JohnGraham

"Briefcase" and "roll pack" methods of packing

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but the document on the PD website How To Prevent Hard Openings mentions "briefcase" and "roll pack" packing methods - what do these methods involve?
I might just not be recognising the terminology here - is a roll pack just another name for a precision/psycho pack? If that were so then my guess for briefcase would be that it's another name for a flat-pack, am I warm?

the briefcase pack is a flat pack, but the standard "flat pack" that most people are talking about is the stack pack, where you stack B's over A's, C's over B's, D's over C's and brakes on tope with the material flaked out between the brakes and then cucooned (sp???) around.

the briefcase is a different animal really, the canopy is laid out on it's side like a stack pack, then the nose is rolled some, and then the A's are put over the B's. then you go to the other side of the canopy and put the D's over the C's. you then take the brake lines and the rest of the tail and flake it out so it lays flat against the canopy, what i mean is you have stacked the d's over c's and you have a fold, you now flake the material out over the fold, so it looks almost if you have just folded the brake lines all the way over instead of just stacking them (essentially this is what you are doing but you need to do it neatly because of line burns.) you now bring the slider up and put it between the stablizers. now you go to the top of the canopy (by the pilot chute bridle attachment) and the side with the a's and b's you fold over a third of the way, and then you take the side with the c's, d's, and brakes and fold it on top of you a's and b's a third of the way. and you can now put it in the bag.

hope that makes some sense, if not sorry that's the best i can do.:P

i have briefcase packed more than i would like to remember at my dad's old dropzone (well over 3500
) that's how we packed all of our student rigs.

later

You almost described the packing method for a Strong F-111 tandem canopy, which will definitely slow the opening.
Alternately you could roll-pack to slow openings. Roll-packing was the only way I could get my Strato-Cloud to open softly at high density altitudes.
To roll-pack, set the brakes and flake the canopy on its side. Tightly roll the nose back to the B lines. Tightly roll the tail forward to the C lines. Pull the slider up and fold it into the d-bag.
Yes, roll-packing is radically different than pro-packing.

Your profile says that you jump a Hornet. Hornets have reputation for soft openings.
I have never seen a Hornet open hard enough to need much more than a slightly modified pro-pack. Perhaps you should ask your friendly local rigger to check for line wear/trim?

..."briefcase" and "roll pack" packing methods - what do these methods involve?
I might just not be recognising the terminology here - is a roll pack just another name for a precision/psycho pack?

I've never heard of a roll pack or a briefcase.

I've packed my Sabre2 230 using the Precision pack (text here: http://www.precision.aero/packing.htm and video here: http://www.precision.aero/packing/mvc-002v.mpg) and I love it!

It's waaaay easier to bag the damn thing than with a standard propack - remember...230'!! sucker's huge!

Doesn't seem to have any effect on openings either. Still pillow soft. They do seem to snivel just a little less.. maybe a second or two, but this is strictly an off the cuff observation.

meanwhile - i don't hate packing nearly as much!

michael

Your profile says that you jump a Hornet. Hornets have reputation for soft openings.
I have never seen a Hornet open hard enough to need much more than a slightly modified pro-pack. Perhaps you should ask your friendly local rigger to check for line wear/trim?

Just to clarify, I'm very pleased with the openings I get with my hornet from a standard pro-pack, I just read the above-mentioned document for education/interests sake and wondered what these terms meant. (yeah, I'm a geek, but I find that sort of stuff interesting enough!)

Cheers again!