Rookie120

Trains in Europe

So to make a long story short, my wife and I are flying to Paris for our anniversary. At the last minute we are now going a day early to fly to Munich for Octoberfest for a day then take the train to Paris. Anybody ever take that train from Munich to Paris and was it worth it. Or should I just grab a quick flight and say the hell with it?
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

So to make a long story short, my wife and I are flying to Paris for our anniversary. At the last minute we are now going a day early to fly to Munich for Octoberfest for a day then take the train to Paris. Anybody ever take that train from Munich to Paris and was it worth it. Or should I just grab a quick flight and say the hell with it?

Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. If you want to get to Paris as quickly as possible, I wouldn't take the train from München. Flying's way cheaper than Der Zug too (at least for domestic travel within Germany itself).

Getting from the München Flughafen to downtown's pretty easy, but it'll take about 45 min or so, and you will have to change from the S-Bahn to the U-Bahn at the Hauptbahnhof to get to the fairgrounds.

If you are going to Oktoberfest, get there EARLY (like 6 AM!) if you want to get indoor seating in a beer tent. Outside isn't too bad as long as it isn't raining.

Try lastminute.de, Condor or Air Berlin to fly from Munich to Paris. If you can't get anything, you can always take Der Zug, which is more flexible in terms of last-minute schedule changes - trains leave regularly. Bon Chance!

mh
Edit for spelling, and to add - "Be ready for sticker shock at Oktoberfest. A Maß (one liter) of beer is now approaching 9 Euros." :o And get ready for an order of magnitude more crazy than anything you have ever seen before. Oktoberfest makes Mardi Gras look like a cemetery.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Thanks for the heads up. Time isn't all that important. I just thought Takin the train would be fun to see the country side a little instead of at 30,000 ft. I might still look at the train and plane prices once I get to Munich and see what my options should be.

Last time I caight a train from Paris, I couldn;t see much as it was travelling at 340kmph and looking out the window gave me a headache...

If you can use the TGV then it will probably be faster than flying as it takes you from CBD to CBd.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Last time I caight a train from Paris

Does that train go over to Munich from Paris? Or does that train go up to Frankfurt? From what I am lookin at the travel times dont impress me much but I dont care. I'm in no time crunch anyway plus gettin to see some country side from the ground would be fun. The cost is kinda of a shock to me though. For me and my wife to hit the train I'm lookin at about $350-$400 for both of us. I can fly for that much or rent a car and see what I want to see on the way. I thought the trains in Europe were fast and inexpensive. From what I have seen they have some speed but are far from inexpensive.