turtlespeed

Math . . .

= boobies. Naked boobies.

My daughter's math question - she appreciates, your reply though.

I solved and she solved and she disagrees with my answer.

She liked your answer almost as much as Skyrider's.

Thanks, Jeff.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

= boobies. Naked boobies.

My daughter's math question - she appreciates, your reply though.

I solved and she solved and she disagrees with my answer.

She liked your answer almost as much as Skyrider's.

Thanks, Jeff.

And to think, I only have an 8th grade eductaion...:ph34r:

Is the problem just to simplify the expression as much as possible? It is an unusual problem that doesn't seem to lend itself to simplifying. Perhaps we've got the expression wrong, What grade level is this math class, that would help to understand if there are some unusual procedures expected to be used.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Is the problem just to simplify the expression as much as possible? It is an unusual problem that doesn't seem to lend itself to simplifying. Perhaps we've got the expression wrong, What grade level is this math class, that would help to understand if there are some unusual procedures expected to be used.

Long Division, she says, and it is College Algebra 1314

find for quotient and remainder
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Of course, but it seems to be "messy", with a lot left over after the obvious 2x^2 in the quotient. Perhaps if you can post your solution, after all you should just be able to multiply it back together to get the original.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Of course, but it seems to be "messy", with a lot left over after the obvious -2x^2 in the quotient. Perhaps if you can post your solution, after all you should just be able to multiply it back together to get the original.

This is the problem as the prof sent it out and it has been somewhere close to 24 years since I have had to think this way.

I came up with
x^4 +3

But I was wrong.

Of course, but it seems to be "messy", with a lot left over after the obvious -2x^2 in the quotient. Perhaps if you can post your solution, after all you should just be able to multiply it back together to get the original.

This is the problem as the prof sent it out and it has been somewhere close to 24 years since I have had to think this way.

I came up with
x^4 +3

(x^4+3)(3x^2-2x) gives you 3x^6-2x^5+9x^2-6x

Since it gives you a 6th order term, something is not right with that answer.

Whoops... I just realized that I had done 6x^4 minus 5x^3 instead of plus.

This changes the answer a bit. its 2x^2 + 3x + 2 with a remainder of 7x +5

See attached. PM for a bigger copy if this ones unreadable I had to shrink it down.

edited to actually add the attachment.

A thunder of jets in a clear blue sky, a streak of gray and a cheerful "Hi"