LisaM

Skydiver charged with Murder

It almost happened one time here in the states. Charlie Mullins had been jumping quite a bit, and when it was time to get his reserve repacked, he opened it to find that his reserve risers had been cut/sabotaged. I don't think they ever found out who did it. Needless to say, he had a malfunction soon after. :o

Of course, this was quite a number of years ago and is 2nd hand info.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

So a married woman who was having an affair with a guy who was also dating her friend was killed by her friend by sabotaging her gear? :(

And she went on the final skydive with them? :(

I see this being turned into a movie. [:/]
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

From everything that I have been told a parachute wants to open both the main and the reserve. So if most people know this fact and would clue in the police when they go to asking question about it. To me seems to be some one wanting to get caught by the police. So if I am wrong about the pharachute wanting to open please correct me but it seems to be a very sloppy way to kill someone.
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor

How is it sloppy? Lots of people leave rigs laying around where anyone can have access to them. The police may straight away think murder, but proving who done it can be the problem.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Please keep in mind all you are reading is the third party interpertation from the media of the limited info they have. No charges have been filed yet so you may not want to hang her out to dry before the police actually convict her.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It is sloppy do to the fact that people tend to want to help fine out why someone the know gets hurt or killed. So if you are going to tamper with the parachute it is not going to take the police long to figure things out. Keeping in mind this is from the view point of corrections officer and we tend to think of each other as family and when someone hurts the family you do what have to fix the problem. Keeping in mind I have heard of officers not helping police taking out revenge on thier own. I was thinking that skydivers think of each other as family as well. Just my opion.
Remember that expectant life span is an average, and most people are below average
--Garrison Keillor

I wish skydivers would think of each other as family too. But its not the case, skydiving is another group of people who can bitch and moan and backstab like the rest of society. We are not golden.

Not hangin her out to dry as phreezone said but as far as murders go.... well police know jack about skydiving in most cases. I leave my wallet and all sorts of shit all over my DZ and dont worry, its a small DZ.

But my point is it is a logistical nightmare for police to tell who tampered with gear when it is left around and accessable by many.

Whatever our opinions, another skydiver has went in and its a damn shame either way.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Another mentally ill woman. Hmmm...........seems to be lots of those these days. :S

Just as many males fall into that group too, mostly American:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Remember Steven Hilder (SP?)

Thats still left as an open verdict i believe [:/]

I seem to remember the final ruling was it was a suicide. From some evidence that was only found at a later time it appeared that Mr. Hilder sabotaged his own rig.
Of course no one has any idea why he would have done such a thing, as is often the case with suicides no one sees the warning signs (if there are any!) until it's too late.
This just goes to show that it's not always as clear cut as it seems at first glance.
Cheers,

Vale

It almost happened one time here in the states. Charlie Mullins had been jumping quite a bit, and when it was time to get his reserve repacked, he opened it to find that his reserve risers had been cut/sabotaged. I don't think they ever found out who did it. Needless to say, he had a malfunction soon after. :o

Of course, this was quite a number of years ago and is 2nd hand info.

Didn't someone mess with Kirk Verners rig, but someone else borrowed it...or something like that...a few years back?

What ever happened on that one?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Remember Steven Hilder (SP?)

Thats still left as an open verdict i believe [:/]

I seem to remember the final ruling was it was a suicide. From some evidence that was only found at a later time it appeared that Mr. Hilder sabotaged his own rig.

In the Stephen Hilder case the police investigation concluded that it was suicide, but the coroner gave an open verdict. In my opinion the coroner is far more objective and has no reason to neatly close the case... And almost anyone who was close to Stephen Hilder (and was prepared to talk to the media) said they didn't believe it was suicide.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

I heard that the skydiver that had been linked in connection sabotaging the chute of the deceased skydiver had actually tried but failed to commit suicide upon the police marking her as a main suspect in the case. That along with the link to the guy the deceased skydiver was having an affair with provide inconclusive evidence that all is not quite right. I think its a case of clear cut murder that doesnt do our sport any good!
Santa Claus cum down my chimney and emptied his sack on my tree!

What is the actual incident report ? What were the nature of the malfunctions ? This was in Europe, but we haven't heard of anything like cut risers since the Hilder case.

It's this one.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke