d_squared431

Is it wrong to ................

throw something at a speeding car when you are out playing with your kids(such as the ball you were playing catch with.)? A neighbor 3 doors down by my sisters house is constantly driving 30-40mph when I am playing with the kids. Tonight i stopped myself from throwing the ball at his truck as he flow by us. As he got out of his truck I yelled " did you not see the 7 kids out here playing?" he responded by say "yes, and fuck off."

If I threw something at the jack ass the next time he does this and I can throw accurately and hard, how much trouble would I be in?
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Couldn't he sue you for, I dunno...vandalism, or something like that?

If enough people complain to the police dept., I bet you could get an officer with a radar gun to come out. I know they've come out to my neighborhood before when people complained about people rolling through a 4-way stop. Think you can get all the parents of the kids to call?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I, uhh, "have a friend" who chunked a concrete block through a guy's windshield a while back (about 20 years ago) and nothing bad happened to "my friend". He wasn't caught but it sure did slow the speeder down.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I, uhh, "have a friend" who chunked a concrete block through a guy's windshield a while back (about 20 years ago) and nothing bad happened to "my friend". He wasn't caught but it sure did slow the speeder down.

See, to me that's a bit too blatant and if the guy wanted to make an issue out of it, well, it was obvious that it was being used as a weapon; maybe even considered a "lethal" one.

What I think you want is something the kids might be playing with like a hardball that was being thrown to one of the kids, but this jerk in his car was driving so fast he "intercepted" it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, now you're a suspect. If a truckload of lumber went down the street and a couple of 2x4's and some cement fell off and lay across the street and got rained on and made a bump in the road that wouldn't hurt a slow car but could mess up the front end alignment on a car going about 30-40 mph and nobody saw the lumber truck so they didn't know who to charge with littering then maybe the cops wouldn't need to get involved, but now you've posted about this, so you might just as well see if there are any speed limit signs in the neighborhood and ask the cops if they've seen anybody violating the speed limit.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

In Texas it would be "criminal mischief" and depending on the dollar amount of damage, it could quickly be a felony. Especially when a "little" dent on a car can quickly cost in the thousands of dollars. The end of it, though, is do not throw something at a moving vehicle.

The vehicle may not be traveling as fast as you think, in my professional experience people tend to over estimate the speeds of vehicles in residential settings by 20mph. That doesn't mean that the driver isn't driving too fast for the conditions, just that it may not be 40mph.

Contact your local PD, especially if there is a traffic division, talk to them. Do you have a HOA? You can always get the HOA involve to send nasty-grams. The thing is though, this sort of thing will many times start a petty back and forth in the neighborhood between a couple of parties. It never ends well.

Some passive ways to slow down speeders on a residential street include parking vehicles on the street (legally parked) across from each other, creating a funnel. This can be complicated with trash cans (when allowed out on the street). Understand that this is putting the vehicles and trash cans at risk of of being struck. I am not suggesting you create a road block, but objects on the side of the road can slow down drivers. A constant complaint in some neighborhoods with "cut through" streets are people speeding (by the residents) and cars parked on the road (by the speeders). It balances out usually.

You can also buy something like this: http://www.7gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/0073353878769_500x500.jpg

Put it on the side of the road, a little out from the curb where it is well seen, but not so far as to directly impede traffic.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yes, you can get into trouble. But use his speeding and the economy to your advantage. Inform local police that you have a lot of "speeders" in your neighborhood and that you would like them to monitor your neighborhood. Let them know they can catch a lot of speeders for tickets, which can raise their revenue.

Be a real shame to spill some roofing nails at the end of ass hat's driveway.

if youre going to do that, you gotta leave him a lil note along with it, so he dont get confused and think its random kids.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.