Nataly

Oldest profession in the world...

Hi Nataly,

Re: Oldest profession in the world...

Many years ago I was at a business meeting in Miami. The three of us went out to dinner at a 'very' expensive hotel; and there were some 'working girls' working the facilities.

I mentioned that it was 'the oldest profession in the world' and the salesman sitting next to me said that no it wasn't. He said that 'sales' is the oldest profession because she had to sell it before she could deliver it. ;)

JerryBaumchen

There were prostitutes before there were bakers?

Hmm

:)

If we go on the basis that man discovered sex before discovering how to make fire (which seems a logical assumption)... Well, I'm guessing that yes, prostitution (sex for profit) existed before bakers (cooking stuff requires a fire/oven/microwave!!!). :D:D:P
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Hi Nataly,

Re: Oldest profession in the world...

Many years ago I was at a business meeting in Miami. The three of us went out to dinner at a 'very' expensive hotel; and there were some 'working girls' working the facilities.

I mentioned that it was 'the oldest profession in the world' and the salesman sitting next to me said that no it wasn't. He said that 'sales' is the oldest profession because she had to sell it before she could deliver it. ;)

JerryBaumchen

So you're saying there were bakes first, delivery drivers second, and prostitutes third?
:D:ph34r::P

I thought apple eater was the first profession.

Eve said, "If you EVER want to have any of THIS again - It will get eaten!

Man is and was so stupid . . . he thinks she meant the apple![:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hmm

Probably since even monkeys have prostitutes:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1700821,00.html

Though primates have been observed trading grooming for food sharing or infant care, this is the first time this kind of exchange has been observed between male and female primates in a sexual context, says lead researcher Michael Gumert of Singapore's Nanyang Technological University, demonstrating that the amount of time a male macaque "will invest in [its] partner" depends largely on how many options it has around.

Which is also very true of humans.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Hmm

Probably since even monkeys have prostitutes:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1700821,00.html

Though primates have been observed trading grooming for food sharing or infant care, this is the first time this kind of exchange has been observed between male and female primates in a sexual context, says lead researcher Michael Gumert of Singapore's Nanyang Technological University, demonstrating that the amount of time a male macaque "will invest in [its] partner" depends largely on how many options it has around.

Which is also very true of humans.

:D!
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

Different kinds of circumstances exist in such a business; some of which is, and should be, illegal, and some of which I think is "OK".
There is much that can be said about the dark side of prostitution, and how this justifies the laws against it, but I will leave that to others with more knowledge and experience on the matter.

I believe it can be "OK" when it truly involves consenting adults in an honest transaction.
For a male seeking a short term score, his alternative is to seduce an unsuspecting partner for as long he needs her, ending the "relationship" at his convenience, and disregarding the emotional outcome as she learns that she was merely a physical outlet. To me that can be more unscrupulous than employing a professional, and the monetary costs are often about the same.

...and therein lies the difference in using a professional. He's not necessarily paying for the sex, he's paying her to leave afterwards.

So. Prostitution. Is it ever ok?

Discuss. (There is a programme on TV!!)

i have a problem with prostitution in countries were it is blanket banned and unregulated as this leads to forced prostitution and criminals in control

i dont have a problem with it in a controlled and regulated enviroment like amsterdam, nevada, australia. i dont understand the whole paying for attention thing it really isnt that hard to get laid but then again iv never even been to a strip club so what do i know

Well, lets go back in time to the earliest humans... say, just before we developed speech. Take into account the things we know about them... they were social creatures. They didn't have money but they did have artifacts. Since not every single protohuman would have had the same skills, they had various roles. Some hunted and fought. Some made weapons... stone knives and such. Older ones who could not hunt assisted the females, helped raise and teach the kids artifact-making skills, did food prep. So we know there was exchange. I offer you this, I get that.

Not hard to realize a young awkward protohuman, without much else to offer and not as attractive as, say, the number-two muscular alphadog hunter in the tribe, figures out that being badass isn't the only way to get laid. He takes a liking to a particular girl who isn't all that interested in him.

The need to get laid causes creative thinking and a bit of empathy and he figures out maybe the girl likes him if he brings her something she might want. Comes back with some flowers and maybe some natural mineral coloring agents dug up from riverbank deposits he figures the girl can use to decorate the walls of the tent/cave/whatever. Otherwise useless objects except they please the female.
Female is pleased. Cuddling follows. Guy goes away happy, girl's got more stuff.

Can't really see anything wrong with this. Basic human behavior. Although I understand in the modern world there has evolved a certain cultural element surrounding the behavior that sometimes involves desperation, degradation, compulsion, none of which is tolerable, if its just a couple of consenting adults trading for mutual benefit and mutual gain, where's the problem?
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

you can go back further then the earliest humans

they did an experiment were they taught monkeys the value of money in a labratory setting

long story short one of the monkeys 'robbed the bank' and when the researchers went in to get the money they witnessed one monkey give another monkey some of the money

amazed that they had just witnessed the first act of animal altruism they went about recording this only to look up a minute later and see the two monkeys fucking

So. Prostitution. Is it ever ok?

Discuss. (There is a programme on TV!!)

I have known or know 3 hookers. What I don't like is the general attitude that the women are being "taken advantage of" as a generalisation (I know that in some cases it is true)

1) Mother-in-law used to be a hooker. Her logic was she liked sex and money so combine her interests. The problem is that her children got seriously neglected/abused in the process.

2) Similar story with a women who I went to university with. She liked sex and the money and hated the normal 9-5 so she switched trades.

3) A friends mom was a hooker when I was about 17. Her mom seemed to enjoy it and they had a nice house.

I am not sure why people have a problem with it, I don't. My cousin got into serious trouble when she was about 11 or 12. She had to say in class what she wanted to do when she grew up and she mean't to say "prosecutor" but said prostitute:o.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.