deltron80

getting to altitude

someone should go invent some kind of small balloon just large enough to lift a human body to 10,000 feet and put a tether on it so you can bring it back down. then we could all skydive for free! airplanes are too dangerous anyway.

no need to pay me for the idea either! :)

someone should go invent some kind of small balloon just large enough to lift a human body to 10,000 feet and put a tether on it so you can bring it back down. then we could all skydive for free! airplanes are too dangerous anyway.

Who will pay for the balloon and helium?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

if there is some way to make a balloon that doesn't leak too much you could reuse the gas multiple times.. otherwise it will be expensive to refill.

everyone can buy their own balloon, fill it with helium or hydrogen and after the initial investment it's free rides to altitude!

it might be harder to launch group jumps with everyone starting over 20 feet apart, but hey

Yeah, and if you had a problem on the way down, you could just track over to the teather line and hook on! The balloon would then slow your decent to avoid injury. It may be hard putting together a good RW jump? Those fricking balloons keep tangleing when we real them in. Oh well, who cares, FREE FLYING is alive and well! Spotting could be a problem? Wind would always carry you the wrong way of your optimum exit point. On calm days, it wouldn't be an issue.
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

all you need is one 20 ft wide balloon filled with hydrogen per person!

come on people!

Have you really done the math on that? Not the size of the balloon carrying a person aloft, but including the cable to bring the balloon back down as well as FAA regulations on tethered balloons.

Something tells me you've missed a few things.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Have you really done the math on that? Not the size of the balloon carrying a person aloft, but including the cable to bring the balloon back down as well as FAA regulations on tethered balloons.

Something tells me you've missed a few things

hmm.. well a 20ft balloon would lift ~200lbs, but I forgot about the weight of the cables....

anyone know what the FAA rules on tethered balloons are? any max altitude? B|

all you need is one 20 ft wide balloon filled with hydrogen per person!

come on people!

Something tells me you've missed a few things.

Piano Wire tethers with Pixie Dust for extra strength and fuck the FAA...you're such a kill joy quade! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Something tells me you've missed a few things

hmm.. well a 20ft balloon would lift ~200lbs, but I forgot about the weight of the cables....

anyone know what the FAA rules on tethered balloons are? any max altitude? B|

Ya seen those ballons at car dealers? That is about it!

contact aerophile. they specialize in these. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/downtown-disney/attractions/characters-in-flight/ I've personally been in that one. Only goes to 400ft. I was thinking it would be a great base exit! Someone already jumped a similar one http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/man-parachutes-from-irvines-great-park-balloon-to-getaway-car.html

stupid FAA... 500 ft max :(

these guys act like they own the sky or something wtf

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?idno=14;c=ecfr;cc=ecfr;rgn=div5;view=text;node=14%3A2.0.1.3.15

How about a bunch of big slingshots instead? :)

Ya could turn points on the way up...and do a big way on the way back down! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No Patent 4U

Cloud Hopper

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Harness all of the "hot air" in Speakers Corner. That will get a balloon up fast!:P;)B|

Brilliant!
And unlike helium, it is a renewable resource.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

we need full altitude people! cheapest way has to be a tethered balloon... just gotta figure it out

Elevator - supported by a baloon would be better.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun