loumeinhart

rant - why are chips so expensive

Now the "aroma" in the plane when it reaches 6 grand makes sense, (especially in Texas)

Have you ever had an atomic omelet?

You start with at least 6 eggs, 2 cups of cheddar, 4 slices of American cheese, salt, pepper, tabasco, sliced jalapenos, onions, diced ham and chili.

Make the omelet as you normally would, mix the onions, jalapenos and onions together as filler, fold over, cover with the slices of American cheese, cover that with the chili and cover that with the cheddar.

Its so good, so very good. Especially 2 hours later at 6k...

You can also add, diced and fried potatoes, tomatoes, picante sauce and sausage. Add an egg for each addition. If you put it all together you should use a dozen eggs. Sooo goooood.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you pay full label price for chips you are nuts. Wally world usually has the cheapest prices.
I work for frito and see the input costs every week. Our biggest cost is typically energy. It requires gobbs of heat to make chips, alot of electricty as well. Frito has done a great job of finding ways to recycle the heat and other energy that used to be wasted to preheat inputs, heat facilities and such. As mentioned above frito has been putting millions and millions of dollars into it's facilities in the last five years updating them. You would be floored if you knew what food processing equipment costs. This year alone I have been involved in numberous multi million dollar projects in my plant to make things more efficient and ensure better product quality.
We use the best raw materials that can be gotten and I will bet my money on our product over pretty much any one elses any day of the week. You don't want to see the poor quality raw materials that go into competitors low cost product. Additionally our products are the healthiest in their catagory. We have spent alot of time and money figuring out the best and most healthiest oils and other ingredients. We are the only brand that has eliminted acrylamide from our product. (a cancer causing agent according to California). Frito has an insane amount of quality control standards to assure that our products are always the best.
Our prices are higher than most competition and they are that way because we believe that they are the best product out there period. We don't make product for any other labels, and we have never used "contract manufacturers" to make our product for us. Alot of companies use contract manufacturers to make their product.
The company is a very good company to work for. I love it there. Someone mentioned health care costs...we don't have a great health plan. It's pretty much an 80/20. I've had better, but am thankful to have what I do, rather than nothing. I am in a highly skilled technical position, and am compensated slightly above average for my role, but Frito demands and gets alot of the most highly qualified people.
All in all our products aren't as unhealthy as they traditionally have a rep for. They taste more salty than most foods because the salt is applied to the outside of the product rather than cooked in, so the salt is the first thing that hits your taste buds. Chips actually have less salt in them than most crackers and such. Part of the big investments I mentioned earlier is also going towards developing healthier foods. Most of our lines offer baked products, and we have implemented formula changes to increase fiber content and such. We make alot of healthier products. We also have killed alot of healthy products, consumers speak, and consumers say they want healthy BUT spend their money on traditional products. If things don't sell (healthy stuff) we can't continue to make them. This is a niche that has grown over the years though.