Nataly

iHate my new iPad

Argh... What can I say?? It sucks.

The first thing that annoyed me is that I couldn't just start using it straight away. I needed to download the latest version of iTunes. Well, I don't have access to my iMac at the mo so I had to bring it back to the store to get it "unblocked". Get this-it cost me money to do that too!

Speaking of money... I have so far bought an idock and an iadapter to plug in a USB port so that I can iconnect a freakin' camera to it (and btw that is ALL the USB port will recognise). Additionally, I have needed iapps to get the thing going and Skype refuses to work whilst I do *any thing* else...

Navigating the web is NOT easier, it does NOT cope with emails better and typing with is is NOT a breeze. Basically is does less stuff in more time.

Seriously... I am a huge Mac fan but I want an iRefund.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

Well, I hesitated between starting a new post and bumping the old one about ipads... But honestly I really don't like it and am wondering if I should (or can) bring it back. Does it get better with time??

For me it just seems very UNintuitive and browsing the web is a complete pain. Am I just missing something?
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

Well, I hesitated between starting a new post and bumping the old one about ipads... But honestly I really don't like it and am wondering if I should (or can) bring it back. Does it get better with time??

For me it just seems very UNintuitive and browsing the web is a complete pain. Am I just missing something?

Well, I don't have an iPad so I couldn't say for sure if the experience gets better with time, but I do have an iPhone that is pretty amazing.

Have you ever owned an iPhone?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Never owned one but like I said I usually LOVE Apple products. My friend let me play with her iPhone and I just thought it was awesome..

So is this just a big iPhone that is pretending to do more and actually doesn't even work as a phone??
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

So is this just a big iPhone that is pretending to do more and actually doesn't even work as a phone??

Depends on how you look at it.

It has the same operating system and much of the user interface is the same so on a couple of very fundamental items, yes it's the same.

But that's like saying a laptop is "the same" as a desktop computer . . . except it doesn't necessarily needs to be plugged in and it has a screen that folds over the keyboard and you can take it with you to the coffeeshop.

So yeah, sort of.

That said, the iPad is MUCH bigger than an iPhone which means it's easier to read a book or watch a movie on. It also gives a far superior web browsing experience over an iPhone.

I could actually do work on an iPad; typing, spreadsheets . . . that would be very difficult on an iPhone.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

There is a little bit of a learning curve to it if you have never used one or owned an iPhone. The keyboard takes a little bit to get used to but after a bit it's actually quite easy. When typing in usually just set it flat on a table and type that way, much easier that trying to hold it and type. For the most part it really is like a huge iPod touch. But the difference is the size, and the apps that they have for the iPad. One of the biggest things I like is the very very long battery life. It's really easy to take around with you and takes a long time of use before the battery will die so I generally use mine more than my laptop.

As far as the apps go it rally all depends on what you use your iPad for. They have some amazing apps for productivity, iWork is amazing. The abc news app is pretty cool and one of my personal favorites is weather bug, especially on jump days. It shows hourly forecasts, current winds (speed, direction, and gusts) as well as a doplar style overlay in realtime so you can see exactly whats going on.

I'm sure there is a way for you to return it if you like, but you may find that it will grow on you :)

I'm sorry you're having so many issues with it. My husband and I have had very different experiences with the iPad, but maybe our expectations were different, too. Are you expecting it to be more like a netbook?

Maybe I was... Mostly I was expecting it to be intuitive. What really bugs me is the little stuff like not being able to browse the Internet at the same time as being on Skype, but that is just one example.

I think I will try to return it to the store but since I ditched all the packaging I somehow can't see them taking it back...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I'm sorry you're having so many issues with it. My husband and I have had very different experiences with the iPad, but maybe our expectations were different, too. Are you expecting it to be more like a netbook?

Maybe I was... Mostly I was expecting it to be intuitive. What really bugs me is the little stuff like not being able to browse the Internet at the same time as being on Skype, but that is just one example.

I think I will try to return it to the store but since I ditched all the packaging I somehow can't see them taking it back...

I hate mine too, good job someone else paid for it. I'd be really pissed if I'd spent my own money.

What really bugs me is the restriction to only apps approved by Jobs & Co.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And holy crap-no flash player?? Seriously?? ARGH!!! I thought this thing was supposed to be for easier use of media... Very unhappy now I have discovered this further limitation.

I'm going to try and bring it back to the store... Maybe they will let me exchange it for another product.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

And holy crap-no flash player?? Seriously?? ARGH!!! I thought this thing was supposed to be for easier use of media... Very unhappy now I have discovered this further limitation.

I'm going to try and bring it back to the store... Maybe they will let me exchange it for another product.

Nataly,

Considering that Steve Jobs felt the Flash issue important enough to write an [url "http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/"]open letter[/URL] about it back in April and the copious amounts of debate about this aspect of the iOS operating system I am surprised you bought an iPad not knowing that.

I have no idea what your expectations were going in but it looks to me like you didn't do much research. I hope that Apple will give you your money back so you can find something you are happy with.

Sent from my iPad.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

My brother gave my mom an iPad back when she was laid up in the hospital and then rehab with a hip replacement. I got to check it out using the hospital's wireless internet. It took some getting used to it for sure.

Couple weeks ago while staying in a hotel with them I asked to borrow the iPad so I could do some surfing, and dz.com reading and posting.

The main gripe I had about it was that I couldn't move the cursor a letter or a line at a time since there were no directional keys and no mouse either, especially when I was typing a post. Same thing with emails. If the type was small and I had a hard time going where I wanted with the cursor, I had to zoom in. Zooming in and out, and scrolling with the swipe of a finger was the fun part though.

It just depends on what you expect from it, and what you want to be able to do with it. I guess in your case, it's not the right product.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The thing is I obviously heard about the iPad just before it launched... i even watched Steve Jobs demo it on their webcasted quarterly report and was extremely excited about it. Since then I've been pretty out of touch because of mad working hours, my final case study travelling and moving to a new country... So yeah, now that I'm connected again and have some time i'm discovering what everyone else has probably known for months... :S[:/] And I know you should never trust a salesman but honestly I've always liked Mac products so never imagined I would be so limited by this one...

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

My brother gave my mom an iPad back when she was laid up in the hospital and then rehab with a hip replacement. I got to check it out using the hospital's wireless internet. It took some getting used to it for sure.

Couple weeks ago while staying in a hotel with them I asked to borrow the iPad so I could do some surfing, and dz.com reading and posting.

The main gripe I had about it was that I couldn't move the cursor a letter or a line at a time since there were no directional keys and no mouse either, especially when I was typing a post. Same thing with emails. If the type was small and I had a hard time going where I wanted with the cursor, I had to zoom in. Zooming in and out, and scrolling with the swipe of a finger was the fun part though.

It just depends on what you expect from it, and what you want to be able to do with it. I guess in your case, it's not the right product.

Billy,

If you hold down your finger close to where you want to insert the cursor, a little magnifying glass will appear and this allows you to insert the cursor where you want with much more precision. This frustrated me as well until I was shown this by one of the guys in our local Mac store.

Nataly, I wonder if some of your frustration stems from the fact that this new user interface is touch based and as a result many things are done differently?

if there are specific things that you can't figure out how to do perhaps some of us on here could helps you deal with those things?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

On the contrary-I absolutely LOVE the touch Interface-for me it was what attracted me to it in the first place. But no flash content? If I jailbrake the thing will it void the warranty?

ETA: Read Steve's open letter... It's compelling but sounds to me like the two companies are just fighting with each-other and the consumer is paying the price.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

On the contrary-I absolutely LOVE the touch Interface-for me it was what attracted me to it in the first place. But no flash content? If I jailbrake the thing will it void the warranty?

Don't know about the warranty if you jailbreak it but I don't know if that would allow you to get Flash on it.

I hate Flash on my Macs...Adobe's fault...as it is a total resource hog. My Macbook's fan comes on about 15 seconds after a Flash video starts running. Adobe has known about this for years and never fixed it. One of the major things I like about my iPad is the long battery life and Flash, in it's current incarnation, would likely kill the battery very quickly.

Due to the fact Apple is producing 1.5 iPhones a second and millions of other iOS devices that don't run Flash many sites are making their content available in H.264 or HTML 5 so not having Flash is less of an issue. That being said, Flash isn't going away, I read an article earlier this morning arguing that this controversy has been good for Flash as Adobe has gotten off their butt and started to make necessary improvements. Take a [url]"http://blog.laptopmag.com/mobile-flash-fail-weak-android-player-proves-jobs-right"]look[/URL] at this review of Flash on other mobile devices....there is lots of work that needs to be done.
--
Murray