CarrieByTheSea

How To Train Your Dragon--Film

I have a hard working nephew that looks and acts just like the lead character. Has the strong moral backbone for what he considers right and wrong as well.

Makes me hopeful that the younger generations aren't all spoiled brats afraid of work.

Oh, and I luv'd the film too.:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Interesting story about the story.

Dreamworks had optioned the books and had begun working on the project for quite awhile as far as designing the characters and backgrounds, but all without a script that actually worked. They had gone so far as to make teaser trailers which showed off the title and a small bit of the artwork, but still didn't have a script that worked. They sold the movie at the National Association of Theater Owner's convention to exhibiters . . . and STILL didn't have a script that worked.

With about a year to go, they hired two guys that had previously worked for Disney; noteably on Lilo and Stitch. One of the writing partners has also provided the "voice" for "Stitch." They were told they could pretty much do anything they wanted to with the story, but for the most part, they had to use the majority of the artwork resources that had already been designed.

The guys whipped the story into shape using a pretty classic storytelling formulas. They departed from the book pretty significantly as far as the ending and some themes go to fit these classic storytelling ideals, but it worked.

Beyond that, they did manage to put their stamp on it pretty well. I think you'll notice a pretty strrong resemblance between "Stitch" and the main character dragon here named, "Toothless."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

noteably on Lilo and Stitch. One of the writing partners has also provided the "voice" for "Stitch."

DFWAJG and I ate dinner with Chris and his female guest a couple of months ago at the Pageant of the Masters. We had no idea who he was and perhaps he enjoyed that about us - that we weren't pushing a script on him or anything. A pretty nice guy who gave some nice anecdotes about directing an animated feature.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That_is_interesting. I almost commented initially about a few things I would have tweaked about the storyline, but I am surprised to learn the writers "whipped the storyline up" so quickly.

Given they had to use the majority of the artwork previously designed, was the resemblance to Stitch intentional or serendipitous? I LOVED the design of Toothless, btw. :)

"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I LOVED the design of Toothless, btw. :)

My sister wants a Toothless toy (like a stuffed animal), but so far, we haven't seen that particular line of merchandizing. BTW, my sister is 31. :P:$
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

My sister wants a Toothless toy (like a stuffed animal), but so far, we haven't seen that particular line of merchandizing. BTW, my sister is 31. :P:$

Not stuffed . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Walmart actually had stuffed Toothless toys....but that was when the movie first came out.

Toothless does TOTALLY remind me of Stitch....maybe that's why I fell in love with him!

Walmart actually had stuffed Toothless toys....but that was when the movie first came out.

Toothless does TOTALLY remind me of Stitch....maybe that's why I fell in love with him!

You are in love with Stitch?:o

Well - I guess there is someone for everyone.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

That_is_interesting. I almost commented initially about a few things I would have tweaked about the storyline, but I am surprised to learn the writers "whipped the storyline up" so quickly.

From a "story" point of view, the film is nearly flawless as far as how the classic form has developed in Hollywood and is being taught in countless books and classes.

A person might quibble with a line of dialogue or exactly how a secondary character works, but the "story" is rock solid and can easily be used and a new example of the classic form. This is the same theory of story seen in The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, The Lion King and Gladiator; talked about extensively by Joseph Campbell as well as more modern authors such as Blake Snyder.

Given they had to use the majority of the artwork previously designed, was the resemblance to Stitch intentional or serendipitous? I LOVED the design of Toothless, btw. :)

Oh, I think they clearly made an exception there with some tweaking of the face to make him resemble Stitch. It's just way too close for it to be a coincidence.
quade -

Oh, I think they clearly made an exception there with some tweaking of the face to make him resemble Stitch. It's just way too close for it to be a coincidence.

Could they have used te same graphic framework to save money?

You are in love with Stitch?:o

Well - I guess there is someone for everyone.:)

Hahahha.....I guess I should clarify that. Stitch from the movie.....not Stitch Stitch. :P

Pretty sure someone would be a little mad if I was dating Stitch on the side.

From a "story" point of view, the film is nearly flawless as far as how the classic form has developed in Hollywood and is being taught in countless books and classes.

A person might quibble with a line of dialogue or exactly how a secondary character works, but the "story" is rock solid and can easily be used and a new example of the classic form. This is the same theory of story seen in The Wizard of Oz, Star Wars, The Lion King and Gladiator; talked about extensively by Joseph Campbell as well as more modern authors such as Blake Snyder.

Clearly, then, there is no room for discussion.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Clearly, then, there is no room for discussion.

Not my point at all. Only that it's what most story analyists would be consider close to perfect. That said, many films follow the techniques perfectly yet still don't work. For instance Eragon is almost beat for beat exactly the same as Star Wars yet failed miserably.

What did you think was wrong with How to Train Your Dragon?
quade -

I have never seen the forementioned Lilo & Stitch, but I loved the design of Toothless whatever the inspiration. :)

Oh you should, very cute!

I saw this one last night. Absolutely loved it. I borrowed it from my little brother, but I might actually buy a copy for myself. :)