Felt the plane level off, waited for someone to shout "DOOR!"

Commercial flight pros:
+ Don't have anyone crammed between my legs
+ Quiet
+ In-flight wifi

Cons:
- Have to walk off the plane
- No freefall

Also: Today I learned that rain hurts in freefall. A lot. Don't think I'll do that again...

-Jon

Haha. Yeah, I suppose so. Next time I'll be better prepared, though. I'm moving my neck gaiters from my motorcycle gear bag into my skydiving gear bag...

I forgot to introduce myself, John, I was the guy with the red hair when you were suiting up a tandem jumper on the last load of the day.

-Jon

Today I learned that rain hurts in freefall. A lot. Don't think I'll do that again...

Yes, it does, and oh yes, you will. :D

:D:D:D

To the OP: yeah, lesson learned for me around 70 jumps... we were trying to beat the storm (by doing a 6500' H&P) and I didn't notice it was raining till I saw the caravan flying away. I sank it down to 2500' and got down as fast as I could. Would have needed a windshiled wiper if I was wearing a fullface.

I managed to land about 20 feet from the packing tent (closest I was allowed to land) and get inside before the rest of the load (that found a hole) jumped...

They regretted it.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Commercial flight pros:
+ Quiet
+ In-flight wifi

Cons:
- No freefall

Also: Today I learned that rain hurts in freefall. A lot. Don't think I'll do that again...

-Jon

That is because you are coming down on the pointy side of the drop!

Commercial flight pros:
+ Quiet
+ In-flight wifi

Cons:
- No freefall

-Jon

Jon...dear.... you are jumping in Washington... you will find yourself jumping in the rain.... again and again.... not necessarily POURING rain... but under any cloud.... you can get rain drops or snow... it goes with the territory and all the clouds.

Oh yes... the reason it hurts is you are hitting the pointy ends in freefall

:)

Commercial flight pros:
+ Quiet
+ In-flight wifi

Cons:
- No freefall

-Jon

Jon...dear.... you are jumping in Washington... you will find yourself jumping in the rain.... again and again.... not necessarily POURING rain... but under any cloud.... you can get rain drops or snow... it goes with the territory and all the clouds.

Oh yes... the reason it hurts is you are hitting the pointy ends in freefall

Just got to be real carefull to not get fully soaked or your skin wont absorb enough oxygen to keep you from passing out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Just got to be real carefull to not get fully soaked or your skin wont absorb enough oxygen to keep you from passing out.

That is total BS !! Everyone knows that the real reason we can't jump in the rain is because the rain collects in the back of the cells, pulling down on the tail, eventually stalling the canopy! ;)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I always have a look out the window and then at my wrist where I think my altimeter is, so I can determine the altitude of the cloudbase.:D

I always liked flying, even on commercial flights. And I like the feeling of the jet taking off.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I always have a look out the window and then at my wrist where I think my altimeter is,

:D Me too. Feels really strange not the have "the clock" on the back of my hand.

Of course, I'd probably get in trouble for taking my seat belt off at 1000'.:D

They probably wouldn't like you asking for a pin-check, 5 left and a cut @ 15,000' either.

First commercial flights (and last) was about a year after my first jump when I was booked to spin in Colombia. Luckily someone else paid for the flight. I remember looking at islands flying from Miami at a few grand wondering if I could make it to em on a HAHO if I had the right gear. Im guess that answer woulda been no.

Also brought my altimeter with me just to see how fast the climb to altitude would be. Thanks to all the scotch I drank before the flight I forgot to check after takeoff, but was neat seeing how many times the needle went around.

added a few:

Commercial flight pros:
+ Don't have anyone crammed between my legs (depending on the airline, them seats gets CRAMPED)
+ Quiet (unless your near a crying baby or an idiot blasting music in his headphones)
+ In-flight wifi (unless you don't have a laptop like me)

Cons:
- No freefall
- Drastically more expensive flight tickets
- dealing with the airlines bullshit when they want to do stuff like park on the tarmac for hours or circle an airport.

-Jon

Heh, stick in this sport a while and you'll find yourself doing shit you said you wouldn't do again. With the exception of safety violations hopefully... good luck.

Also brought my altimeter with me just to see how fast the climb to altitude would be. Thanks to all the scotch I drank before the flight I forgot to check after takeoff, but was neat seeing how many times the needle went around.

Less than once hopefully! :S
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Yeah, I brought my altimeter once just to see what happens. The jets are pressurized, we all know that. We leveled off above 30K feet and the altimeter only went up to 4K or 6K, I can't remember exactly.

When my wife and I go to Colorado, the altimeter is going with us. We're driving through the Rockies. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Heh, you got me.:P Honestly between the scotch at the airport and the vodka vials on the aircraft, my face was glued to the window most of the flight. I checked it saw it at 3K and assumed it went around a few times. *shrugs* The return flights it was in my checked baggage.

I didn't think about the pressurized cabin as I haven't flown commercial but that once since getting licensed.

Yeah, I brought my altimeter once just to see what happens. The jets are pressurized, we all know that. We leveled off above 30K feet and the altimeter only went up to 4K or 6K, I can't remember exactly.

Yeah, I think that's the 'make the passengers nice and sleepy' pressure. :)