airdvr

I hate my job

This sux. Nothing worse tha being trapped in a job you hate. Anyone relate?

It can be second-worse to unemployment and its consequences. Having said that, though: Yes. It can suck pretty bad.

I can remember the day when companies trusted their employees. At least where I work those days are gone. My calls are recorded and critiqued. My manager now wants to review my work on a daily basis. It's fucking micro-management and I can't stand it.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

It can be second-worse to unemployment and its consequences. Having said that, though: Yes. It can suck pretty bad.

I can remember the day when companies trusted their employees. At least where I work those days are gone. My calls are recorded and critiqued. My manager now wants to review my work on a daily basis. It's fucking micro-management and I can't stand it.

Rather than giving you "the usual" kind of advice, let me advise this: No matter what, don't lose your temper. If your manager finds an excuse to sack you for "unsatisfactory performance", then that's an involuntary, not-for-"cause" termination, and you can probably collect unemployment comp. But if you take the bait, blow your cool and give him an excuse to sack you for "insubordination", or "willful disobedience", or some shit like that, that will be a "for-cause" termination, which in most states will disqualify you from getting unemployment comp.

Keep your cool, Scott. It's hard, but it's to your considerable benefit.

Rather than giving you "the usual" kind of advice, let me advise this: No matter what, don't lose your temper. If your manager finds an excuse to sack you for "unsatisfactory performance", then that's an involuntary, not-for-"cause" termination, and you can probably collect unemployment comp. But if you take the bait, blow your cool and give him an excuse to sack you for "insubordination", or "willful disobedience", or some shit like that, that will be a "for-cause" termination, which in most states will disqualify you from getting unemployment comp.

Thanks. By the time i get home I'm ready for sedation. I tell my son this story about how I'm now 51, no formal education, should probably be thankful for having a job. I don't want him to suffer the same fate. Not a fun convo to have with your son [:/] My boss has crawled so far up my ass. Killer part is I'm having back to back awsome months so that really confuses me.

Destinations by Roxanne

I completely understand!!! I keep hoping and praying that I will find something different. No luck yet.

The most recent bad events.....Old Drunk Bastard tried to get naked at my desk. The office had an office luncheon and didn't invite me. Yep.....I just love this office.

Killer part is I'm having back to back awsome months so that really confuses me.

Then that tells me it's probably a personality conflict; and that means he's unlikely to back off. There's a saying, "Hope for the best, but plan for the worst." I'm not trying to be discouraging, just urging you to deal with this with your head and not your heart, or your pride.

I completely understand!!! I keep hoping and praying that I will find something different. No luck yet.

The most recent bad events.....Old Drunk Bastard tried to get naked at my desk. The office had an office luncheon and didn't invite me. Yep.....I just love this office.

Your post is unclear as to whether that happened in your presence. If it did, that would make you the victim of unlawful sexual harrassment.

I *totally* agree. Even if you have to leave, you will be happier leaving with your dignity (and references) than otherwise...

Maybe try writing down what the problem is and "brainstorming" for solutions. Somehow I find putting pen to paper helps me to make the problem concrete. And once that is done, I usually find a few new ways to either resolve or at least better cope with a situation.

Try it - maybe it won't work, but it can't hurt.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

well I've had plenty of jobs I hated...luckily I have a job I love now. Best thing to do is prioritize and determine if its the best thing for you...then keep your cool and do a job search in your spare time and take PTO for job interviews to find a gig you like.

The most recent bad events.....Old Drunk Bastard tried to get naked at my desk.

Which, wouldn't have been so bad, except it was at the starbucks counter, while there was a line of customers.:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yes, I can relate. Hating your job really sucks the fun out of life. Me? I'm about half-way through the first semester of my MBA program and attempting 20 hours of part-time work with the company that I was working for full-time. I'm about to (haven't fully decided) retire my 3 year long career with this company so that I can focus on school and get the most out of the program. By attempting both part-time work and full-time school, I don't feel like I'm reaping the full benefit of the program... nor do I feel like I'm learning anything more than 'what will be covered on the exam'.

A good friend of mine (James) and I often discuss the cruelties of full-time employment. James is borderline brilliant and also, borderline OCD (neither characteristic bother me). The guy is an absolute IT genius but can NOT stomach doing the same thing, day after day, for very long. He's in his late 20s and currently unemployed... and has been for just over a year. The guy will land an awesome IT job and work it for +/- one year. During this time, he maintains a cost of living of approximately $25-$28k and saves the excess ($$$$$$). On his 366th day of employment at his last job, James handed in a witty and creative two weeks notice to his boss... that he probably started writing somewhere during months 6 - 8 on the job. While he's unemployeed he 'has fun' making websites, server work and all kinds of other "IT" things I don't know how to explain ... he travels internationally, goes skiing, hikes and pretty much burns through the majority of his savings.

He's currently looking for a part-time job driving a bus or serving coffee or leading tours at a museum or teaching white-water rafting lessons or ... and the list goes on and on.

James never regrets quitting a job. He does, however, regret the time he wastes in a job he can't stand. Learn how to live on practically nothing and suddenly, what you do for a living and how much you get paid begin to seem trivial. That's his motto, at least.

Your post is unclear as to whether that happened in your presence. If it did, that would make you the victim of unlawful sexual harrassment.

Oh it was completely in my presence. He unbuckled his belt and undid the button on his pants. Another guy came walking down the stairs and ask him what the hell he was doing.

you sort of have to define "trapped." wife, kids, one income...I get it. when I felt that way, I stuck it out for awhile, saved money, and then finally quit. it was a good job, great money and benefits, but I couldn't stand even driving into work. then again, I had no wife or (especially) kids.

Just read a little more about you situation and see you have kid(s). Best of luck.

John

I am loving mine.... but the contract was almost up... so I did a few interviews... and am supposed to start a new gig on 25 OCT... paying $31K more a year

I LOVE this shit:)

Shit... ya'll got any people down in the tampa area looking to hire a satcom/network guy?

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

are you describing your situation ?
to OP sounds like the job you're doing is great ( 2 great months in a row ) hard to do a great job at a job you hate . but the boss can make ALL the difference . a boss that's the opposite or reverse of boss is like spelling it backwards !

Bullshit.

Try not being able to get any job or woefully under employed.

at least he actually HAS a job to complain about..

i may have to pick up that IKEA job, bringing goods from the cashier to the customers car; for an awful lousy pay of 21$ an hour; which is REALLY low here.. :S
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Bullshit.

Been there too and you're correct. That would be way worse than my current situation. So, can we get back to my whining about my job now?

100% commission, work every weekend, phone calls recorded, dealing with the general public, everyone knows the housing market sucks and I've managed to get 7 people to commit to build a new home over the last 6 weeks (2 in a month is my goal) and now I need to have daily meentgs with the boss. No good deed goes unpunished.

Destinations by Roxanne

Bullshit.

Awww it's just an expression! In fact, it should probably never be used, because obviously there is inevitably something worse than "x", but it doesn't mean the OP has no right to feel unhappy about his problem. Hating one's job can be pretty awful. You spend anywhere from 50% to 70% of your entire week at work (including weekends, but excluding sleep), so it's a big part of your life... I felt "stuck" with a company for 3 miserable years. I did have options, but due to a whole host of reasons, I'm not convinced leaving would have been better than staying.

I think if there's one thing smokers have right is that they take breaks to step away from a situation they find stressful. They take 5-15 minutes, have a smoke, calm down, and come back. If the OP is not a smoker (and therefore couldn't justify a "smoke break"!), perhaps the occasional coffee break is a good alternative? Probably not very healthy either, but stress/unhappiness is surely worse than caffein...
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

i last worked for someone else back in 2004. now i am self employed. i have made tons of money some years since, and no money other years...but i will never ever work for someone to insults or degrades me or my family again. you only live once, and working for some mother fucker is no way to go through life.