missg8tordivr

Web Cams

I have wanted to see if there is a way to use a web cam for dog watching and/or security. Problem is, there are so many free programs that it makes me wonder about accessible to other people. Anyone have experience with the software that is out there already?

Do you have a playstation3 and a psp?

My cousin has an I-cam thing you use for games with the playstation3. She can see the inside of her living room with it if she leaves it on by using her psp.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

I dunno, the one I've been using to watch you shower is pretty secure!:ph34r:

You should see the bedroom Cam -

Man oh man - never knew she could bend that way.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I't's the "inside the toilet cam" that is really interesting tho!

I'm not into scat . . . but hey - I like the way you think.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It's very possible to use it as a security camera but your only problem will come in terms of data storage space. You could use it as a security camera right now by opening a program like Skype, opening the video settings (Which brings up a display of the camera) and then using screen capture software to record that area.

The general problem is that most programs record uncompressed, meaning you're probably looking at about 1gig per minute that will be stored onto your hard drive. So you need a huge hard drive if you plan on recording activity and even then will need to erase it each day.

If you're looking for remote webcam software, just so you can log in at any time and view what's going on that's a lot easier and while I don't know any names of software I know there is plenty of software that allows it and that many of them work perfectly...

Not that the idea of ever remotely accessing anybodies webcam has ever crossed my mind :)

PS: In regards to being accessible by other people. You just need a piece of software that requires a login type action and then generates a code/password to be able to view the session of the cam.

But there shouldn't be worries if it's a trusted piece of software...

That said... Someone can gain control of your webcam probably just by phishing you to open a certain page on a website.

Commence paranoia.

Hola chica...

This stuff is completely foreign to me, and this might be more $$$ than you want to spend, but I know someone that used this system and was happy with it. He even got to see the beginnings of his office burning down from the inside after an electrical wiring issue started a fire.

http://www.knowyournanny.com/m7_view_item.html?m7:item=AMIPZW400
Killing threads since 2004.

I have wanted to see if there is a way to use a web cam for dog watching and/or security. Problem is, there are so many free programs that it makes me wonder about accessible to other people. Anyone have experience with the software that is out there already?

I had some software on my desktop computer that as long as I left the computer on (or if it automatically got rebooted in case of an outtage) it would take snapshots every time it detected motion.

You could set up the folder for it to put the pictures in to an FTP/website and view the pictures. Didnt take up much space and if you have a broadband connection, shouldnt be too slow.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Do you have an iPhone? If so I saw this awesome so try on the news the other day about a program they have just for that(can't remember the name to save my life) but you can open it and view live streams from the camera at anytime as well as it would send a text message if it detects movement. The story was about a guy using it who actually sat and watched people rob his house while he was gone, and also watched them get arrested after he called the cops lol

Looking for remote viewing, and if possible, motion detection. Found some software yesterday that stores the images/videos on their own data base, which you can go in and remove at any time. Have to dig more to find out more....

Gators mentioned iPhone. The app is iCam. Cost: $4.99 for the app plus webcam cost. Allows you to remotely monitor multiple live feed video and audio webcam feeds from your iPhone, iPod or iPad over WiFi, 3G or Edge networks. Also has motion detecting and will text you if someone is going on.

Looking for remote viewing, and if possible, motion detection. Found some software yesterday that stores the images/videos on their own data base, which you can go in and remove at any time. Have to dig more to find out more....

Gators mentioned iPhone. The app is iCam. Cost: $4.99 for the app plus webcam cost. Allows you to remotely monitor multiple live feed video and audio webcam feeds from your iPhone, iPod or iPad over WiFi, 3G or Edge networks. Also has motion detecting and will text you if someone is going on.

I do have an iPhone! I will definitely take a look into this app and see how it works out. Do you know off hand if it works with any webcam, or do you have to get a specific kind from apple? Thank you!
F LORIDA!

I do have an iPhone! I will definitely take a look into this app and see how it works out. Do you know off hand if it works with any webcam, or do you have to get a specific kind from apple? Thank you!

And actually DropCam is a free app. I've found the "DropCam" webcams are awesome, albeit more expensive than other webcams. Plus, it can be a stand-alone system. They have a monthly fee, but can off-site store your images? I'll have to research that a lil more.......

I believe iCam works with any webcam. I'm still researching this same thing, like you. See my other message regarding the app "DropCam". They sell their own webcam, but more expensive.