LilZilla

Hang Gliding

From what you remember of it, how did it compare to skydiving? With the new technology found in gliders today, it's amazing what you can do. I must admit, in skydiving, my greatest draw isn't the freefall but the ride down under my parachute. I'm highly considering selling off my skydiving gear n going to hang gliding.

I fly a Wills Wing Sport II 155 with a Falcon 195 as backup. I usually fly at Lookout Mountain Hanggliding Park or Wallaby Ranch.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

i fly one of these, does that count? :P really though, it is a "hang glider" with a power plant. we often shut down the engines and fly "dead stick" to the landing area. mine is made my solo wings (solowings.com) and has a 15 sq. meter wing, with 70% dual surface, cruise speed is 46 mph. plus you can fly a passenger.

i fly one of these, does that count? :P really though, it is a "hang glider" with a power plant. we often shut down the engines and fly "dead stick" to the landing area. mine is made my solo wings (solowings.com) and has a 15 sq. meter wing, with 70% dual surface, cruise speed is 46 mph. plus you can fly a passenger.

Is that the desert just outside of Vagas?(LA side) Looks Familuar!

How do you like the Sport II? I'm looking up gliders now but I'm not familiar with any of the manufactures. I'm assuming Wills Wings is equivalent to PD in the skydiving world?

How much would my skydiving experience shift over to HG n jumping into the Sport II? Or would that be too hi performance for starting out?

I plan on taking all the neccessary classes prior to buying a glider. Just doing research now.

you must be thinking of Primm, NV?

this is the "high desert"...Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, just up the I-15 from LA. That lake bed is on the way to Lucern valley on Hwy 18...the "back way" up to Big Bear. Its a nice place to fly, we have the dry lake bed, the desert, and the trees in the mountains near by.

hahaha... Paragliding looks pretty sweet too. However it doesn't have the speed HGs have. Each have their own pros. I def wouldn't mind hittin that up if HG wasn't an option.

Oh you're so wrong about speed of PG ... Google Paragliding Acro and then get back to me:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Looks like a pretty nice setup. That would be really useful in a location where it's totally flat and tows aren't much of an option. I've been looking into that route as well.

I only need 100ft to take off, and can land on a dirt path, just gotta watch the brush. We often fly over the mountains where hang gliders fly, but i think dont like us cause we make noise. :P weight shift trikes are really "barnstormer" friendly, you should see some of the places i have be able to set down and take back off from. :)

The Sport II is an H3 or higher rated glider. Many H4 and H5 rated pilots fly them. They are a nice balance of performance and stability. I love mine.

Skills don't transfer that much. Control of your body for balance helps. Ability to estimate altitude via eyeball is good. Knowledge of landing patterns is good. But control of the glider is totally different from canopy flight.

If you are physically inclined and catch on quickly, it is possible to learn the basics and do your first solo after a couple of long weekends. That assumes the weather is on your side. Flying gliders is much more dependent on launch conditions than skydiving. We spend lots of time participating in 'hang waiting' where we sit on the ground waiting for the wind gods to give us a break.

Before you start selling gear, I would suggest you go to a school and do a tandem. Just like tandem skydives, you can fly a glider with an instructor right next to you. They will even hand the controls over to you entirely once you are in flight. Even then, I would hold onto my gear. Hang gliding is fun, but the rush of freefall is really more of a kick.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

you must be thinking of Primm, NV?

this is the "high desert"...Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, just up the I-15 from LA. That lake bed is on the way to Lucern valley on Hwy 18...the "back way" up to Big Bear. Its a nice place to fly, we have the dry lake bed, the desert, and the trees in the mountains near by.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh...OK..(yep yer right btw)

Any hang gliding pilots in here? What do you fly?

Various sized falcons and currently a pulse 10. Before you sell off gear you may want to do a tandem of each Hang and Para to get a feel. HGs fly completely different than you are used to. PGs are a little more similar to your canopy but still different enough. HGs require more gear and big racks to haul it. It took me longer to make a rack for my jeep than it did to get my H-2 rating ( like an A license).

Although there are quite a few bi-wingwual pilots the PGs tend to be younger crowd. You tend to not fly them in howling wind speeds, HGs have an advantage here. HGs can fly faster and further so there are trade offs. Try them both.

the so 80's comment hit home . 1 of my roomies had a hg . this was early 80's . the cocoon type . crashed it 1st week of ownership . bruised himself up pretty good too . never fixed it and needless to say never hung again . kinda put me off the idea as well !