cocheese

Space shuttle launch viewing. Dz.com gathering?

Let's do launch!:P Nov. 1, 4:40pm

Ok where do I go for the closest view? All tickets are sold out. Can anybody get me (us) into a better area?

Should I try to book a shuttle jump in Sebastian instead? But I really want to see it up close. I want to feel it.

Anyone want to join me before or after the launch?

Should we organize a gathering of dz.commers?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

B|

Go to Titusville; the non-pay public launch-viewing sites (a decent list is here) will give you a good view. This site also has guidelines for how early to get there etc.

Look online for cheap motels, so that you can stay right by wherever you plan to view. That way you won't have to experience the impressively awful traffic before and after, and you won't have to find a place to park. The one we stayed at in May was not a great motel (not unacceptable, but marginal, and my standards aren't real high :P), but it's fine for this kind of thing.

Consider that it might not launch on the first day, and take that into account -- maybe book 2-3 days in the motel. You can ask a local for motel names that aren't on the internet, or use Google street view and look for signs. The big chains are probably all sold out now.

The Clarion has a great view off its balcony, if you can find someone who's staying there, or any of the other multiple-story motels right on the water. Some of them will also let you park in their parking lot for $10.00 as well.

Good luck

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Let's do launch!:P Nov. 1, 4:40pm

Ok where do I go for the closest view? All tickets are sold out. Can anybody get me (us) into a better area?

Should I try to book a shuttle jump in Sebastian instead? But I really want to see it up close. I want to feel it.

Anyone want to join me before or after the launch?

Should we organize a gathering of dz.commers?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html

B|

How good are you at camouflage in a Florida wetlands setting :)

I have been hounding a coworker for months, who also works out at KSC and has access, that I want to be so close it scares me...

Found out last Friday that were cleared (my job has it's perks once in a while). I'll be buying a new HD camera for this one. :)
Sorry, don't think I can bring anyone with but, i'll send pictures after :P

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I took some pictures when I went in May. But I really focused on watching the launch -- after all, the professional pictures are pretty much always better than mine, and they are of the same launch after all.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We're going to be just a little bit closer than the photographers. I heard we'll be issued a gas mask just in case the exhaust blows our way.

I plan to record in HD using a tripod so I can just enjoy it live then in "memorex"
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

We're going to be just a little bit closer than the photographers. I heard we'll be issued a gas mask just in case the exhaust blows our way.

I plan to record in HD using a tripod so I can just enjoy it live then in "memorex"

Might wanna get some flame retardant suits...

Just sayin, it might get a little warm down there.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

One of my aunts used to work for NASA...took friends & family on a personal tour, but she went to Paris for a vacation...met a guy...fell in love...married & moved to France. Lucky Bastard!!!

Sorry Jeffy [:/], you know I'd get you front row seat if she was still there!

"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Speaking of launches, I'd love to join the rest of the world to come down and see the last one in February. However, I got lucky with the one launch I DID get to see because I was in the right place at the right time. I know that I could get there and have it scrubbed, but it still sounds like something not to miss if it can be helped. Any thoughts on the advisability of trying to make a single-purpose trip? (After all, it's Florida. . . . I guess if I miss the space shuttle, there's still plenty to do!)
TPM Sister #102

I took some pictures when I went in May. But I really focused on watching the launch -- after all, the professional pictures are pretty much always better than mine, and they are of the same launch after all.

Good for you. Too many people these days 'experiencing' stuff through a viewfinder. Too many people acting like if they didn't get it on video, they weren't really there!

...I'd love to join the rest of the world to come down and see the last one in February.

It looks like an additional mission will be added to the schedule. It is planned to launch in June, 2011.

Kevin K.

...I'd love to join the rest of the world to come down and see the last one in February.

It looks like an additional mission will be added to the schedule. It is planned to launch in June, 2011.

Kevin K.

Hey Kevin how far down or up the coast do they close off for launces these days. I can remember watching some of the Gemini and Apollo lauches from boats off the coast and it seemed we were fairly close... certainly close enough to feel the launch.

OK found the last release... seems its a larger area now... 9 miles...hmmmm

http://www1.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/releases/2005/58-05.html

As a practical matter, Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station occupy a good area north and south of the launch pad, so you have to be a pretty good distance N or S to watch a launch from the beach. To the west, however, Titusville is just across the river, and makes for a pretty good viewing point. 9/11 and the Columbia accident caused the airspace restrictions to get tighter, so that the closest DZ, Skydive Space Center, is grounded during a launch. Once in the air, a Shuttle launch is visible for quite a distance, and jumps are made from Sebastian and DeLand to coincide with launches.

The viewing areas on KSC are now open only to badged employees and ticket-buying public. They are about 3 - 5 miles from the pad.

Kevin K.