kallend

Question for PC geeks

My Dell laptop has a problem with its screen memory - not sure if its software or hardware. The symptom is that the bottom few lines on the screen where the taskbar sits (in all modes of resolution) seem to be overwritten with other stuff. This is quite dynamic, the stuff at the bottom changes continuously. Sometimes (not always) the crap at the bottom is a copy of what is legitimately at the top of the screen. More often it's just dots or lines.

???? Anyone?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I had similar problem with desktop PC. It was problem with RAM on graphics card. Changing the card solved the problem.
OTOH, since this is laptop, I guess warranty could be viable solution.
Maybe you could try updating drivers...
dudeist skydiver #42

Well one thing you could do to see whether it's hardware or software related is take a screenshot of it and save the JPG.

If the taskbar is still being covered by random stuff then it's likely a software issue.

If the taskbar is appearing as it should in the screenshot and not how you see it then it's more likely a hardware problem.

Though to add, I also recall my GFX card doing something similar once, but that was on a desktop PC. If it's hardware related it's either a wiring problem to the screen or a problem with the graphics I'd say.

Well one thing you could do to see whether it's hardware or software related is take a screenshot of it and save the JPG.

If the taskbar is still being covered by random stuff then it's likely a software issue.

If the taskbar is appearing as it should in the screenshot and not how you see it then it's more likely a hardware problem.

Though to add, I also recall my GFX card doing something similar once, but that was on a desktop PC. If it's hardware related it's either a wiring problem to the screen or a problem with the graphics I'd say.

Unless its a HW issue which corrupts the screen buffer on the display RAM which would also show up in the screenshot.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

And you have updated your drivers recently...correct?;)

Could be drivers, video card/ram or the wiring. I would probably go with drivers first (free and easy to fix) folowed by video card/ram.

Keep in mind, not all dells are created equal, my studio 1555 doesn't have a replaceable video card/GPU ram.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What model Dell? Can you put up a screenshot?

I can't fix it, but I'm curious because I have a Dell

It's a Dell Precision M2400.

Two more data points - (1) if I connect an external monitor there is no problem. It's only on the built-in screen. (2) A screen capture does NOT show the effect.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Its a hardware issue. Either in the video card or more likely in the display itself.

I have seen a similar effect when people have tried to set the resolution different to the optimum display setting (for example the screen I am using has 1440x900 recommended - but it screws up if I go up or down 1 setting).
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

What model Dell? Can you put up a screenshot?

I can't fix it, but I'm curious because I have a Dell

It's a Dell Precision M2400.

Two more data points - (1) if I connect an external monitor there is no problem. It's only on the built-in screen. (2) A screen capture does NOT show the effect.

Use an external Web Cam.

ETA: Or a phone cam, or a cam cam.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Just remember POST
Power
On
Self
Test

Thats the beep sound you hear first when you turn your computer on. If it makes that sound then the computer tests for

CPU
Memory
Video Card

If you hear that beep it means you passed the POST test and you can rule out memory issues.

Start it up in safe mode. That should either eliminate or confirm a hardware problem by loading generic video drivers. ...although you still could have some problem with the video "card" (maybe only apparent at higher res or refresh rates) even if the screen displays OK in safe mode.

I would personally vote for either an LCD Inverter cable issue or a defunct LCD display or video card.

If it was the inverter, the screen wouldn't 'light up'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Just remember POST
Power
On
Self
Test

Thats the beep sound you hear first when you turn your computer on. If it makes that sound then the computer tests for

CPU
Memory
Video Card

If you hear that beep it means you passed the POST test and you can rule out memory issues.

And if you hear multiple beeps, you could have failed something... but remember, most laptops these days (and many desktops lately) nolonger use BIOS beep-codes... Those fuckers getting their A+ certifications got it easy now!

Just because it passes its POST, doesn't mean jack. Most newer computers by default just do a quick POST which just makes sure there is a video card there and it seems to be working, same with CPU, memory and usually keyboard.

Run memtest86 on an older computer that POSTs fine, see how many errors you get on the memory.

Keep in mind, many computers have dedicated video memory, which the BIOS POST doesn't really check. Even corrupted system memory usually isn't diagnosed correctly without something like memtest86.