PhreeZone

Wrecked/abandoned car in driveway?

Looking for some opinions on this one. I like in a subdivision that is fairly nice middle class home. One of my neighbors down the block ended up wrecking his truck last January in a snow storm and towed it to his house by a towing strap and parked it in the driveway with the intentions of fixing it. I know how bad it is to wreck a car and not have the money to fix it right away so I didn't think anything of it. Since that time the truck has not moved at all and now there are rust spots forming on the driveway from where the body is now rusting and dripping at each rain storm. He's had the truck parked across the driveway sideways for almost 10 months and now he has no intentions of fixing it again since money is tight. To free up room in his driveway he ended up pushing a travel trailer onto the street and now its been parked there all summer. The city has a parking ordinance that we are not to park in one spot for more then 10 days and nothing like boats, campers, etc on the streets.

I've talked to him briefly and he just does not know how to fix the truck at this point since its going to need a lot more work then he thought at first (like most the front end needs replaced) and he does not have the money to fix it. I think he's making the neighborhood look trashy by having broken cars and trailers in the driveway and streets. He is not willing to pay storage fees on either the truck or the trailer either.

Should I talk to the zoning group about the truck as an abandoned vehicle and same with the camper or what are other peoples thoughts on it since confronting the neighbor has had no effect?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

FIDO, tell code enforcement, let them "motivate" him. You tried to talk to him like an adult and he refuses to be a good neighbor.

Those are the things that drag down a neighborhood. Its called the "broken window" theory. Once one thing is allowed to go, then its another and another and before too long your nice neighborhood isn't nice anymore.

That directly effects your home's value.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I am not surprised at all your sig is green, you want to control everybody and force them to live by your standards!:S

Either go talk to the guy, like a man, and let him know your feelings, or simply forget it and be glad it is not your house!

One good aproach is to tell him you are thinking about selling, and it is fucking up the price of homes....More thann likely he hasn't even considered how the naighbors feel!

Here are a few ways to resolve it:

1) Most states do not allow cars to be parked on the street without moving for more than a few days, call the cops and they will put a "move in 24 hours or be towed sticker"

2) If its in the driveway check the tags. If they are expired call the cops. I had a neighbor have his car towed from his driveway this way before. Something about the expired tags showed that the owner had to intent of driving/moving it which meant he was violating some other statue.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I've talked to him about it and funny enough we are looking to sell in the spring and I told him that. He flat out said he didn't care since he was having issues making his payments on the mortgage as is. He's also got piles of mulch sitting in the driveway from 2009 that he had delivered and has not mowed is lawn more then 4-5 times all summer.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Here are a few ways to resolve it:

1) Most states do not allow cars to be parked on the street without moving for more than a few days, call the cops and they will put a "move in 24 hours or be towed sticker"

2) If its in the driveway check the tags. If they are expired call the cops. I had a neighbor have his car towed from his driveway this way before. Something about the expired tags showed that the owner had to intent of driving/moving it which meant he was violating some other statue.

WOW....what ever happened to being a Naighbor first, and a Rat second? You don;t know this guys situation, But he is yoru naighbor, he deserves a chance to correct the problem himswelf before soemone calls the cops on him!

Have we turned into a nation of cop calling cowards?

BTW, I am the Captain of my naighborhood watch, I know all my naighbors within 3 blocks, the idea of simply calling the police on one of them, For a minor infraction, without having talked to them first is rediculous!

I've talked to him about it and funny enough we are looking to sell in the spring and I told him that. He flat out said he didn't care since he was having issues making his payments on the mortgage as is. He's also got piles of mulch sitting in the driveway from 2009 that he had delivered and has not mowed is lawn more then 4-5 times all summer.

Then you took step one, time for step two...(sorry about the misunderstandding)

Is it a good motorhome? I might buy it!:D

We have the same ordanance here, and there are two houses in the area that have relatives living in thier motorhomes in front of their houses, (in the street) BUT, they are kept clean, and taken care of, So they are hurting no one!

You don;t know this guys situation

Hi kettle, nice to meet you.

Phreezone already said he has spoken to the neighbor about it. So....what now? You want to give him a chance to correct it. Phreezone said January...that sounds like the guy has had 10 months to fix the problem which is WAY more than reasonable.

Ever think about Phreezones rights? He has the right to live in a nice neighborhood and not have the value of his home affected by his neighbors that dont care about theirs.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

You don;t know this guys situation

Hi kettle, nice to meet you.

Phreezone already said he has spoken to the neighbor about it. So....what now? You want to give him a chance to correct it. Phreezone said January...that sounds like the guy has had 10 months to fix the problem which is WAY more than reasonable.

Ever think about Phreezones rights? He has the right to live in a nice neighborhood and not have the value of his home affected by his neighbors that dont care about theirs.

Try reading back cornbread head!:S

Edit: What i said was mean and uncalled for. You missed some details in PZ's first post then got aggressive with me over it. Let's just kiss and make up.

Haha, since you obviously have communication issues I am going to leave this thread alone.

I dont know what you are trying to convey but I assume you want me to read further back in the thread. In fact i read the very first post, where Phreezone clearly states he had already spoken with his neighbor and how long the vehicle had been there. Had you taken your own advice then there would be no need for any of your posts here.

Buh Bye, hope ya get that wad out-a yer panties...:S

You could try seeing if anyone will haul the truck off and pay him in some way, or offer to help him take it to the junkyard to sell for scrap. Yes, doing his work for him, but it beats looking at it, right?

Or possibly put an ad in Craigslist giving his phone number and saying that he's parting out the truck >:(

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You could try seeing if anyone will haul the truck off and pay him in some way, or offer to help him take it to the junkyard to sell for scrap. Yes, doing his work for him, but it beats looking at it, right?

Or possibly put an ad in Craigslist giving his phone number and saying that he's parting out the truck >:(

Wendy P.

Point out, Scrap yards pay on average of 50 to 150 for broken trucks, then haul it for free...Cities haul it off for 150 bucks "Charge" and pay nothing!;)

Wendy P.

+1.

Do you have a HOA? If so, they could (probably) do something.

Sounds like the guy just does not care and if he is about to lose the home I'm willing to bet the truck will stay longer than him.

"Help" him sell the truck and then maybe he will be able to keep the home long enough for you to sell.;)

Edit to add:
http://311.columbus.gov/COCOSR/COCOSR_SR.aspx
http://development.columbus.gov/content.aspx?id=29569

Here's an angle nobody's quite mentioned yet. With his finances crumbling around him, his entire life is crumbling, too; or so it probably seems to him. From all the signs you mention, there's a good chance that he's suffering from some significant, debilitating depression. He probably could really benefit from seeing a therapist regularly, and maybe getting some medical intervention, too; but can't afford it because, being an unemployed American, he has no health insurance.

Most counties offer low- or no-cost therapeutic counseling through their social services departments. In addition to helping him figure out how to get rid of his junk (a good idea, btw!), maybe look up info on getting counseling through the county, print it up and leave it in his mailbox anonymously. Maybe do it a few times, since he'll probably just throw the first one away.

Here's another angle no one has gotten to - he may have a debilitating bed-wetting problem. He's possibly spending all his money on new sheets & mattresses. Being a typical American, he bought a house he couldn't afford and so he can't afford things like insurance, therapy, or those nifty plastic mattress covers.

You should gather some of the 'stop bed wetting' brochures to put in his mailbox - I'm certain he'll appreciate them. We used to take stacks of them from our nearby Meijer and hand them out to anyone we thought may be in need of them but were too afraid to ask or look for.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Being a typical American, he bought a house he couldn't afford and so he can't afford things like insurance, therapy, or those nifty plastic mattress covers

We bought our house before the housing market crash and we had run the numbers and knew exactly what we could afford, what neighborhood we wanted to be in and had educated ourselves in all the costs involved. When we went to the bank they said "Oh, you're approved for $XXX" which was $60k over what we could afford (and maintain our lifestyle). We smiled and said "no, we want $Y like we asked and nothing more." They were surprised.

Well, surprised indeed, we can actually afford what we said we could and still have our house. Stupid people and a lack of personal responsibility. Well, I guess that is what this thread is really about. People need to take care of their own business and keep their own business from effecting others around them!

Being a typical American, he bought a house he couldn't afford and so he can't afford things like insurance, therapy, or those nifty plastic mattress covers

We bought our house before the housing market crash and we had run the numbers and knew exactly what we could afford, what neighborhood we wanted to be in and had educated ourselves in all the costs involved. When we went to the bank they said "Oh, you're approved for $XXX" which was $60k over what we could afford (and maintain our lifestyle). We smiled and said "no, we want $Y like we asked and nothing more." They were surprised.

Well, surprised indeed, we can actually afford what we said we could and still have our house. Stupid people and a lack of personal responsibility. Well, I guess that is what this thread is really about. People need to take care of their own business and keep their own business from effecting others around them!

Where do you draw the line of "Effecting those around them"?

Many draw it in a different place....[:/]

Well the guy referenced in this thread has made it clear after being asked about it in person that he is not going to maintain his property. He is now creating a negative effect on the surrounding properties and will be negatively effecting the home values in the area. Also, letting the property go into foreclosure can negatively effect home values in the area as well.

Beyond what is agreed upon in the HOA contract (if there is one) and beyond what is city ordinance for standards of living and with the home, there are certain standards to abide by for the neighborhood you live in. Those communal standards are established by the majority of home owners in the area on what is typically expected of their little community.

I have no problem with anyone who chooses to set their own standard, whatever that may be, but please go out in the county or purchase a property in which it will be tolerated with out negatively effecting my home value. This is the most expensive thing I have purchased and I work hard to maintain it.

When it comes to Real Estate values, the crappy house down the street affects my net worth directly. Sorry, but that's the real world. Maybe he could offer to mow the lawn and spread the mulch when he's trying to market his house.

In my neighborhood, one of my coworkers, of all people, had a junk VW bus with the engine out next to his house, ass in the air and the transaxles hanging down, while two homes next door were for sale. Finally an agent who was a friend of mine pleaded with me to get my coworker to store the van properly and in accordance with the covenants. She said every prospect that came to look at those houses saw that junker and was immediatley turned off. So I talked to the guy and he did the right thing and put it in the garage, but it was embarrassing for me.

Another time a neighbor, a dis-barred lawyer, if that tells you anything about his character, had an obscenity laced sign in his picture window directed at our homeowners assoc. I stopped by one day and told him my kids rode past his house every day and asked if he would please remove the sign. I was standing at the end of his driveway and his only response was a very cold "I want you off my property." I went home and called the cops. They said it wasn't really against the law, but that they would be glad to stop by and chat with the "gentleman." The sign disappeared.

This was the same neighbor that sprayed herbicide on another neighbor's shrubs. When that person went to his door to talk to him about it, his wife cracked the door open to tell him to go away. He then heard the same thing from the ex-lawyer, who was standing behind the door, as well as the sound of a shotgun being racked. I would have definitely called the cops on that one. :o

So I guess I start out with the friendly approach, but I don't mind ramping it up as necessary. However, I have too much "stuff" in life to be confrontational. One thrown punch can cost me thousands of dollars. I also have a CP license and often carry, so I concientiously try to avoid confrontations. I did that neighborhood officer thing when our association was brand new and the developer was trying to rip us off and shirk his obligations. I ended up getting pulled into a lot of petty complaints I didn't really care about.

My homeowner's association rules prohibit non-operational vehicles in the drive; even if it is your hobby. Cars are not allowed on the street overnight regardless of condition. I like it that way. Everyone has at least a two car garage, so there is no need to leave them out. Doesn't this guy at least have a backyard or a cover?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Well the guy referenced in this thread has made it clear after being asked about it in person that he is not going to maintain his property. He is now creating a negative effect on the surrounding properties and will be negatively effecting the home values in the area. Also, letting the property go into foreclosure can negatively effect home values in the area as well.

Beyond what is agreed upon in the HOA contract (if there is one) and beyond what is city ordinance for standards of living and with the home, there are certain standards to abide by for the neighborhood you live in. Those communal standards are established by the majority of home owners in the area on what is typically expected of their little community.

I have no problem with anyone who chooses to set their own standard, whatever that may be, but please go out in the county or purchase a property in which it will be tolerated with out negatively effecting my home value. This is the most expensive thing I have purchased and I work hard to maintain it.

"Asked in passing".....Not "Confronted"!;)

Mnay folks don;t catch a Hint....

As to why his motorvehicle insurance didn't cover his truck is a question? Unless, like prior discussions here, he was one of the irresponsible uninsured motorists. In regards to the grass, etc, he may be overwhelmed with caring for the place. Empathize with him in regards to how difficult it can be to maintain a yard, and ask him if he would like a little help one weekend and offer your services.

Here's an angle nobody's quite mentioned yet. With his finances crumbling around him, his entire life is crumbling, too; or so it probably seems to him. From all the signs you mention, there's a good chance that he's suffering from some significant, debilitating depression. He probably could really benefit from seeing a therapist regularly, and maybe getting some medical intervention, too; but can't afford it because, being an unemployed American, he has no health insurance.

Most counties offer low- or no-cost therapeutic counseling through their social services departments. In addition to helping him figure out how to get rid of his junk (a good idea, btw!), maybe look up info on getting counseling through the county, print it up and leave it in his mailbox anonymously. Maybe do it a few times, since he'll probably just throw the first one away.

Here's another angle no one has gotten to - he may have a debilitating bed-wetting problem. He's possibly spending all his money on new sheets & mattresses. Being a typical American, he bought a house he couldn't afford and so he can't afford things like insurance, therapy, or those nifty plastic mattress covers.

You should gather some of the 'stop bed wetting' brochures to put in his mailbox - I'm certain he'll appreciate them. We used to take stacks of them from our nearby Meijer and hand them out to anyone we thought may be in need of them but were too afraid to ask or look for.

Gosh, you're such a badass! Actually - no, you're not. You have an idiotically childish attitude.
Think yer tuff? Bet yer not.