JohnRich

Whatzit?

This is a photo of a mystery item (attached) that I want to see if someone can positively identify.

I was paddling my canoe in a creek which goes around the end of an airport runway, and there were two of these items located there. At first glance it looks like an optical spotting scope, but why is it mounted on top of a propane tank? And then it occurred to me that it might be some kind of propane-powered cannon, which is used to scare off birds that might gather on the approach path to the runway, to ward off collisions with aircraft. And perhaps that box on top is some kind of radio receiver which allows the cannon to be triggered remotely from the control tower? Has anyone ever seen anything like this before, and knows for sure?

I'm not going to mention the location, as it occurs to me that these would be fun items for someone to steal...

Yup, looks like a propane cannon to me. I've on ly seen them used in the oilsands to scare birds away from landing in tailing ponds. the ones there are on automatic cycles, firiing every few nimutes.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

But John, this thing only fires noise.:P

Noise can be fun. And who's to say that a potato couldn't get accidentally lodged in the barrel?

We set one in the brush near a guys deer blind one night, you should have seen the look on his face the next morning at camp after the hunt:D:D:D:D
I could barely keep from pissing myself laughing everytime i heard it go off that morning, it just happened to be that perfect still, cold morning hunting, then BLAMMO!! about every 15 minutes or so.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.