Nataly

Worst hotel you've stayed in?

The Coqui Inn. San Juan, Puerto Rico. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644389-d297791-Reviews-Coqui_Inn-Carolina_Puerto_Rico.html

Really bad place, but we loved it. I really am not picky. In fact, this place added to the whole Puerto Rico experience. I brought a GPS and rented a car for 20 bucks a day. We went all over the island. Fun place. I'll try to get some pics.

My (now) wife and I stayed at this shithole of a motel on the corner of 6 and 21 in Bryan TX one night after a boogie at Skydive Aggieland. We walked in and it smelled, she pulled back the comforter and there was a large red stain on the underside of itB| She pulled ALL the bedding off and drug it up to the front office and returned with all new clean sheets and a blanket.:D

THAT is AWFUL. I dont stay in hotels unless I absolutely have to... I really get creeped out...

There are even hotels where the rates are over $100 per night that aren't worth it. B|

Tip: go to the newest one if you can help it.

Yeah, even very expensive hotels freak me out...

My (now) wife and I stayed at this shithole of a motel on the corner of 6 and 21 in Bryan TX one night after a boogie at Skydive Aggieland. We walked in and it smelled, she pulled back the comforter and there was a large red stain on the underside of itB| She pulled ALL the bedding off and drug it up to the front office and returned with all new clean sheets and a blanket.:D

THAT is AWFUL. I dont stay in hotels unless I absolutely have to... I really get creeped out...

Gonna reserve you a honeymoon sweet at a hotel that doesn't have a toilet lid.

That should be entertaining...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm pretty low-maintenance and I haven't stayed anywhere I'd consider truly awful. The worst I can remember recently was the America's Best Value Inn in Sun City (near Perris). The room itself was okay - bathroom and room were clean and everything worked well; what concerned me about it was the security - I was on the first floor so I had a sliding glass door to a patio plus the front door of the hotel room - and both of them had horrible locks on them. I ended up creating a fire hazard by shoving the table and chairs in front of the patio door and my heavy duffel bag in front of the front door. I figured at least if someone tried to break in they'd make a lot of noise trying to get past that stuff. :D:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That is cruel.

That is cruel.

Have a pre-flush checklist.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

The worst one for me was in Winnemucca, NV....The Bulls Head. We decide at midnight to drive there from Boise, ID. Rolled into Winnemucca at 6am. First place we found that was cheap we crashed at. We ended up sleeping on top of a blanket we had in the car. The shower had a dead cockroach in it......when we woke up in the afternoon the cockroach was gone. I don't even want to know what could have eaten it.

Driving back through there a couple years later we were sad to see that the motel had been torn down.

The worst one for me was in Winnemucca, NV....The Bulls Head. We decide at midnight to drive there from Boise, ID. Rolled into Winnemucca at 6am. First place we found that was cheap we crashed at. We ended up sleeping on top of a blanket we had in the car. The shower had a dead cockroach in it......when we woke up in the afternoon the cockroach was gone. I don't even want to know what could have eaten it.

Driving back through there a couple years later we were sad to see that the motel had been torn down.

I got a pickup truck and a tent to go in the bed... Mobile hotel that I never have to worry about.

I have room for one or two guests... let me know if you need a place to crash ;):)

ETA: the bed vibrates, for her pleasure.:D

I'm pretty low-maintenance and I haven't stayed anywhere I'd consider truly awful. The worst I can remember recently was the America's Best Value Inn in Sun City (near Perris). The room itself was okay - bathroom and room were clean and everything worked well; what concerned me about it was the security - I was on the first floor so I had a sliding glass door to a patio plus the front door of the hotel room - and both of them had horrible locks on them. I ended up creating a fire hazard by shoving the table and chairs in front of the patio door and my heavy duffel bag in front of the front door. I figured at least if someone tried to break in they'd make a lot of noise trying to get past that stuff. :D:D

We stayed there for Nationals in 2004, it wasn't that bad as far as cleanliness goes but i agree with you about the security. If i remember right, the chain lock thingy on the door was broken too in our room.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Our honeymoon room in Paris :ph34r:.

we were somewhat stressed out about our upcoming move to the UK and the high cost of living there that we decided to go cheap on the hotel in Paris (and booked based on a travel book recommendation). Bad mistake! lol Dirty shower, linen that looked dubious (but fairly clean) and a general dinginess to the room. Still added to the memories! lol

PS: the next time we stayed in Paris, it was at the Hotel California just off les Champs Elysees: lets just say that our financial stress wasnt justified! :)

Remster

I've just had the run-of-the-mill horrible hotels that weren't as clean or as new as you'd have liked, including one in Mexico that had mold growing on the shower handles. Eww. But one of the ones that stands out to me was a hotel I stayed at just across what would have been the border into East Germany. It was very austere and had red Russian stars everywhere. It was clean--VERY clean--but you definitely knew you were in a different world even if the wall had technically come down.
TPM Sister #102

I'm hardly a fussy traveller

I definitely am. :$

I have made trips to San Diego several times, and the first time I elected to stay in this "resort".

Bathroom was small, dirty, antiquated with horrible water and worse lighting and the room was not much better. Service terrible. There were no bugs, though.

My hunny went to a wedding once (I smartly elected not to go with him as there were several red flags) and the hotel booked for guests was not much better than the one you described. He was supposed to call me when he started his way home (about a 10-hour drive). I got a call at 7 a.m. and he said he would be home by lunch. :D

When it comes to being less than comfortable--for me--unless the reward is well worth the price, I say life is too short to settle for less than desired.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

A Howard Johnson motor lodge in the middle of nowhere in central Massachusetts. We were on our way up to Maine and made the mistake of taking the GW Bridge route instead of the Tappan Zee route, and were trapped in the toll line for literally about 4 hours. By 3am in Mass, I (driving) was beginning to hallucinate and could go no further, so we stopped there.

Stereotypically filthy room - we slept in our clothes; showered wearing flip-flops, etc.

But what makes this story-worthy is that when we walked into the "lobby" to wake up the rumpled, drooling desk clerk to check in - behind the counter a little TV was playing the movie "Psycho", and right at that moment was the scene where Janet Leigh is checking into the Bates Hotel. I swear to God, my wife will verify it, and 20 years later she still tells the story.

---------------

Runner-up was some dive near Virginia beach that had a huge mirror lining the entire wall next to the bed. I think "by the hour" guests were more commonplace.

I'm hardly a fussy traveller-I've been known to sleep in my car and consider it a decent alternative to hotels! If I do have one pet peeve, though it has to be cleanliness-even the cheapest places can afford basic cleaning supplies...

So tonight I find myself in the only available room under €100 and it is dirty, flea-infested & reeks of cigaretts... And no, I'm not kidding about the fleas. On the plus side, it has wifi, a tv, and is only 400 meters from the train station, so I guess it's not all bad... [:/]

Honestly, though... A bit of bugspray, a quick spin of the vacuum and clean sheets... Is that really asking too much for €50 per night?

Please comment and while you're at it, feel free to share horror stories-surely people can one-up me on this one and make me feel better :D:D:|

I have never intentionally stayed at a seedy motel...
that is not to say that I didn't wake up in a few.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm hardly a fussy traveller-I've been known to sleep in my car and consider it a decent alternative to hotels! If I do have one pet peeve, though it has to be cleanliness-even the cheapest places can afford basic cleaning supplies...

So tonight I find myself in the only available room under €100 and it is dirty, flea-infested & reeks of cigaretts... And no, I'm not kidding about the fleas. On the plus side, it has wifi, a tv, and is only 400 meters from the train station, so I guess it's not all bad... [:/]

Honestly, though... A bit of bugspray, a quick spin of the vacuum and clean sheets... Is that really asking too much for €50 per night?

Please comment and while you're at it, feel free to share horror stories-surely people can one-up me on this one and make me feel better :D:D:|

With a sore ass?

With a sore ass?

No.

just No.:|
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

No.

just No.:|

Thats what she said...B|

Only until that stuff kicked in.[:/]

Shhh, just go with it... don't fight it.

Sign this agreement to have consentual sex please.

I waited to book a hotel at the last minute for a sporting event. Everyone in town was sold out. Ended up paying 90 bucks for one night a motel 6. I almost always splurge on hotels, so my standards are a little high. But my god. Walking in I thought there was an ash tray hanging under my nose. The bed I had to pull sheets off just to verify it wasn't a concrete slab it was so hard. Light in bathroom was out. The tv remote looked like someone shoved it up their ass. No joke. And they obviously took a lighter to it as all buttons were melted. More haunting was the fact that walking through the parking lot a group of guys on the balcony yelled, "Show us your dick".

Russia...:S...only place in a small town & we were there a week plus.

Didn't have hot & cold water...it was black or brown, it was either freezing cold in the room, or 110 degrees.

Left with 1/2 the clothes we brought, and saw locals wearing our stuff on the street.

Had the Militia (police) break in one morning, got the wrong room, they were looking for a local official that was about to miss his train to an important meeting...they literally knocked the door off it's frame.

One bathroom on the floor and it had no door, T.P. was a stack of magazines. (watch for staples!)

...on the other hand the price was great, about 5.00 a day! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~