WatchYourStep

LCD or LED TV.....

Well the TV is on the fritz so time to upgrade. I'm looking for a 46" don't really want anything bigger because it would be too big for the room. I'm down to LED vs. LCD. From what I've read plasmas are better for rooms where you can control the lights. This will be for the living room with lots of windows so it's bright most of the time.

So what do you electronic gurus think....LCD or LED and why?

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I think the poll makes no sense.
The choices are:
- Plasma.
- LCD with flourescent backlight.
- LCD with LED backlight.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LED if money is no option. Actually depending upon the quality it might only be a about a couple hundred extra.

For what its worth the LED produces blacker blacks compared to that of LCD due to the LED's being able to completely turn off compared to that of LCD

Also the colors are more accurately reproduced compared to that of LCD. Plus it consumes less energy therefore cheaper electricity bill ! ;)

Go with LED you can't go wrong. I'd personally recommend Samsung or Sharp.....Sony is up there but slightly overpriced

If 3D is your thing then I wouldn't be too sure of which brand to recommend since personally I'm not into 3D and I think its a way to price things up/consumer gimmick

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Plasma.
All the way.
B|

Ditto!

My plasma is mounted on the wall adjacent to my front window and no further than 3 feet away. My folks also have a plasma and it is in the brightest room of their house (1 large window and 1 sliding glass door). Neither of us really have a glare issue.

For me the choice is how you use the TV. If you use it for video games, then you will tend to want an LCD. If you use it for watching TV or movies, then plasma is the way to go.

Plasma.
All the way.
B|

If you use it for watching TV or movies, then plasma is the way to go.

Unless you live at high altitude (I do)
Or unless you leave your TV (foolishly) parked on a channel like Discovery.
Minus those two factors, plasma is my choice too.

>>Go with LED you can't go wrong.

>Unless you live at high altitude.

LCD TV's (which include regular LCD's and LCD TV's with LED backlights) are unaffected by altitude - which BTW is why they're used without problems on airplanes. Plasmas can be affected by altitude, so they're not a great choice.

In addition I would point out that there are dynamic LED backlights and static LED backlights. Static LED's are just a source of white light to backlight the LCD panel and aren't much different than fluorescent lights (although they last longer.) Dynamic LED's will change the illumination of a given area to give darker blacks to dark scenes.

Plasma.
All the way.
B|

Ditto!

My plasma is mounted on the wall adjacent to my front window and no further than 3 feet away. My folks also have a plasma and it is in the brightest room of their house (1 large window and 1 sliding glass door). Neither of us really have a glare issue.

For me the choice is how you use the TV. If you use it for video games, then you will tend to want an LCD. If you use it for watching TV or movies, then plasma is the way to go.

This will be used for gaming a fair amount but also sports.....so about 50/50, thanks for the feedback.

I left Plasma off of the poll intentionally because (from what I had read) that it did not do well in well lit rooms. However it seems some people don't have any issue with them in bright rooms which is good to know.

Appreciate the feedback.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

>>Go with LED you can't go wrong.

>Unless you live at high altitude.

LCD TV's (which include regular LCD's and LCD TV's with LED backlights) are unaffected by altitude - which BTW is why they're used without problems on airplanes. Plasmas can be affected by altitude, so they're not a great choice.

In addition I would point out that there are dynamic LED backlights and static LED backlights. Static LED's are just a source of white light to backlight the LCD panel and aren't much different than fluorescent lights (although they last longer.) Dynamic LED's will change the illumination of a given area to give darker blacks to dark scenes.

Plasmas also can suffer burn-in (where a static image burns itself into the screen). Ever walk into a hotel room where it appears a CRT TV is on, even though it's off? That's burn-in. LCD does not suffer this issue, and while there are some image quality tradeoffs the noise, heat, (due to altitude here) and burn-in got me to go for LCD panels for home and office.

Plasmas also can suffer burn-in (where a static image burns itself into the screen).

My friend purchased one of the Plasma TVs that was on the trade floor when the company he was working for closed shop.

The CNBC peacock is visible even when the TV is turned off and visible even when other channels are on. $100 was not a bad deal for a 50" plasma in 2005 though.

Plasmas also can suffer burn-in ...... LCD does not suffer this issue,

...actually not strictly true - just takes a little longer with LCD panels...
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

LED TVs are much brighter and crisper, but they are still very new. When the Plasmas first came out, they had things that needed to be addressed and fixed that they did not initially expect. Being pretty new, I believe that LED TVs will still have some kinks that will need to be worked out.

Personally, if I am going to dish out the money it costs for an LED TV, I want to make sure they have most of the major kinks worked out. So, LCD was my choice.
F LORIDA!

True... It takes roughly 12x longer:)
How come OLED isn't in the poll?

Oh, you mean the ones that really are LED, and not just backlit LCD?
I was considering bringing that up.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Can't believe no one suggested this yet: Wait a few months and then get a 3D TV.

Considering the sorry state of what is being passed off as "3D"?
No.

How important is frame rate?

A local electronics dealer just had a demo running showing the difference between 120 and 240 hz refresh rates on some led and lcd units...looked pretty dramatic but I wonder if the books were cooked if you know what I mean.

I note that a lot of the plasma units have a 600hz refresh rate. If watching sports and say, gaming, is your main use would this point towards a plasma w/600 hz rate?

Or is the difference between 120 and 600 not really noticeable in real life?

(I still have an old CRT SD Sony from 10 years ago)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey