Nutz

Puppy Tale

I got a puppy three weeks ago. A chocolate lab, 6 weeks old, 7.5 lbs. He is nine weeks now and about 25 lbs, a monster. I told the guy I got him from that there is a tasmanian devil loose in his neighborhood and it has mated with his dog.
He is a pretty smart fella too, this morning he let me know that he needed to go and I let him out. A few minutes later he scratched to get back in and when I went to the door he had crapped on the welcome mat. :P I said, "Thanks boy! Just couldn't make it any further huh. At least you are outside." He was sitting there wagging his tail wanting in so I opened the door and he stepped in it and came running in. :D:D:D

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I got a puppy three weeks ago. A chocolate lab, 6 weeks old, 7.5 lbs. He is nine weeks now and about 25 lbs, a monster. I told the guy I got him from that there is a tasmanian devil loose in his neighborhood and it has mated with his dog.
He is a pretty smart fella too, this morning he let me know that he needed to go and I let him out. A few minutes later he scratched to get back in and when I went to the door he had crapped on the welcome mat. :P I said, "Thanks boy! Just couldn't make it any further huh. At least you are outside." He was sitting there wagging his tail wanting in so I opened the door and he stepped in it and came running in. :D:D:D

It will get worse unless you start training him.
Start with a Sit!
Then move to Sit-Stay!
Passing through doors: he should be in a sit stay and only go thru the door on your command or by following you out the door.
This is very important to prevent him charging the yard gate.
Do not answer a scratch at the door. Instead, either ignore it or walk outside and close the door behind you.

It is fairly easy to teach puppies Sit and Stay.

A good book is The Art of Raising a Puppy

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Our female Great Pyrenees ran away as a puppy, she was gone for over a MONTH! :o

The kids put up posters, we ran ads in the paper...nothing.

Finally a lady from across town showed up at the door with SugarBear. . .one morning she'd woken up and a big white puppy was sleeping in her bedroom!

She didn't see any ads or anything so she adopted the 'runaway' until finally taking it to the vet where Sugar was recognized.

In the month...she had trained this puppy like no other I'd ever seen! She obviously knows what she's doing.

Sit, Stay, Heal, Roll over, shake, speak, bark once when it's time to go outside...the dog is so well train I walk her without a leash and never have a problem-unheard of with Pyrenees dogs.

Turns out she trains dogs to be 'hospital healers' and was taking SugarBear to area hospitals and retirement homes...B|

To make a long story short, we decided to 'Share' SugarBear who gets to take weekly rides and play with very appreciative kids and elderly folks.

I'll NEVER have another puppy that smart or well trained! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Awesome, have fun with your puppy!!!! Our chocolate lab is 2 years old now, and we just love her to death, they sure are great dogs. :)
I agree with what Jan said about the training, ours is pretty well trained, she'll go to her bed on command which is especially helpful when we're eating dinner, and she'll stay there until we release her. That's the most useful thing we've taught her, by far. She sure has trouble with rolling over, though she'll crawl, go figure!!! :D

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

LOL! One of our dogs is a crawler, too. She looks like she's advancing in the Army! :D:D I love watching her. She sort of cocks her head to one side and looks at you out of the corner of her eye as she gets closer and closer. It's like she's flirting with you when she does it.

The other dog is just a puppy and she's still working on potty training. She's doing great with keeping all her piddling outside but if she'd do the rest there, too, I'd be delighted. I have no idea why she thinks pooping is exclusively an indoor activity, but we're working on it! I would've been delighted if she had made it to the doormat, too!

TPM Sister #102

Our female Great Pyrenees ran away as a puppy, she was gone for over a MONTH! :o

The kids put up posters, we ran ads in the paper...nothing.

Finally a lady from across town showed up at the door with SugarBear. . .one morning she'd woken up and a big white puppy was sleeping in her bedroom!

She didn't see any ads or anything so she adopted the 'runaway' until finally taking it to the vet where Sugar was recognized.

In the month...she had trained this puppy like no other I'd ever seen! She obviously knows what she's doing.

Sit, Stay, Heal, Roll over, shake, speak, bark once when it's time to go outside...the dog is so well train I walk her without a leash and never have a problem-unheard of with Pyrenees dogs.

Turns out she trains dogs to be 'hospital healers' and was taking SugarBear to area hospitals and retirement homes...B|

To make a long story short, we decided to 'Share' SugarBear who gets to take weekly rides and play with very appreciative kids and elderly folks.

I'll NEVER have another puppy that smart or well trained! :)

Well that well trained anyway. Most of them are that smart. They just don't get the training.B|