kmills0705

Doing tandems!

69 tandems? Could you blame them for not going out on their own?

Hm very interesting concept, you should definitely practice though with someone experienced at stupid human tricks *points at himself*

You want him to do 69 tandems with you? :|

You're mind is decisively not dirty enough and I was referring back to kmills :D

Then ya shouldnt have replied to ManagingPrime.

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

69 tandems? Could you blame them for not going out on their own?

Hm very interesting concept, you should definitely practice though with someone experienced at stupid human tricks *points at himself*

You want him to do 69 tandems with you? :|

You're mind is decisively not dirty enough and I was referring back to kmills :D

I guess I could have if I would have been sober. We can fight it out at chicks rock! ;)

Then ya shouldnt have replied to ManagingPrime.

;)

Here is a photo from my second actual tandem student. It helped that this girl was tiny - she weighed 88 pounds. I am just under 140... jumping a SET 400. The canopy did not want to inflate on opening.

Great student and fun jump :)

Good on ya, It is great to see more and more female TI's.

How tall are you? I know a female strong TI, she is about your weight but quite short, she lost her toggles one time and couldn't retrieve them as the forward speed of the canopy made them fly back too far and high for her to retrieve them.

My wife is shorter than her but uses sigma, she can sometimes collapse the slider as the MLW is adjustable on sigma.

If you are not short it should not be a problem but if you are it is something to ponder.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Wow! looks like your car broke down at the dropzone. convenient...

Nope. At home. Kinda hard to find someone to fix car at 4 a.m. when getting ready to leave. By the time I got it started around 9 a.m. it was too late to make the 3 hour trek to Ohio so went to my home dz and worked there.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

As 1 of the 1st female TMs from way way back in the day, First I want to say congrats on your rating. Doing Tandems is awesome. Have fun with it.
However I do want to point out 3 potential problem areas:

1: Unstowed excess lateral strap should be secured. As should all excess leg straps, chest straps etc'

#2. Tandem reserves are packed to withstand Tandem terminal at max loadings, and therefore are not packed to open super fast like individual reserves. You will probably never find yourself in a situation to be opening really low, but it could take a while with extremely light wing loadings.

#3. Really gotta watch the wind with such light wing loadings.

Helpful hints: I weighed 130-135 when I started doing Tandems. After a bit of experience, I started taking the 200+ lb guys. All the male TMs loved me, because I left the little girls for them.

Thanks. This is all really good information and I appreciate any hints, tips, tricks as I will continue to learn.

In reference to the lateral straps. The stow band on that rig is super stretched out and didn't secure the lateral strap. It is being replaced this week after pointing it out.

That is good information on terminal openings on a tandem reserve.

I am also super conservative with winds. Not only because I am new and see no reason to push my limits, but because I know we are underloaded.

She was my only super lightly loaded student. I had a couple that were close to two hundred pounds this weekend - they fall a lot more stable! And can help much better with the flare on landing. I also had someone really tall. I won't do that again... just not easy to hook up in a 182.

Again, thanks for the advice. I am in super learning mode and trying to learn all I can after being released into the wild!
Kim Mills
USPA D21696

she weighed 88 pounds. I am just under 140... jumping a SET 400. The canopy did not want to inflate on opening.

Just curious. How long was that canopy flight?

It was really rather long, but it was a gorgeous day and we enjoyed the views and the ride.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696

Good on ya, It is great to see more and more female TI's.

How tall are you? I know a female strong TI, she is about your weight but quite short, she lost her toggles one time and couldn't retrieve them as the forward speed of the canopy made them fly back too far and high for her to retrieve them.

My wife is shorter than her but uses sigma, she can sometimes collapse the slider as the MLW is adjustable on sigma.

If you are not short it should not be a problem but if you are it is something to ponder.

I am only 5'5" tall... so relatively short. This is something that is on my mind on every jump. I am very careful to keep toggles in my hands or in students at all times. I realize they can let go as I am adjusting the lower laterals and reconnecting the primary drogue release handle under canopy.

But another good thing to keep in mind.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696

Funny...what were the first things I said to you???

Bear in mind when doing tandems that EVERYONE is watching.
Always.

I know you accept and respect your newly attained responsibility the way you should. It truly is big!

Again, congratulations Kim!

Kim! Congrats on getting your TI. I did my course the week before the Work Stinks boogie, and did my first four tandems at the boogie. After laying off for four weeks (bad landing on jump 4), I just finished up my probation.

The funny thing is, after all this work and experience to become a TI, I almost feel like I'm back to being a student again. I wish you the best!