pkasdorf

An advantage I hadn't thought of...

Yesterday was my first jump through a rainy cloud. Besides the drops impacting on my Z1's visor I didn't feel any other inconveniences throughout the 1500 cloudy feet. That was not the case for my partners who didn't have full face masks! Once back on the ground I had to listen to many "sh..s" and "fu..s" describing the torture of the water drops at 120 mph...

Although unfrequent, another advantage of a full face mask.

Love my Z1!

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Three years ago. Attempt at setting a state record nekkid-way. Rain ALL the way down! OUCH ! We looked like we had witnessed a nuclear explosion. Exposed surfaces were bright red except a white stripe where the chest strap protected. We sent out for Solarcaine. It helped but we were in pain for days !

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

You know why the raindrops hurt so bad in freefall?

Because you're hitting the pointy ends.

:)

What is the terminal speed of a rain drop??? Actually, I looked it up, and found it is in the 10 to 20 MPH range...

And all this time I thought rain fell near a skydiver's speed. No wonder why it hurts.

>Rain ALL the way down! OUCH !

Yep. I find it funny when people jump in rain and think it's ice because it hurts so much. I used to think I had experienced ice until one day I actually _did_ jump in ice. It left bruises through my jumpsuit.

Snow, on the other hand, doesn't hurt much and is really cool when flying in a wingsuit. At minimum speeds (around 55 for me) it looks like driving at night with the snow coming at you into the cone of your headlights.

Yep. I find it funny when people jump in rain and think it's ice because it hurts so much. I used to think I had experienced ice until one day I actually _did_ jump in ice. It left bruises through my jumpsuit.

True ice, I agree with you, misting ice at altitude, that happens sometimes even when its not raining on the ground, hurts much much MUCH more then just mist/rain at altitude.

In my experience in TX, that sort of thing only lasts a few seconds after exit and I'm glad to be a TI who only feels it for a little bit on exit instead of the video guy climbing out waiting for me to wrestle my student in the door. >:(:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sorry, but as far as I checked, in the cloud the drops are spherical as they also are or nearly are in freefall. They have pointy ends only when just leaving from something solid like a branch, roof, etc. It's just the 120 mph impact that makes them hurt.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

Sorry, but as far as I checked, in the cloud the drops are spherical as they also are or nearly are in freefall. They have pointy ends only when just leaving from something solid like a branch, roof, etc. It's just the 120 mph impact that makes them hurt.

I was gonna post something like, "You are wrong, rain drops are pointy, how could my third grade teacher have told me something wrong... She also told me that all the planets orbit the sun in perfect circles, as do electrons around the proton in an atom." (Theories that college science courses threw out as quickly as the earth being flat.)

So I googled it.... You are right... The shape of a raindrop is the shape of a hamburger bun... http://www.fluidmech.net/tutorials/raindrops/raindrop.htm

http://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadRain.html

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/raindropshape.html

Small raindrops (radius < 1 millimeter (mm)) are spherical; larger ones assume a shape more like that of a hamburger bun. When they get larger than a radius of about 4.5 mm they rapidly become distorted into a shape rather like a parachute with a tube of water around the base --- and then they break up into smaller drops.

Thanks for bursting my bubble that my third grade teacher knew it all.

Sorry, but as far as I checked, in the cloud the drops are spherical as they also are or nearly are in freefall. They have pointy ends only when just leaving from something solid like a branch, roof, etc. It's just the 120 mph impact that makes them h.

Sorry, guys, that's just an old skydiver joke about pointy raindrops. That's the problem with jokes on the internet. Those little emoticons just aren't as good as tone of voice for relaying humor.

Sorry, guys, that's just an old skydiver joke about pointy raindrops. That's the problem with jokes on the internet. Those little emoticons just aren't as good as tone of voice for relaying humor.

S'okay, John. I got it. I also use that line with others as well...heh;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Sorry, but as far as I checked, in the cloud the drops are spherical as they also are or nearly are in freefall. They have pointy ends only when just leaving from something solid like a branch, roof, etc. It's just the 120 mph impact that makes them h.

I KNEW you were joking, but I also thought there was SOME truth to it, as every raindrop you ever see drawn on the weather forecasts do have pointed ends...

Now, can you tell me why raindrops hurt so bad since they really look like hamburger buns... There has to be a joke somewhere in that.:P

[Now, can you tell me why raindrops hurt so bad since they really look like hamburger buns... There has to be a joke somewhere in that.:P

"Well, how do you think it would feel to have buns slapping your face at 120 mph?"

Hmmm. Dunno, but there's a punchline in there somewhere. :)

That was not the case for my partners who didn't have full face masks! Once back on the ground I had to listen to many "sh..s" and "fu..s" describing the torture of the water drops at 120 mph...

Tell em to learn backflying B|