shropshire

Best film fight scene ... ever

Seems to me we need at least one skydiving fight in this list. And I'm not talking about the lamentable 'Shoot 'Em Up'!

So, James Bond and the bad guy in the opening sequence of Moonraker. Two men, one parachute - pretty high stakes! And all filmed with real skydivers in real freefall, instead of shoddy green-screen. Shame about the silly bit where Jaws gets his fall broken by the circus tent, but we can overlook that.

Plus, the whole sequence is preceded by one of the best lines in a 007 movie - "Any higher, Mr Bond, and my ears will pop!" :)

The end of The Departed when everyone dies in about 90seconds
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

The kung fu and thai styles got spanked pretty early.
The Japanese took some people out in less than 30 seconds. One head shot and down.

Those skilled in Krav Maga can end a fight in less than 5 seconds

The Japanese took some people out in less than 30 seconds. One head shot and down.

This is like a bastard version of Name That Tune...

Dude, with a Mai Tai praying internet stance that fight would be over in less than 2 seconds.

No way, with shiny red moose knuckle that fight would be over in less than a 1 second...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you have ever watched Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story there was some talk about some of the earlier work that was done by Bruce Lee...which in my opinion will always be the best. No stupid ass hollywood Matt Damon pen fight can ever be topped by the scene where the director had pitted Bruce against someone who he personally hated in real life and when the cameras started rolling everything was unscripted. I can't remember the name of the movie but the fight scene ended behind an ice factory with huge blocks of ice. That shit was insanely bad ass...and it was done without stunt men in the 70's. Ridestrong if you can remember the name of the movie please enlighten me...in the meantime you can check out some of his last work before he passed away from the horrid Lee curse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIlBZ2uQyHg

This is like a bastard version of Name That Tune...

Dude, with a Mai Tai praying internet stance that fight would be over in less than 2 seconds.

No way, with shiny red moose knuckle that fight would be over in less than a 1 second...

Yeah. This became the Virtual Twilight Zone thread.
First off, we are talking about movies and whatever
kind of pseudo-acting that goes on in martial arts movies.

The difference in FBK is that it was a lot of poorly done interviews and ended with actual fight scenes.
It was video of a real knockout contest.

Yes, the "soft" styles did ht the mat first. Just the way it happened in reality.

There wasn't any Secret Bong Mind Attack techniques.
(With SBMA, there is no fight, the opponent just forgets
what they were going to fight about and loses)

The Big Boss.

The point about real fights is valid and part of the reason I Can't watch "ultimate" fighting anything. In the real world people break easily, often in terminal or crippling manner. "Sport" fightings rules and movies make it seem like you can pummel each other for hours and come back for the match next week.

All the lethal strikes taught by the combat styles (from many cultures) are illegal

You nailed it...that in my opinion was the best fight scene...because it was real and the guys damn sure didnt like each other...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3NuwwetZtc&feature=related

I like Neo Vs Agent Smith -

Also - I think the best for realism is Indiana Jones and the Germnan guy around the plane.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yoda vs Emperor in Star Wars Episode 3

No way, Vader vs Obi-wan on Mustafar was much, much better.

We'll not talk about Vader vs Obi-wan on the Death Star, however. [:/]

LMAO -

seems that they got really old . . . and slow . . . since their last battle.:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

As sword work goes the death star fight was the most accurate in any StarWars movie. Two masters facing each other botheknowing that it takes an opening that is imperceptible to lesser trained swordsmen and the fight is over with a single stroke. Just ad with all things Hollywood prefers flash over substance and o swords work now looks like amateurs swinging axe handles instead of razor sharp steel that will kill You before you know you've been cut much less a scifi lightsword that would be far more dangerous for its user as well as his opponent.

As sword work goes the death star fight was the most accurate in any StarWars movie. Two masters facing each other botheknowing that it takes an opening that is imperceptible to lesser trained swordsmen and the fight is over with a single stroke. Just ad with all things Hollywood prefers flash over substance and o swords work now looks like amateurs swinging axe handles instead of razor sharp steel that will kill You before you know you've been cut much less a scifi lightsword that would be far more dangerous for its user as well as his opponent.

Nonsense. The fight was dull because Obi-wan knew he was overmatched, so his only goal was to survive long enough to allow Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, and the droids to make it back to the Falcon. Once they were safely by the spacecraft, he surrendered and allowed Vader to cut him down. On Mustafar they were both out for blood, and equally skilled, and thus the fight was much more exciting. :P

Nonsense. The fight was dull because Obi-wan knew he was overmatched, so his only goal was to survive long enough to allow Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, and the droids to make it back to the Falcon. Once they were safely by the spacecraft, he surrendered and allowed Vader to cut him down. On Mustafar they were both out for blood, and equally skilled, and thus the fight was much more exciting. :P

So, what you're saying is, you're both virgins ?
:ph34r:

A few years ago I finally realized that women are not at all impressed by how much I know about Star Wars. Or professional wrestling for that matter. After learning to just shut the hell up, I was amazed at how my life has improved. B|

A few years ago I finally realized that women are not at all impressed by how much I know about Star Wars. Or professional wrestling for that matter. After learning to just shut the hell up, I was amazed at how my life has improved. B|

The Princess Leia harem outfit is all you will ever agree on. "You would sooo rock the PL harem outfit." :)
I learned years ago that women decide your fate in the first 30 seconds of looking at you. That is the best you can do. By talking, you only destroy that image.

The basic rule is this - If you don't hear women talking about it, don't bring it up.

It's an idea that should go both ways. ;)

Narrowing it down - my favorite Matrix fight scene is the one in the subway between Neo and Smith.

Also, in Rocky Balboa, the scene at the end is great because they don't enhance the punch sound effects (though I love the cheesiness of the scenes in 1-4) and because, from what I remember reading, they'd occasionally hit each other for real. I think Tarver and Stallone sparred preparing for that as well.

I'd also nominate Edward Norton against himself in his bosses office in Fight Club

fight club , a movie about a club made up of amateur fighters , who fight ! most excellent .
how many of you know the name of the green hornet's sidekick.
and his real name ?

:ph34r:

What I'm saying is over the past 38 years I've earned a B rating from the USFA (US Fencing association. A rating is Olympic level), a Nidan in Kendo (USKF Kendo Federation), a Shodan in Iaido (no formal governing body in the US), spend 3 months in Japan learning with one of the last schools that teaches Kenjitsu and Iaijitsu the more directly combat related styles vs practice forms of Kendo/Iaido modern 'sport' equivalents. As well as studying Chinese, Korean and Philpino styles of swordwork. I've easily spent more money than most people spend on their cars on sharp steel and certainly more than your average skydiver spends on their gear in a lifetime in pursuit of my 'hobby'.

All of the above inspired by Erroll Flynn, Japanese Samurai movies, Chinese Kung Fu theater and yes the original Star Wars movie.

what the rubes like bdb2004 never seem to understand is real sword work IS NOT exciting to an untrained eye. It is fast, deadly in a very few (usually the first actual engagement which is why waiting for the opening, or creating the distraction to force it is fundamental) passes (and often resulted in mortal wounds for both combatants in the Japanese style due to the type of weapon and their mental approach towards combat) and looks entirely unimpressive to a western audience's untrained eye.

The man inside the Vader suit for the original Starwars was a world renowned swordsman, fencer, kendokai and eventually fight choreographer Robert Anderson. A great deal of thought was put into every motion in that fight scene and infact every time Obiwan draws his lightsaber, as to how it defined the character(s). In the initial engagement between Obiwan and Vader has Vader very much on the defensive, responding to cuts to the hands and wrists and unable to take any real aggressive action, but this subtlety is entirely lost on western audience and untrained viewers. Obi wan deliberately sacrifices himself (following Starwars mythology) because he knows what that 'act' will do and how it will allow him to continue to influence the future in a way he can no longer.

Compare this to the prequels (that I took the middle school kids I was coaching at the time to see) and it is obvious how silly and theatrical the fight scenes had become. Even these children with less than a hundred hours of practice were laughing at the obvious openings and outright ridiculous blade positions and moves being made by the supposed 'best warriors in the universe'

If you care about swordwork and its use in Hollywood, look up Bob Anderson and compare the movies he was a part of with everyone else, apart from the Japanese and Chinese produced movies you wont find better swordwork on film anywhere.

For a perfect example of of restraint, excitement in a fight scene but with enough reality to keep the advocate's interest, watch the Jet Li Fearless movie.. while it is Chinese not Japanese sword work at nearly every instant involving a sword the character deliberately (and exaggeratedly for the audience sake) declines the killing stroke. It is a wonderful movie based on a real man as pivotal to the expansion and development of wushu chinese martial arts as Bruce Lee.. some 70 years later.

ps. Swordwork, fencing, kendo (and the travel I've done to study it) has gotten me laid FAR more often than skydiving has:), and by women in significantly better shape and fitness ;)