R6F4orR1

Toe Shoes (Barefoot Shoes)

When I started skydiving last summer I noticed a few people wearing these funky looking shoes. Over the last year, I have noticed even more people wearing them. Now that I have done some searching on the net, I am interested in getting a pair. The Women's forum had a thread about this awhile back (found here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3903942;search_string=vibram;#3903942) and in 2008 they were briefly discussed here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3213879;search_string=vibram;#3213879.

The ones I am specifically looking at are the Vibram FF KSO's, http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_KSO_m.cfm. Has anyone worn them? What are your thoughts on them for running? Skydiving? General wear while out and about?
I normally wear Adidas Sambas for everyday wear and skydiving. The Sambas are comfortable and have a fairly thin sole, although not as thin as the toe shoes.

Let me know what you think.

I want to get some when I get back to the States.

I bought the KSO and a pair of the Injinji socks from REI recently.
I am trying to slowly get back into running after doing only cycling since foot surgery a few years ago.
Most comfortable footwear I ever worn.
Only downside is getting them on, since it's a bit tricky getting the toes to line up with the pockets.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have a pair of KSO Treks and swear by them. They are a pain to put on when new but once you've worn them awhile they form to your foot like a glove and are easier to put on. I am not a fan of jumping in sandals/Tevas etc and I don't think it would be a good idea to jump in 5fingers. I've seen too many people hurt themselves(feet) all in the name of looking cool by wearing sandals/Tevas.

If you get a pair, don't try doing your usual run/workout in them as it will smoke your leg muscles like you could never imagine. Wear them around and do short runs/workouts in them until the muscles in your feet and legs can adapt to the new stresses.

PS: get them from a reliable store/source as these shoes are being copied and sold like crazy all over the internet.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

i bought a pair of KSO's a couple years ago. I love them and wear them everywhere. I never jumped in them though because they really don't offer a whole lot of protection. If you want a light thin soled shoe for jumping, try the Puma speed cats also.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

So....let me ask the dumb ass question.
Socks? What kind? And if so where do you buy those?
Shah
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

This is like some sort of strange fetish!
If you wish to give it a shot you will need to buy these parts and that extra bit and dont forget the leather!
Cool concept maybe Ill give it a shot.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If you get a pair, don't try doing your usual run/workout in them as it will smoke your leg muscles like you could never imagine. Wear them around and do short runs/workouts in them until the muscles in your feet and legs can adapt to the new stresses.

No kidding!:o
I started out with 5 mile hikes and have been working my way up to running.
It took about 3 miles on the first hike just to learn how to properly walk again.
A few hikes later I finally worked my way up to jogging about 50% of it.
The next day I felt like I had been doing calf raises for two hours with weight.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Shah

Toe shoes need toe socks.

http://tinyurl.com/2b8l2ec

I don't know that you need to have socks with these shoes. I haven't seen anyone who wears these wear them with socks. I don't wear socks with mine and the idea of wearing socks with them seems counter intuitive to me.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Shah

I don't know that you need to have socks with these shoes. I haven't seen anyone who wears these wear them with socks. I don't wear socks with mine and the idea of wearing socks with them seems counter intuitive to me.

Thems the same kinda people that wear socks with Tevas too!:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The Injini toe socks are comfortable and keep your KSO's from getting real stinky. You can order them form the Vibram website. I only use the socks when it is real cold out though because they are a pain to put on.

+10 on taking it easy when you first get them. Holy shit my legs were sore. Must be doing a lot of good though.

Jumping in them feels nice, but if you walk through tall grass you will constantly be getting vegetation jammed up between your toes. It's very annoying.

Shah

Thems the same kinda people that wear socks with Tevas too!:D:D

Like Livendave? :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

OK, so I've been wearing them every day for the last month or two. I walk about four miles every day to and from work. A few things:

1. I worked out a technique for getting them on, including the pinky toe. I can now get them on faster than getting on and tying my old shoes (FiveFingers don't have laces).

2. Yes, I wear socks. You can wash the shoes, but the do make your feet stinky in a synthetic-rubber way. Injinji charges a butt-load for men's toe-socks ($24 per pair for long ones :o). I went to the women's section of Target today and found toe-socks there for $7. It's a bit of a conspiracy, because all the women's toe-socks are crazy colors that any homophobic guy would never wear. I found some that are mostly black and ended up turning these inside-out, just so the stupid designs don't show to the public.

3. A few people have mentioned it - these things kill your calf-muscles when you start to run, so take it easy. I walked for a few weeks first, then ran two half-miles, and I was sore for a few days afterwards.

4. I plan to get a second pair of the neoprene ones for walking when it snows outside. I think they'll still get wet, but I'm hoping, like my scuba wet-suit, that it will build up a thin layer of heated water that keep my feet warm in the snow. I have no idea if that will work, it's just a theory. For backup, I'll just hike to work with my ducks and change shoes at the office.

5. I think they are better than walking with supportive shoes, which have probably weakened our foot and ankle muscles. At the same time, we didn't evolve to walk around on concrete and asphalt all day, so I try to walk on grass and dirt as much as possible.

6. One poster mentioned weeds between the toes. Yep. Water, too. Pebbles, sticks, etc. Downtown is a dangerous place because of all the glass and broken metal/plastic and nails everywhere. I definitely ain't walkin' anywhere there might be snakes. You can't walk unawares - you have to pay attention all the time to where your feet are going. Probably a good thing.

7. You do stub your toe a lot - the shopping cart at the grocery store and the office chair are the two biggest culprits for me. And I'm more protective of my feet than ever - always scanning the ground, and watching out for other people walking too close to you.

8. People notice them. Don't wear them if you're not willing to talk about them, because you get a lot of questions. "Are they comfortable?" is a popular one. How am I supposed to know if someone else will think they're comfortable? All I can say is I like them.

9. They feel really good to run in.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Do you do any weight training in them? Like heavy squats or dead lifts?

I'm shopping for a new set of gym shoes, but I do a heavy split based on a lot of traditional power lifting movements. My Oakley boots work well when lifting heavy, but am drawn to the idea having a more natural foot/heel angle.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For years I used wrestling shoes for lifting. I know a few guys who use climbing shoes (so they can go right to the indoor wall). I use Vibrams now and wear them near constantly. They work great for me. Next purchase will be the neoprene ones for cold water sports and the few days of the year when we have snow/slush on the ground. You can go with classics, sprints, or KSOs for lifting, but I suggest KSOs based them keeping stuff out. Just make sure you go to the Vibram site, a reputable site, or a real store to get them. I got mine from teh kayak shed. The popularity and limited supply have made cheap knock offs more common than pirated DVDs.

And for Pete's sake ignore the online "experts." It's pronounced VEE-brum or VEE-bram.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

3. A few people have mentioned it - these things kill your calf-muscles when you start to run, so take it easy. I walked for a few weeks first, then ran two half-miles, and I was sore for a few days afterwards.

No shit!:S
On one occasion, I got too ambitious with pushing from hiking to running,
and got a hell of a calf cramp that was sore for a couple days.[:/]

I just got a pair of the KSO's yesterday after my brother swore by them for years (he wears them so often that by the end of the summer, he has a FiveFingers tan on his foot!). I went on a 2 mile walk wearing them and wasn't sore the next morning -- but then again, I tend to run around barefoot whenever the weather allows, so perhaps my muscles were already used to the work. Be aware: If your walk or run with a pronounced heel strike, these shoes will cure you of it within about a mile!

I find them incredibly comfortable, and if you like walking/running around barefoot, you'll probably enjoy them, too. My suggestion would be to find an outdoor outfitter in your area that carries them, so you can try them on before you buy. Determine whether you like they way they feel, and try on the different styles to determine which one fits your needs best.

I chose the KSO's because I like the snug fit, the full foot coverage to literally Keep Stuff Out (hence the name "KSO"), and the slightly tacky-feeling soles. I haven't jumped in them yet, but plan to this weekend. As others have said, they don't offer much protection, so take that into account. But they should allow you to slip on a jumpsuit without taking them off and the tacky soles should give a good grip on the step, bar, skid, etc.

Do you do any weight training in them? Like heavy squats or dead lifts?

I'm shopping for a new set of gym shoes, but I do a heavy split based on a lot of traditional power lifting movements. My Oakley boots work well when lifting heavy, but am drawn to the idea having a more natural foot/heel angle.

It'll be like lifting barefoot - there's no heel at all.

Burdette's carry them, but they may not have your size. Check out the vibramfivefingers.com website and there's a size calculator there that will get you into the ballpark.

Note that you measure to your longest toe - if that's your second toe, you'll have to go up in size to accomodate it. Also, if you have 'hammer' or curled toes you may want to go up a size - your toes *will* straighten out.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I was in Burdettes trying them on two weeks ago. I couldn't find any that fit me just right. Although I did find a nice Benchmade 1100 series pen that fit my shirt pocket just right.B|

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was in Burdettes trying them on two weeks ago. I couldn't find any that fit me just right.

Having a toe touch the end of a pocket - ok. Having a toe *mashed* into the pocket - not ok. You probably won't have all of your toes fit perfectly - the pockets for the smaller toes tend to run long.

Although I did find a nice Benchmade 1100 series pen that fit my shirt pocket just right.B|

You? Finding a knife you like? Imagine that... ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706