matthias

shoulder/bicep tendinitis recovery

For a week (or more) I've had acute tendinitis in the tendons between the upper bicep and shoulder muscles in my left arm. (If anyone saw the guy wearing a sling at the Rose benefit cracked out on painkillers...that was me :S)

I do not know specifically how I hurt it. On my jumps where I wasn't wearing a wingsuit, I was practicing turning my sitfly into a stand. Improper arm position with the faster relative winds may have caused it. I also work out extensively, work construction, swim, practice, krav maga (self-defense). SO it may of been one or a combination. All I know is now I cannot do ANY of them.

I was diagnosed last weekend and I've kept it on ice, let it rest, and take my anti-inflammatories. My question is:

How will I know when I am really ready to return to the sport? What I dont want to do is get lulled into thinking its safe to do so simply because my shoulder no longer hurts. The physician's assistant at the VA didn't tell me much of anything as far as recovery times or rehab.

Anyone go through this or know someone who has? I just want to be safe as I've always tried to be in this sport. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Didn't they send you to a Physical Terrorist?

I went through a bout of tendonitis in my right elbow several years ago, and PT's fixed me up.
One year ago my back went out, and it was PT's to the rescue again.
Right now I'm going through what I thought was a recurrence of the tendonitis, but it may be a pinched nerve, and I am working with PT's again.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm doing PT for tendonitis and arthritis in my AC joint in my shoulder. I've gotten cortisone shots, but my doc told me the thing that will fix me up the most will be the exercises. PM me your e-mail address and I'll scan the exercise sheet for you.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Didn't they send you to a Physical Terrorist?

I went through a bout of tendonitis in my right elbow several years ago, and PT's fixed me up.
One year ago my back went out, and it was PT's to the rescue again.
Right now I'm going through what I thought was a recurrence of the tendonitis, but it may be a pinched nerve, and I am working with PT's again.

I've gone through it with my left elbow and shoulder over the past two years. For me, though, the doc gave me a cortisone shot each time and told me to back the weight off in my workouts for a couple of weeks. No PT and I was back to 100%, but I'm also in the gym 5 days a week lifting, so I don't know if that made a difference.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For a week (or more) I've had acute tendinitis in the tendons between the upper bicep and shoulder muscles in my left arm. (If anyone saw the guy wearing a sling at the Rose benefit cracked out on painkillers...that was me :S)

I've had both medial and lateral epicondilitis, AKA tennis and golfers elbow. Both are tendonitis (neither of which were caused by golf or tennis ;)

I've had them one at a time, and both at the same time, and in both arms. I'm very active with weights, martial arts, jumping, etc

Its usually sword training or weights that triggers it.

When i get a flare up of one of these its usually a good couple months before the pain is gone, but i am usually back at whatever I'm doing in a matter of a couple weeks with the help of a lot of ibuprofin and naproxen, and I try to avoid the specific sword moves that irritate it or back off the weight for a while when lifting

Short answer, for mine its a couple weeks before I resume semi-normal activity level, and a couple months for the pain to subside completely.
__

My mighty steed

The key is a slow return to exercise.

15 years ago I developed tennis elbow from closing tight reserves. Since quitting rigging was not an option, I used two solutions. The short-term solution was to wrap a tight band around my fore arm and the long-term solution was to invent a new tool for closing reserves.

2 years ago I was recovering from an achromium clavicular ligament torn in a plane crash. That took most of a year to heal and I still get occasional dull aches in my right arm. My recovery - from the plane crash - started with two months of rest and pain-killers. Then I started physio-therapy with two pound weights.
Three months into my recovery, I made the mistake of allowing my boss to bully me into packing some mains. BIG MISTAKE! That destroyed the schedule -written by my orthopedic surgeon - and set my recovery back several months. It was five months before I could return to solo jumping and eight months before i could return to tandem jumping. I proved my machismo - for a year - by doing more tandems, more push-ups, more chin-ups etc. - than TIs half my age - but eventually tired of the whole fiercely competitive for the sake of being fiercely competitive macho B.S.

In conclusion, there are two ways to recover from skeletal-muscular injuries: slow and real slow. The key is patience.