millertime24

Paying it foward

I dont know about anyone else, but in my experience, if you do good things for folks then good things happen to you.

My most recent encounter has been someone in need of skydiving gear that I no longer needed that I gave them. Shortly after my friend let me fly his wingsuit (that I fell in love with) and he told me to keep it and pay him for it when I could.

This seems to be something that happens more often than not. So just FYI, treat people better than you expect to be treated, help out others in need (because someday it could be you), and above all kindness (if nothing else) leaves you with a good feeling.
Muff #5048

I know you. People can't help but be nice to you. You have that karma about you.:)

I've never met you in person, but I'm pretty sure the same could be said about you. I think you and your missus probably do quite a bit of paying it forward. B|

Not quite a year ago on a drunken crappy weather Saturday there was a small group of us hanging out in the loft. I jokingly made a comment to the one guy, "If you buy me this camera helmet I'll give you free pack jobs for life." To my surprise he forked over the cash and gave me the helmet. For different reasons I've packed maybe 5 times for him since. When I got my new job I told him that I would pay him back once I got the money. He said he didn't want me to pay him back but to pay it forward when I had the chance. Not even a week later I won a new Altitrack from the Leap For Lupus boogie. Since I already had one I immediately knew that I was going to give it away to someone who needed/deserved it. Several weeks later it came to my attention that one of the video guys at my dz had an altimeter that would crap out several times every jump. I know him and his wife very well. They work hard for every dollar they get and barely scrape by. Needless to say he was like a 5 year old boy getting the toy of his dreams from Santa Clause when I handed him the altitrack. He still gets the biggest smile on his face everytime he sees me. Nothing could make me happier than knowing that I was able to help someone else who needed it. :)

So what if I get suckered sometimes. What I gain from generally believing in people far outweighs the occasional cost.

I'll admit I haven't had my life's savings stolen, but then again, I haven't trusted my life's savings to someone as a measure of trust. But if a workman turns out not to be so great, or a poor person isn't poor after all -- well, just keep moving forward.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

...Nothing could make me happier than knowing that I was able to help someone else who needed it. :)

I learned a long time ago that the easiest way to make myself feel better was to make someone else feel better.

And I too tell people that I have helped to pay me back by helping the next perosn that needs it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Not even a week later I won a new Altitrack from the Leap For Lupus boogie. Since I already had one I immediately knew that I was going to give it away to someone who needed/deserved it. Several weeks later it came to my attention that one of the video guys at my dz had an altimeter that would crap out several times every jump. . . .he was like a 5 year old boy getting the toy of his dreams from Santa Clause when I handed him the altitrack. He still gets the biggest smile on his face everytime he sees me.

Super cool.B| I think sometimes the true path to happiness is to help others.:)

So what if I get suckered sometimes. What I gain from generally believing in people far outweighs the occasional cost.

Nice! It seems like it's harder and harder to find people who are more interested in helping out than in watching their backs. I don't advocate stupidity, but taking that kind of risk is so worth it!
TPM Sister #102

y' know....
There was this one time, I was in a hospital.
The nurses couldn't figure out how to move me and there was this Sargeant there.

I still need to pay that forward, right? ;)

:D:D:D Peanut has a date this weekend - maybe next weekend? :S

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I'll admit I haven't had my life's savings stolen, but then again, I haven't trusted my life's savings to someone as a measure of trust. But if a workman turns out not to be so great, or a poor person isn't poor after all -- well, just keep moving forward.

Wendy P.

Wendy, you are a kind and caring person. You don't have anything to worry about in the "karma" department! I will never forget your concern for my safety. You even offered to give me a canopy to use until I could save up to get one on my own, or work up to the canopy I was jumping. You looked at my situation and thought I was putting myself in harms way, then took the time to do something about it. My hats off to you! Thanks Again!

PS: I am still jumping the 190 Diablo and doing very well with it. But I must add that your comments and advise have made me more cautious and respectful of the hurt it could inflict. I stand up most of my landings now, even on no wind days. But I always hear something telling me, "be careful, this thing can kill you in a second!"

And that still scares the crap out of me. It's possible; it's just going about it a more dangerous way.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When i was struggling through engineering college I sudenly started getting these anonymous contributions towrd my tuition. It was always the same, $1000 each semester. All I was told was that it was from an alumni who would do this for one student at a time and all they asked was that the student did the same once they graduated and started working.
Keeping my end of the bargain, I have given roughly $50,000 total to 8 different students over the last 25 years. If each of them do the same then my investment will pay forward over $400,000. Move on to the next "generation" of recipients and it grows to almost $4,000,000.
I don't know who started it, but they sure started something good.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.