BillyVance

Autodesk Inventor 2010 troubleshooting

Being a college student, I have access to free Autodesk software packages with 3 year licenses. So yesterday I downloaded Inventor 2010 Professional just so I would be able to work at home and not have to be at the school's computer lab 25 miles away to do my projects.

I downloaded what I needed, extracted all the files, went through the set-up, etc. Time to start using the program, and I can't open it. >:(

Anybody else use Inventor? Any ideas? I use Windows 7 and this is supposed to be compatible.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

maybe this?
Autodesk Inventor 2011 has been optimized to take advantage of the SSE2 extended instruction sets supported on Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64, and AMD Opteron processors. Inventor 2011 will not install on computers that do not support SSE2. Several utilities are available on the Internet that report CPUID, including supported instructions sets.
Pointy birds
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy

I have already posted questions on Autodesk's community site, but things seem to move at a snail's pace on there as far as getting answers. [:/]

BTW, I have Inventor 2010, not 2011, just because 2010 is what the school has in their computers, for compatibility concerns, whether unfounded or not....

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hmmm, looking at my profile on Autodesk, it shows that my copy of Inventor 2010 was downloaded, but not yet activated. I assume you have to open the program to get to the activation process, right?

Well there's my fucking problem. [:/]

Find the file 3dsmax.exe (not the shortcut) right click, compatibility tab and select windows xp service pack 2/3.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Find the file 3dsmax.exe (not the shortcut) right click, compatibility tab and select windows xp service pack 2/3.

Even if I have Windows 7?

Yes
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Yes

Thanks! I'll be back with the results.

Any idea where this file might be? Search is not finding it.

Just do it the 'other way' HERE

Dude, I actually ended up doing a system restore back to where the computer was before downloading the software, and then I reloaded it. This time it worked.

The next problem I'm having is that when I finally opened it up, the activation window popped up as I expected it to, but somehow in the process of retrieving the activation code, I closed that window. Now I can't figure out how to get that window to come back up so I can complete the activation. [:/]

Dude, I actually ended up doing a system restore back to where the computer was before downloading the software, and then I reloaded it. This time it worked.

The next problem I'm having is that when I finally opened it up, the activation window popped up as I expected it to, but somehow in the process of retrieving the activation code, I closed that window. Now I can't figure out how to get that window to come back up so I can complete the activation. [:/]

Activation menus are usually under the Help or About menus up on the top left (File, Edit...)

Activation menus are usually under the Help or About menus up on the top left (File, Edit...)

Hmmm, well it's a moot point anyhow. I just checked my account at Autodesk and it says the software was activated 3 days ago. It said not activated yesterday! :S

I'm good for 3 years. B|