Calvin19

Tandem BASE jumping!

http://www.TandemBASE.com/index.php

So... now all the muppets who said "i went skydiving" can also say "I went BASE jumping".

I would fly video any day.

Certain FAA pt103 issues exist, of course. But whatever.

This is so fucking crazy. This morning I actually thought to myself after watching a BASE video "wouldn't it be funny if someone tried to do a tandem BASE jump?"

I didn't expect to actually see that it's for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zkfCmth-XU

also

http://www.mywvhome.com/bridge/Bridge2/tedstrong.htm
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Mmm, no photos in the gallery, price reduction (now $299 down from $399).....
Who certifies qualified tandem-base instructors?:S

Look at the "staff" page.

They have tandem-base I/Es and even a tandem base S&T A.

See, they know what they are doing.

We really need a sarcasm font.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Who certifies qualified tandem-base instructors?:S

The Twin Falls, Idaho Emergency Rescue Department. If they haven't seen you, you're good to go.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

of course, it is a "two occupant" vehicle. but that makes it an illegally operated light sport aircraft. (Tandem skydives and tandem PG flying both have FAA waivers/special certifications)

"Light sport" or "ultralight"? does having a passenger automatically bump it into light sport, or is it an illegal ultralight (part 103)? not that it really matters, just wondering.

had to go through the N-numbering process recently for my weight shift, E-LSA. no one writes better "riddles" than the FAA. :D

Found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oml71o0RHUk&feature=related on youtube as well, OMG...
To me it's "Things the world doesn't need" because I suspect there will be accidents (not to talk about fatalities) sooner or later if this becomes kinda factory thing.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I'm thinking it would be kind of awkward to get over the rail with another person strapped in front. Sometimes tandems have a hard time just getting to the door of the aircraft when all hooked up.

I was wondering the same thing, lol

of course, it is a "two occupant" vehicle. but that makes it an illegally operated light sport aircraft. (Tandem skydives and tandem PG flying both have FAA waivers/special certifications)

"Light sport" or "ultralight"? does having a passenger automatically bump it into light sport, or is it an illegal ultralight (part 103)? not that it really matters, just wondering.

had to go through the N-numbering process recently for my weight shift, E-LSA. no one writes better "riddles" than the FAA. :D

You might be correct, I just went on the assumption that previously "wavered" ultralights were gathered into LS. Assumed it would be the same. It possibly could be considered an illegal tandem paraglider?

Legal issues aside, I think it is something that had to happen at some point. there is no way to avoid it.

I would like to know more about you ELSA, I almost built one of those a few times. even last month with the research I did we could not get the numbers to work for the duration we want. not enough energy density.

-SPACE-

Allow me extend and revise my remarks . . .

>>All new B.A.S.E. jumpers suck!
I'm not backing off the above, as there's nothing more pathetic than a 20 year old B.A.S.E. jumper. You all came to the party way late, and act like you own it. I laugh at you.

On the other hand tandem B.A.S.E was inevitable.

We fooled around with in the 80s, but we didn't have the right gear and skills to pull it off.

But you guys do. Just don't act like you invented it. Everything in B.A.S.E was step by step and built on the guys who came before you. So I say go ahead and make your $299 a jump. I love the technology. But also know you're no longer a B.A.S.E jumper. You're a vacuum cleaner salesman . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Allow me extend and revise my remarks . . .

>>All new B.A.S.E. jumpers suck!
I'm not backing off the above, as there's nothing more pathetic than a 20 year old B.A.S.E. jumper. You all came to the party way late, and act like you own it. I laugh at you.

On the other hand tandem B.A.S.E was inevitable.

We fooled around with in the 80s, but we didn't have the right gear and skills to pull it off.

But you guys do. Just don't act like you invented it. Everything in B.A.S.E was step by step and built on the guys who came before you. So I say go ahead and make your $299 a jump. I love the technology. But also know you're no longer a B.A.S.E jumper. You're a vacuum cleaner salesman . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

BASE tandem is nothing new, sure. but I am pretty sure commercial BASE tandem is. Like I always say, yes we are on the shoulders of giants every day we jump. But I still jump alongside Giants that are just as innovative and ten times as skilled as your muppets from the cold war.

I was a BASE jumper when I was 19:P, so I think I am exempt from this "get off my lawn" speech. Check the attached

I'm waiting for Tandem Swooping.

Eh, Charlie Mullins did that over a decade ago. Beautiful swoop with a tippy-toe landing that was a crowd pleaser. Still caught hell from the DZO, though. It wasn't at the Mullins' home DZ. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban