iluvtofly

How NOT to exit a helicopter.

It's awesome when a person is trying so very hard to look cool by doing something and it ends up on YouTube for our amusement.

I also see it as a good lesson. You need to be VERY aware of little things like that. I can tell you for sure no one else at the boogie made the same mistake as me. They all knew to look for that thing before they slid down to hang.

I am just a big fan of the "Crucifixion Exit" arms out to the side at 90 degrees.. looking up at the blades and fall back doing a few layout flips... it looks and feels cool:)

You're SO religious.
:D:D

I call that the Nestea Plunge.

DUDE.. all those years of private parochial school..... what the hell do you expect....:ph34r::ph34r:

We brought in a helicopter 2 weekends ago. After looking at the skids, we decided that hanging would not be allowed. This video proves we made the right choice! In our case it was hose clamps holding skid shoes to the bottoms of the skids. The pilot said that next time they can turn them around or take them off.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

It's awesome when a person is trying so very hard to look cool by doing something and it ends up on YouTube for our amusement.

Fuck dude-was that supposed to be a news flash? I'm betting that most people had already figured out that things didn't go as planned. Must be tough seeing the screen looking down your nose like that.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Fuck dude-was that supposed to be a news flash? I'm betting that most people had already figured out that things didn't go as planned. Must be tough seeing the screen looking down your nose like that.

Right, because there's no tradition in skydiving where people give each other shit for their foolish but survivable mistakes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks for the lesson learned. You're not the first, nor the last, person to get hung up on the aircraft. Glad you're okay. :)
Did you think of reaching the other hand up to pull up or swinging a leg up onto the skid? Don't know how easy or hard that would be, just thinking out loud.

Not at the time. But after watching the video a few times I did. Hind sight is 20/20. But if I ever get in that situation again (although I would think I've learned my lesson on this particular situation) then I have a feeling I would do it differently. I was just lucky we were the first ones out and there was someone in there to help me.

Another interesting thing, talking to the pilot later that day about what happened he said he could have easily landed with me hanging like that. He would have simply hovered a few feet off the ground while I got myself unhooked. Now THAT would have been an interesting flight and story.

Now just think if that was your packing tool that got hung up on the skid.

I haven't jumped with that on in a long time. That balloon video was from 2 years ago. It was a case of me being in a hurry. I often forget I'm even wearing it. But after having it whack me in the chin and neck on a couple of jumps I quickly learned to take it off.

Don't ever wear it. Ever. Thanks.

I only wear it on days that I'm packing. It's the only way I don't lose it. But if I'm on the plane and notice I forgot to take it off I'll throw it in my pocket.

No.

Ever.

Wrapping something around your neck that will kill you before it breaks is not a good idea.

Find another way to stow it.

We'd miss you. (although the risk is low, why take it?)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Damn. That chest strap looked like it was pulling up big time.

I know a one handed pullup was mentioned, but could you reach your other hand back up and lift yourself with both to unhook maybe?

I've tried the hang exit on a chopper and a balloon once or twice and just fell off.

Have managed to do a Skyvan and a Cessna bar hang though. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Damn. That chest strap looked like it was pulling up big time.

I know a one handed pullup was mentioned, but could you reach your other hand back up and lift yourself with both to unhook maybe?

I've tried the hang exit on a chopper and a balloon once or twice and just fell off.

Have managed to do a Skyvan and a Cessna bar hang though. :)

Didn't think about that till after. As I told John Mitchell, hind sight is 20/20. I was trying to do a one handed pull up while trying to flip the chest strap over the hook with the other hand. Probably would've worked better had I just done a pull up with both hands.

Never mind.>:(

:S>:(:([:/]:|B|

She's kinda missing the enitre point:S

No...I'm well aware of what you guys are saying.

ETA...I don't even know why it's being discussed in this thread. It was in no way a part of the situation that occured. It was only brought up because of a video over 2 years old that I posted on facebook.

ETA...I don't even know why it's being discussed in this thread. It was in no way a part of the situation that occured. It was only brought up because of a video over 2 years old that I posted on facebook.

It's because people care. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I understand and apprecite that. Believe me I do. :)

+1

I have enough dead skydiving "friends" it’s one of the reasons I moved away from skydiving years ago when it was even more dangerous and got my adrenaline fix in other ways that had a lower death toll[:/]