed it for a certain amount of time it becomes harder to part with because you would hate to think you 'wasted' saving it for so long! ;)

I always joke that one of these days I'm gonna open a bar next to an airport with a DZ...and hang everything on the walls! B|

Thanks 'Twardo - you've just made me feel SO much better!! :D:D:P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Thanks 'Twardo - you've just made me feel SO much better!! :D:D:P

What is funny about this is that Jim is his own walking talking museum.

He just won't admit it.:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hell, I know that stuff is worth $$.B|

The old parachute gear? I sold a bunch of our old stuff a winter or two back on the good old DZ.com classifieds. It sure was nice to get some more room in the Toy Box. Now, if I could just find another woman Vskydiver's size that needed to buy a half dozen or so RW suits, I could really clean house.:P

Now gun stuff, that's stuff you never throw out. You can never have to much brass, either. :D

Now gun stuff, that's stuff you never throw out. You can never have to much brass, either. :D

Tell me about it!

I have a collection of M1 carbines, one from every manufacturer...years ago I found a NEW original WWII paratrooper stock still in the factory paper. My mom almost threw it out a few years back because it wasn't a 'gun'! :o ~ya know what the thing is WORTH?! :S

Fuck no!

Learned the hard way. Lost everything I owned b/c my roommate/landlord was arrested for murder.

Shits expensive to start all over.

Everything I own fits in 2 suitcases. I haven't really collected much since.

Wow.. Harsh.. :S:S Were you not able to recover any of it? Is there a period of time after which you can get it back??

I mean, all my important stuff fits in 2 suitcases.. But to loose everything.. I'd be absolutely gutted. [:/]
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I get some sort of sick satisfaction from throwing stuff away. I won't part with photographs or items passed down to me from relatives, but i have lots of STUFF that really is just a waste of space.

In fact, I often dream of liquidating all of my possessions, packing up what i wish to keep and buying a one way ticket to somewhere new. *sigh*

I tried. I hired lawyers, called the police. Red Tape extravaganza.

There was so much red tape- I was outside of my house house when the police told me that my landlords family can have me arrested for burglery for just getting my own belongings.

I decided to just leave it, its just stuff. I walked away with my car and my life. Thats better than anything.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

In fact, I often dream of liquidating all of my possessions, packing up what i wish to keep and buying a one way ticket to somewhere new. *sigh*

I've dreamt that as well, but I don't *quite* have the balls to do it!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I'm thinking some a/c owners would appreciate their parts back.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A few weeks ago I decided to go through everything that I owned to get rid of things I don't need anymore or don't want. It was very hard to do, actually. EVERYTHING I own has some sort of memory attached to it. Even a scrap piece of paper.

It was hard getting rid of things... but when looking at something, I asked "have I used this in the last 6 months" and "will I need it soon?" If both answers were "no" and there wasn't a very strong attachment to it... I tossed it or sold it.

I ended up keeping about 50% of what I owned. It was nice, and I don't miss much of what I tossed out.
Don't forget to pull!

It's called "Junk" and i am very attached to it.

All of it

even if my parents had the doctor operate on it when was newly born.:)

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My mom almost threw it out a few years back ...

Umm, you still live with your mom?

:S

No :D:D:D

But she has a huge house that could be a candidate for the 'hoarders' show from the 'stuff' that I store there! :$

I stopped by on the way to a demo last month to pick up some extra gear...she 'politely' asked me to take it to MY house when it was over...this time! :):ph34r:

She just recently realized I have a vintage motorcycle upstairs in my old bedroom! :o
She said one of these days I'll have to tell her HOW I got it up there! >:(