FlyingJ

Hummingbirds...HELP!

It's that time of year again. The hummingbirds are here and on any given day there are 10 to 30 of them stuck out in the ambulance bay, unwilling to come down from the ceiling in order to duck out through the door and avoid certain death.

We've tried a number of fixes.

We removed the red garage door string handle things that supposedly attracts them. Unfortunately our ambulances all have significant amounts of red, so little chance of that stopping them.

We've hung hummingbird feeders near the doors trying to attract them down. That only attracted more birds into the bay.

We've tried turning the lights out which is supposed to make them land as they don't like flying in the dark. Some of them have landed, but take off as soon as approached, and others never landed on the ground, instead choosing on top of the ambulances or on steel girders, etc. (Edit to add: Not to mention...finding something the size of a hummingbird inside a 5 bay garage in the pitch black with just a flashlight isn't as easy as it sounds!)

So, anyone out there have another suggestion?

Unfortunately leaving the doors closed is not an option. We are in South Texas and we work out in the bay (it's a 5 bay ambulance garage) all day long. If we close the doors we'll have medics dying, not hummingbirds.

I've googled away (as have others in the past) and have tried just about everything we've found. Any other tips are appreciated!

They are pretty cool birds. It sucks to show up on any given morning over a month long period and see 10 or 20 dead on the ground. Help me out here!
Killing threads since 2004.

mabye some of those ultrasonic noise makers?
i work at an airport and we have problems with pidgeons, we use something called "hot foot"
it basically burns the birds feet. i dont know if your hummingbirds are landing and hanging out, if they are hotfoot will keep them from landing wherever you put it. it burns humans too so dont get it on you. good luck and thanks for looking out for the birds!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Can you put fans along the ceiling? Or maybe hang a mesh curtain across the top of the bay (so that they can't fly in, but the wind still goes in and out)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Buy a tarp and use contact cement to glue it to the beams creating a no landing zone. The HBs will have to find somewhere lower to land and then you can use a leaf blower to usher them out.

What I had to do when they got caught up in the patio rooms at the house, I had to chase them until they got tired - they will wear out thier energy reserves pretty quickly without sugar to fuel them.

The leaf blower is to be used with care - it can hear them.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What is the problem with them? Besides having to clean up the dead ones in the morning? Is it an hygiene issue or what?

Think about it this way. You have two kinds of birds. The stupid ones that come to die in your ambulance bay and the smart ones that don't. If you protect the stupid ones they'll get to breed and their progeny will come next year to die in your ambulance bay again. If instead you'll endure and let them all die then the stupid ones will be out bred by the smart ones and the problem solves itself.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Unfortunately capital improvements are out as any expenses would be out of individuals pockets and I don't believe it's a big enough issue for anyone to be ponying up enough change for that.

Keep in mind we are talking about thousands of square feet of space and 10 bay doors (5 front and back).

The ceiling is 20-30 feet high. Occasionally when one has made it to the ground we have moved it but everyone I know of has died from either exhaustion or starvation (which can apparently happen in as little as an hour or two of constant freaking out without any food).

I'll be honest. This really isn't my thing. I'm all for Darwin, etc., but I'm tired of people constantly whining about all the dead birds but not doing anything about it. I thought I'd come here and see what messed up advice the dotcommers might come up with!

We frequently get larger birds stuck in here too. That is usually solved with nerf guns. One good hit with the soft dart usually stuns them just enough to be able to pick them up and move them outside. Those always get back up and fly away!

For the person that asked...the birds don't usually cause much of a sanitation/stink issue. They are so small they dry out pretty quickly. Lots tend to die in our wash bay though which is always damp and the ones in there do tend to stink a bit if they aren't found promptly.

Hmmm...thinking of the wash bay. I'm wondering if spraying the pressure washer up at the ceiling would force them down to the ground. That high up it would only be a strong mist hitting them. Wonder if it would weight them down to the point of landing.

That will have to wait until tomorrow morning when all of the trucks are pulled out to wash. Will update then!

Hmmm...thinking of the wash bay. I'm wondering if spraying the pressure washer up at the ceiling would force them down to the ground. That high up it would only be a strong mist hitting them. Wonder if it would weight them down to the point of landing.

If you combined the water spray with a refrigerant spray to freeze the water, that should ice up their airframes, and that would bring them down.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

If you combined the water spray with a refrigerant spray to freeze the water, that should ice up their airframes, and that would bring them down.:D

Holy shit. That's the funniest thing I've read all day. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Always be kinder than you feel.

Unfortunately capital improvements are out as any expenses would be out of individuals pockets and I don't believe it's a big enough issue for anyone to be ponying up enough change for that.

Contact local animal-welfare organizations like your local humane society or otherwise. They will include your dilemma in an email newsletter or something of the sort, and monetary donations from members/supporters, solutions, volunteer-help etc. will surely follow.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Contact local animal-welfare organizations like your local humane society or otherwise. They will include your dilemma in an email newsletter or something of the sort, and monetary donations from members/supporters, solutions, volunteer-help etc. will surely follow.

Great idea! Hopefully, he'll take your suggestion and run with it. HB's are some of the coolest little creatures out there and are only trying to make their way home. Help the little guys out is a kind thing to do....:)

We have had really good luck with Bird-B-Gone.

http://www.birdbgone.com/products/visual-bird-deterrents/

No kidding, this thing works and it is cheap. However, the one we have has reflective mylar strips hanging below it.

We could not use our patio furniture for all the robins pooping all over it. We hung this thing up and the problem was solved.

410 and subs:ph34r: just kidding.

How about making cardboard cut outs of natural preditors, painted in
realistic colours and hanging them in the entrance to the bays,
being cardboard it would'nt damage the ambulance when it leaves.

Or as another option I've had sucsess with is hanging old cd's/dvd's
the birds don't seem to like the shiny reflective surface,also they
would'nt damage the ambulance on the way out.

Gone fishing

What is the problem with them? Besides having to clean up the dead ones in the morning? Is it an hygiene issue or what?

You missed another possibility: He cares about helping to save these beautiful creatures of nature.

Well - you could make wings . . . little on the scrawny side - but - I'd try it.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Unfortunately we are very limited in the type of stuff we can hang or post around as we have a frequently used helipad immediately behind the station and any type of potential debris is a big no no. That said, we've tried a few more options, including hanging some shiny stuff, and they still manage to find their way in. Of the 30 or so we had in there the other day though it seems about half either found their way out or died and never made it to the ground where we could find them. I hope they managed to get out vs. the latter. I'm not sure if there is something different about the migration this year but we've seen an increase in how many have found their way in compared to prior years. Unfortunately I think it might have something to do with a new truck we received that has a LOT more red on it than our other trucks.

That said, in the last week it seems we are finding a smaller percentage dead on the floor, so like above, some are either finding their way out or they are dying in a more stealthy manner. I'm surprised we even see any birds over our way with how many hundreds of feeders (maybe even a thousand or more) folks have up in the RV resort behind the station. If only the birds knew how much tastier those feeders are compared to the red paint on a truck!

If this is a big deal around the office (which it sounds like it might not be) you could see about installing some garage door type windows (commonly found at hooters, but smaller) towards the top of the ceiling. That would provide light and ventalation as well as let the guys that get lost in there find their way out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Unfortunately we are very limited in the type of stuff we can hang or post around as we have a frequently used helipad immediately behind the station and any type of potential debris is a big no no.

I think you misunderstood what I was meaning . . .

Here is a photo

Dude:

The Farm has a similar problem. They fly in the hanger and up to the top and get stuck and i guess overheat and end up falling on the packing area.

No Shit. I saw a lady there bring more than one hummingbird back to life. She got some Gatorade and poured some in the cap and stuck the birds beak in it to make it drink. After a while it drank it up and was back to itself and after a while flies away. So cool to watch.

It was like a fricking National Geographic special in real life. One of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Hummingbirds are pretty cool and very small.

Dude:

The Farm has a similar problem. They fly in the hanger and up to the top and get stuck .

I've seen this happen a few times. I remember just muttering, "hey dumbass, there's a giant hangar door wide open right over there..." :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban