RALFFERS

Anyone work for Motorola or Verizon?

Anyone here work for Motorola or Verizon? I'm trying to get some reliable info on when Android 2.2, (Froyo) will be released for the Droid X. Normally, I could careless about geeky stuff like this, but people that are running the leaked versions of said updated O.S. report improved battery life - and for that reason I'm getting rather impatient. Having to charge your phone 2, sometimes 3 times a day sucks...

At first they said late July, then sometime in August, then early September...and...we're all still waiting.

Edited to add: I would root my phone & thereby run the leaked 2.2, but I've been reading of peoples' trouble with flashing back to 2.1 [for once the official update is released] & it just seems like too much of a hassle; the last thing I want to do is brick my phone.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I was just at the Verizon store yesterday and they said it should be the end of this month. I also have the Droid X, but don't have any battery life issues. I can sometimes go two days before needing to charge. If you haven't done so already, you may want to install the Advanced Task Killer app and kill your unused apps throughout the day so they don't draing the battery when they aren't being used.
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

Verizon wont tell you until maybe 24 or 48 hours before it is released if they tell you at all.

The store reps do not know anything about updates. They are not in the loop what so ever. Most of them will got to gizmodo or engadget and see what the tech blogs are saying as to the expected release dates.

Just google "Droid X android 2.2 update" you will be able to start to see the rumor mill turn. HAve fun. I went through this with my HTC Hero. It gets maddening listening to all the rumors.

Or go to XDA and you can learn how to root your phone and then install the new ROM on your own. Most of the time they have a way for you to revert back to the stock 2.1 ROM if you have problems. But a lot of the times with these rooted ROMS, some of the features wont work. But XDA will probably have a full working ROM before there is an official update from Verizon.
Dom

Consider yourself fortunate; your the first person to tell me that your battery lasts one or TWO days. Everyone is complaining about battery life. Yes, the DX is an advanced smartphone, with a huge screen - but nevertheless, none of this is sufficient reason for the rapid battery drainage.

I tried Advance task killer, as well as a few other one's - none of them did a thing. Contrary to popular belief, the general consensus is that they are in fact useless.

You can do things to help your battery out...Dim your screen, and lessen the time your screen stays lit from say, 2 mins to 15 seconds. Turn your GPS off if you don't need it. Also, when your phone has a full charge, turn it off and plug it into the charger again. For some reason, a second charge when the phone is off gives more juice to android phones. I do it all the time with mine and notice a significant difference.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

Advanced Task Killer app

Gotta have it on an Android phone.

bad app! you waste more battery on killing the apps that soon restart themselves b/c of how the android OS is designed to operate...

just let the apps run, they use soooo little battery running in the back ground, it doesnt use any resources either.
IHYD

You can do things to help your battery out...Dim your screen, and lessen the time your screen stays lit from say, 2 mins to 15 seconds. Turn your GPS off if you don't need it. Also, when your phone has a full charge, turn it off and plug it into the charger again. For some reason, a second charge when the phone is off gives more juice to android phones. I do it all the time with mine and notice a significant difference.

I knew of everything that you said except for that - thanks! :)

About the time that the big Katanas come out...

Oh.

Ok, it'll come out about the time that the big Optima reserves come out...

Oh.

Ok, it's sort of like the "Free crabs tomorrow" sign at Joe's Crabshack.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

About the time that the big Katanas come out...

Oh.

Ok, it'll come out about the time that the big Optima reserves come out...

Oh.

Ok, it's sort of like the "Free crabs tomorrow" sign at Joe's Crabshack.

Judging from your post, you're either A) - waiting on the update yourself; or B) - fucking with me for the sake of fucking with me.

:D:D