JohnMitchell

Weirdest place you've misplaced your cell phone.

i just don't see a reason to take a phone into the shitter.

Multitasking.

Yep.
You haven't lived until you've been on a conference-call, and heard a toilet flush.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Someone told me once that their dog ate their cell phone... I didn't believe their story, but I still had to laugh at the idea of a phone ringing from inside a dog's tummy!! :D

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

My husband left one at about that altitude in Eloy a few years ago. My sympathies! ;)

I'll lay odds that he didn't leave it up there-he just sent it to 0 AGL by a route different than his:)

From 13K - hmmm - probably more like -2 AGL:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My husband left one at about that altitude in Eloy a few years ago. My sympathies! ;)

I'll lay odds that he didn't leave it up there-he just sent it to 0 AGL by a route different than his:)

From 13K - hmmm - probably more like -2 AGL:D

You mean 2 BGL
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I "lost" mine a few months ago. Looked everywhere, backtracking my day. Finally ended up at the mechanic's shop. Apparently it had been sitting between my legs in the passenger seat of the ambulance when my partner dropped me off to pick up my Jeep. I stepped out and the phone ended up on the ground.

The ambulance ran over the phone at the edge of the parking lot and bounced it out to the street. According to the guy working outside across the street he saw/heard something get run over by two or three more vehicles before my mechanic walked out to see what was getting run over.

It was an iphone in an otter box. When I drove back up an hour later he just shook his head and said "let me guess, you lost your phone?" He had taken it out of the case to see if there was a name on it. Nope. Screen shattered and I thought it was toast.

Turns out it still worked, ringing, dinging with text messages, etc. The only problem was that there had been a rock on the ground under the screen when it was run over. Other than the cracked screen there wasn't a single scratch.

Apple was so impressed that everything still worked that they sent me a completely free new (refurb I assume) phone to replace it and expect that they put a new screen on mine and resold it as another refurb.

Needless to say, my new iphone is still in an otter box. The previous otterbox was undamaged structurally except for a divot in the plastic screen protector that made it difficult use.
Killing threads since 2004.

I "lost" mine a few months ago. Looked everywhere, backtracking my day. Finally ended up at the mechanic's shop. Apparently it had been sitting between my legs in the passenger seat of the ambulance when my partner dropped me off to pick up my Jeep. I stepped out and the phone ended up on the ground.

The ambulance ran over the phone at the edge of the parking lot and bounced it out to the street. According to the guy working outside across the street he saw/heard something get run over by two or three more vehicles before my mechanic walked out to see what was getting run over.

It was an iphone in an otter box. When I drove back up an hour later he just shook his head and said "let me guess, you lost your phone?" He had taken it out of the case to see if there was a name on it. Nope. Screen shattered and I thought it was toast.

Turns out it still worked, ringing, dinging with text messages, etc. The only problem was that there had been a rock on the ground under the screen when it was run over. Other than the cracked screen there wasn't a single scratch.

Apple was so impressed that everything still worked that they sent me a completely free new (refurb I assume) phone to replace it and expect that they put a new screen on mine and resold it as another refurb.

Needless to say, my new iphone is still in an otter box. The previous otterbox was undamaged structurally except for a divot in the plastic screen protector that made it difficult use.

Isn't an iPhone covered for ANY damage to it if it's in an Otterbox? I heard someone saying this weekend that's why they bought one. Caues if for any reason it breaks while in the Otterbox it's completely covered.

I often lose stuff underneath the cushion of my wheelchair (everything from cell phone to keys). As of Labor Day Monday this year, I lost my glasses, & for the life of me I still can't find them. Ended up going to Costco to get a new pair. Note: as with everything else, Costco glasses cost [B]A LOT LESS[/B] than glasses from a typical eye doctor. The lost pair cost me $410.00 (eye exam, frames & lenses), while all that at Costco cost $185.00... And these new ones are actually better quality & are more durable.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Which is why my iphone lives in an Otter Box. I've dropped it several times, and it's even been stepped on once or twice. Only time that thing comes out is to clean the phone and the case.

+1 Its a hell of alot cheaper to buy an otterbox than a new screen.

AFAIK apple doesn't give you a full warranty if the phone is damaged inside an otterbox... I would love to see that in writing from them though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

By the way, that's a pretty fucked up sig line.

it seems a little fragmented.

It wont let me fit it all; I meant to change it, but I haven't been on here got a few days. Yet another family funeral to deal with (3rd one in less than a year).
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I've also washed an iPod touch (32gig 2nd generation) they dont do to well after a washing... and drying.:)

Electronics gadgets have a 50% revival success rate if the battery was dead or removed quickly, and you dry them out first before trying to test them out (turning them on). The bag-of-rice drying trick is a popular one. (leave waterlogged gadget in a bag of rice for 3 days, or alternatively leave on the top of a radiator or other warm spot for 3 days).

Yes, such techniques also saved an iPod touch that went through laundry -- I saw a photograph. Some dried water spots behind the screen, but that's it. They have nonremovable batteries, so those are harder to save, but still possible, especially if battery was almost dead. Though, the dryer trip in addition, probably was a bit too much...

Water exposure is mostly harmless compared to water+electricity (zap) which is the kicker, so battery removal is important.

Google "saving a wet phone" -- success rates are impressive if you follow instructions right. (I personally have good experience myself, too.)

I've also washed an iPod touch (32gig 2nd generation) they dont do to well after a washing... and drying.:)

Electronics gadgets have a 50% revival success rate if the battery was dead or removed quickly, and you dry them out first before trying to test them out (turning them on). The bag-of-rice drying trick is a popular one. (leave waterlogged gadget in a bag of rice for 3 days, or alternatively leave on the top of a radiator or other warm spot for 3 days).

Yes, such techniques also saved an iPod touch that went through laundry -- I saw a photograph. Some dried water spots behind the screen, but that's it. They have nonremovable batteries, so those are harder to save, but still possible, especially if battery was almost dead. Though, the dryer trip in addition, probably was a bit too much...

Water exposure is mostly harmless compared to water+electricity (zap) which is the kicker, so battery removal is important.

Google "saving a wet phone" -- success rates are impressive if you follow instructions right. (I personally have good experience myself, too.)

The ipod still worked fine, after it dried out. No taking the battery out of those things (easily)

Just some spots behind the screen and the internal speaker sounded like crap.

Nope, no coverage of the sort. OtterBox specifically states that they do not make such coverage, and I don't know about Apple, but I can't imagine they would.

In my case, I had called them to initiate a $200 replacement via AppleCare. The first person I talked to took all of my information. They needed a $600 hold on a credit card until they received the damaged phone back. My card didn't go through because of some kind of fraud alert on it I wasn't aware of. After figuring out the card problem I called back the next day to give them my card number but talked to a different guy. He had everything the previous guy had written but asked me to repeat what had happened. He said that he'd worked at Apple for 10 or 15 years and had never heard of someone replacing one of their products because it had been run over by an ambulance. He put me on hold a minute and then forwarded me to a manager. That manager asked me to repeat everything again and then he forwarded me on to someone else. I was getting pissed...all I wanted to do was pay for the new phone and get off the phone. The third guy put me on hold for 10 minutes and eventually came back and asked me to send him a few pictures of the damaged phone (and specifically of the lack of damage to the phone other than the screen). I did so and 15 minutes later he called me back, took my credit card number for the $600 hold and told me that I would have a new phone the next morning free of charge and that the $600 would credit back as soon as they received the damaged phone.

I can only assume they made the offer only because my damaged phone likely needed just a screen, but who knows. I sure wouldn't want to be the guy getting a refurb phone that had been run over by 3 or 4 vehicles, including the rear dualies of an ambulance.
Killing threads since 2004.

Nope, no coverage of the sort. OtterBox specifically states that they do not make such coverage, and I don't know about Apple, but I can't imagine they would.

In my case, I had called them to initiate a $200 replacement via AppleCare. The first person I talked to took all of my information. They needed a $600 hold on a credit card until they received the damaged phone back. My card didn't go through because of some kind of fraud alert on it I wasn't aware of. After figuring out the card problem I called back the next day to give them my card number but talked to a different guy. He had everything the previous guy had written but asked me to repeat what had happened. He said that he'd worked at Apple for 10 or 15 years and had never heard of someone replacing one of their products because it had been run over by an ambulance. He put me on hold a minute and then forwarded me to a manager. That manager asked me to repeat everything again and then he forwarded me on to someone else. I was getting pissed...all I wanted to do was pay for the new phone and get off the phone. The third guy put me on hold for 10 minutes and eventually came back and asked me to send him a few pictures of the damaged phone (and specifically of the lack of damage to the phone other than the screen). I did so and 15 minutes later he called me back, took my credit card number for the $600 hold and told me that I would have a new phone the next morning free of charge and that the $600 would credit back as soon as they received the damaged phone.

I can only assume they made the offer only because my damaged phone likely needed just a screen, but who knows. I sure wouldn't want to be the guy getting a refurb phone that had been run over by 3 or 4 vehicles, including the rear dualies of an ambulance.

I would bet that they were going to use it in a PR and had recorded your story that many times to verify and be able to edit.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

a few weeks ago my phone fell out of my pocket while packing something in the trunk of my car. After driving 1.5hrs of my 9.5hr drive that day, I realized that I couldn't find my phone. I ended up driving back and after searching for a while found it crushed on the drive way... I had ran over it>:(... still had the 9.5hr drive and this time I got to hit the DC rush hour traffic...

My phone used to have a lanyard type wrist strap. The cat loved it and would drag it around. Weird places it was found:

1. the catbox.
2. in the chinchilla cage, slightly chewed
3. under random household furniture
4. on the piano keyboard
5. on the top level of a six foot tall cat tree (now I know I didn't put it there :))