San Bruno explosion/fire

Looks pretty bad. Sounds like it was a gas line leak.

[/url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/09/BADP1FBJRS.DTL&tsp=1

[url]http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16036178?source=most_viewed

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Yeah shit is crazy over here. That article is very informative, the news over here doesn't know crap really. Looks like 25+ homes burning, or burned completely already. My friend called me from right near there, sounds like there are borate bombers dropping on the fire, as well as choppers. Lots of people homeless tonight

I hope people were able to get out in time. One post said that PG&E said a 26" gas line was the initial fuel source.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Well, your article said 24", I heard 16". Regardless, it was burning until just about 20 min ago, just houses burning now. Man, I am looking at the TV now, gotta be 30 or more houses burned down.

If anyone is from the area, the hospitals are requesting type O negative blood, I think they have enough for the night but were asking people to come in tomorrow morning if possible.

Well, your article said 24", I heard 16". Regardless, it was burning until just about 20 min ago, just houses burning now. Man, I am looking at the TV now, gotta be 30 or more houses burned down.

If anyone is from the area, the hospitals are requesting type O negative blood, I think they have enough for the night but were asking people to come in tomorrow morning if possible.

I think it is 16" to 24" on the line, just depends which portion is which. Jesus Christ, that's a helluva lot of high pressure fuel flowing through that size pipe! B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah it was billowing flames big time, like 60-80ft in the air, it was a lot of volume.

I was also thinking, fuck, what if the next big earthquake hits, and ruptures those underground geysers of hell? Fuuuuck.... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah, it would be like this times 1000. Shit.

Probably make the 1906 post-earthquake fires look like candles by comparison.

Isn't that area about due for the next big one? :o

Who knows. It is either never going to happen, or tomorrow.

Edit to add:
53+ houses destroyed, like 100 damaged.

Depends on where you are..but a BIG quake will hit the Bay Area...

The earthquake probability is highest for the Hayward-Rodgers Creek Fault system, 31%, or nearly 1 out of 3. The last damaging earthquake on the Hayward Fault was in 1868. The 140 years since 1868 is same length of time as the average interval between the past 5 large earthquakes on the southern Hayward Fault.

The probability of a large earthquake on the San Andreas Fault in the next 30 years is about 21%, or about 1 out of 5. This fault was responsible for the magnitude 7.8 1906 San Francisco earthquake and the magnitude 6.9 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

And a [url "http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2008/3019/fs2008-3019.pdf">USGS report on the Hayward Fault

A second factor making the Hayward Fault so dangerous now is that its most recent damaging earthquake was 140 years ago. USGS scientists have found evidence for 12 quakes on the southern Hayward Fault during the past 1,900 years. Ominously, the last five events (in 1315, 1470, 1630, 1725, and 1868) occurred at intervals of 95 to 160 years, with an average interval of 138 years.

Not bad. The idea of total destruction sounds kinda cool actually, except for people getting hurt and all that.

I have been in one big one and then all the aftershocks....it is not fun. Seeing the world fall apart around you makes you feel like a very fragile being. All of your senses will record the sights and smells and feel of it and you will never forget them.

Looks pretty bad. Sounds like it was a gas line leak.

[/url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/09/09/BADP1FBJRS.DTL&tsp=1

[url]http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_16036178?source=most_viewed

I was forecasting for San Fran international at the time and saw the blast go up on our webcam-- NUTS!! It looked like a volcano was going off right next to the airport! The smoke was so thick blowing right over the approach that we had to go to instrument arrival rates. My thoughts are definitely with all of the people impacted in that area-- definitely looks bad. :(
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I was driving right by it when it went off, thought a plane had gone in since that's right on the departure vector for SFO when the winds are out of the west.

How many times do we have to tell you not to throw cigarette butts out your car window?????