Tink1717

Bird people, what is it?

Caught this one off my balcony the other day. I thought it was a Coopers Hawk, but the head is all wrong. Not a Red Tail or Red shoulder. Any guesses?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Caught this one off my balcony the other day. I thought it was a Coopers Hawk, but the head is all wrong. Not a Red Tail or Red shoulder. Any guesses?

Looks kinda like an Osprey.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Wrong color scheme for an Osprey and we're too far inland for an Osprey to be the likely candidate. I had the same thought though.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.

Can't see the tops of his wings ("shoulders") - but body-type, size, head-kneck size, etc. all match-up to a (fairly common here in MD) Red-Shouldered Hawk.

EDIT TO ADD: I know this shot is of one perched - but take a good close look at it. I think they match up. What makes you think it is not a Red-Tailed Hawk, Tink? That was almost immediately, my very first thought (and therefore reply) - and now only further re-affirmed I think, by the pic I just also found in the above link.

FWIW - I think most likely, red-shouldered hawk.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Can't see the tops of his wings ("shoulders") - but body-type, size, head-kneck size, etc. all match-up to a (fairly common here in MD) Red-Shouldered Hawk.

EDIT TO ADD: I know this shot is of one perched - but take a good close look at it. I think they match up. What makes you think it is not a Red-Tailed Hawk, Tink? That was almost immediately, my very first thought (and therefore reply) - and now only further re-affirmed I think, by the pic I just also found in the above link.

For some reason I am not able to get my printer to scan the page from my bird guide book to the computer, but I can confirm that it is in fact a red shouldered hawk. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

For some reason I am not able to get my printer to scan the page from my bird guide book to the computer, but I can confirm that it is in fact a red shouldered hawk. :)

Looks like you got it!

By-the-way, that's a great shot of one for sure, too! ...Tink - you should submit that somewhere, for the record - so the next time someone else is searching similar - maybe they'll use YOUR picture as the confirmation/example. GREAT SHOT! :)

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Because when you compare it to a known Red Tail in flight, the banding on the wings and tail doesn't match.

Looks like it. But those images are a ways away from the ones I found for Red Shoulder Hawk. The head and breast were different. Ibird Pro was my reference. Gotta get a better one.

Because when you compare it to a known Red Tail in flight, the banding on the wings and tail doesn't match.

I'd venture it's a young redtail.
Banding, tail colors don't come in until the bird matures. The terminal may never band black where others are solid black, and everything in between.
It definitely isn't an osprey nor kestrel (commonly called the Sparrow hawk).