Nataly

Worst hotel you've stayed in?

I'm hardly a fussy traveller-I've been known to sleep in my car and consider it a decent alternative to hotels! If I do have one pet peeve, though it has to be cleanliness-even the cheapest places can afford basic cleaning supplies...

So tonight I find myself in the only available room under €100 and it is dirty, flea-infested & reeks of cigaretts... And no, I'm not kidding about the fleas. On the plus side, it has wifi, a tv, and is only 400 meters from the train station, so I guess it's not all bad... [:/]

Honestly, though... A bit of bugspray, a quick spin of the vacuum and clean sheets... Is that really asking too much for €50 per night?

Please comment and while you're at it, feel free to share horror stories-surely people can one-up me on this one and make me feel better :D:D:|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Omg-you can't leave me hanging like that! Detail, DETAILS!!!

Eta: btw this is not the worst hotel I've stayed in but I also don't have anything properly horrific to contribute to this thread!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

There was a hotel off a dark desert highway...

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Augusta Inn was pretty sketchy... but Knights Inn (in Augusta, GA)... that place is a whole different level of scary.

Ahh, hotel parties... those were the days!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Ha ha! That just reminded me of our post boot-camp graduation party! We booked this place that sounded pretty classy called White Towers or something like that... When we told our instructors they sort of chuckled and when we got there we understood why... What a shithole! But apparently they get lots of business from all the bootcamp grads because it sounds like a classy place!! :D

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

that one in the circle right next to the Orlando wind tunnel - circa 10 years ago or so

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ha ha! That just reminded me of our post boot-camp graduation party! We booked this place that sounded pretty classy called White Towers of something like that... When we told our instructors they sort of chuckled and when we got there we understood why... What a shithole! But apparently they get lots of business from all the bootcamp grads because it sounds like a classy place!! :D

My ENTIRE company would go out and get rooms at the Augusta Inn... usually booking them solid, then we just got the booze, and you could walk down the halls and whatnot going room to room getting hammered.

It was funny, we took one weekend off to do something else as a company, when we got back, I got in a cab to go somewhere and they asked which company I was in. I told them and they asked where the hell we were that weekend.

Apparently they were used to a bunch of us getting cabs to go to the motel. :)

Yeah but it is the only hotel we got in West Point, VA. I see the cleaning crews in there in the morning when I drive by. We have several jumpers that stay there almost every weekend and i have not heard anyone say it was really nasty. granted it is not the Plaza. What exactly traumatized you about that hotel?
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-374981-augusta_inn_and_conference_ctr-i

Check out the reviews for the Augusta Inn...

I can't even find a website for them, I know they're still there as of a few months ago...

I don't remember the names of the worst, nor do I want to. :S But most of them were small independent local motels. After the first time, you LEARN to NEVER walk barefoot on the carpets. They NEVER shampoo-clean them. B| This is even true for most major older chains, and Days Inn is usually one of the worst. It seems like every single Days Inn I've ever stayed in, was managed by an Indian family (from India). Just like in the slums of India, the Days Inns in most smallish cities aren't a whole lot better. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-374981-augusta_inn_and_conference_ctr-i

Check out the reviews for the Augusta Inn...

I can't even find a website for them, I know they're still there as of a few months ago...

Eek.. Another jumper and I got all our camera equipment stolen out of our motel room in Montreal... The owner and the cops didn't give a shit... Most gutting was losing all my footage of travelling across europe... That, and realising the military base was litterally about 10 feet from that motel and if we had spent just an extra 5 minutes looking for it everything probably would have been fine (plus accomodation would have been either free or dirt cheap). D'oh. :(
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Yeah but it is the only hotel we got in West Point, VA. I see the cleaning crews in there in the morning when I drive by. We have several jumpers that stay there almost every weekend and i have not heard anyone say it was really nasty. granted it is not the Plaza. What exactly traumatized you about that hotel?

I'm a high maintenance bitch with hotels. It smelled like smoke so bad I got sick with my sinuses. The carpets felt greasy under my feet (then I made a towel walkway from the bed to the bathroom and housekeeping kept picking it up when I told them not to). Same thing with the comforter. I balled it up and put it in the corner of the room because it smelled so freaking bad. Then I would Lysol down the bed, even the sheets (and I brought my own comforter). Housekeeping would then put the disgusting, crusty comforter back on the bed on top of my clean comforter. And the bathroom was moldy. UGH.

I was afraid to sleep with the lights out the first night because I thought roaches would crawl all over me.

UGHHHHHH
Always be kinder than you feel.

I had my car stolen from outside my motel room in McMinnville, TN 13 years ago. Pissed me off. >:( The cops did find it a week later though all cleaned out. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Before we we married, my wife and I travelled through Mexico for the hell of it. A hotel in Chetumal (border of Mexico and Belize) did not have toilet seats and the towels were used by someone/something else before you. Electricity was only on from 7:00 pm until 10:00 pm. We weren't ugly Americans expecting mints on our pillows, but neither did we want any other foreign materials on our pillows.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

My (now) wife and I stayed at this shithole of a motel on the corner of 6 and 21 in Bryan TX one night after a boogie at Skydive Aggieland. We walked in and it smelled, she pulled back the comforter and there was a large red stain on the underside of itB| She pulled ALL the bedding off and drug it up to the front office and returned with all new clean sheets and a blanket.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I had my car stolen from outside my motel room in McMinnville, TN 13 years ago. Pissed me off. >:( The cops did find it a week later though all cleaned out. [:/]

Argh! :S>:(

Rather ironically, we had emptied the truck and put all our gear in the motel room thinking it would be safer there :|. Still, perhaps it's better that the thieves broke into the motel rather than the truck...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Shit, I almost need someone to steal my truck and be so considerate as to clean it out when they're done.:D

I stayed in a crack house in La Ceibe, Honduras once...by accident. That was an aweful experience. There were actually blood stains on the wall, we put a bed against the door when we went to sleep to be safe. I only realized it was a crack house when we went across the street to the bar/sandwich shop to get some food and found out they only sell beer, liquor, weed and crack.

And I almost got mugged and shot there too but I baffled said mugger by asking if I could hold his gun and ended up walking away without getting mugged.
Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

My (now) wife and I stayed at this shithole of a motel on the corner of 6 and 21 in Bryan TX one night after a boogie at Skydive Aggieland. We walked in and it smelled, she pulled back the comforter and there was a large red stain on the underside of itB| She pulled ALL the bedding off and drug it up to the front office and returned with all new clean sheets and a blanket.:D

THAT is AWFUL. I dont stay in hotels unless I absolutely have to... I really get creeped out...

THAT is AWFUL. I dont stay in hotels unless I absolutely have to... I really get creeped out...

There are even hotels where the rates are over $100 per night that aren't worth it. B|

Tip: go to the newest one if you can help it.