Nataly

Surprising things to put on a CV / resume...

I spent ages translating my CV to French and last week I proudly showed it to a local froggy, who immediately pointed out loads of stuff I was doing "wrong"...

I didn't include the following:
-a picture of myself
-my date of birth
-my marital status
-how many (if any) kids I have
-my hobbies

!!!!

I was shocked! To me, the only reason you could possibly use that personal info for is to discriminate when you're hiring!!! I really didn't believe him, but according to google (and google knows everything), he's right!

Oh well.. When in Rome..
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I was pretty shocked a month back when I had to update my info. I was told to list everything so what I did was create two, a basic version and then once I was called for an interview I submitted the full version.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Yeah, I put running and yoga - one shows "drive" and the other maturity/calm.

Out of the list this is the only one I can kind of understand, because you can show your caracter/personality, which could point to whether you are a team player, et cetera.. The other ones, not so much!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

What's CV?

CV (or Curriculum vitae) is a latin expression which can be loosely translated as [the] course of [my] life.

In the UK, it's called a CV; in the States and Canada, I believe the Anglos call it a resume. ie: what you use to apply for a job.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

I spent ages translating my CV to French and last week I proudly showed it to a local froggy, who immediately pointed out loads of stuff I was doing "wrong"...

-a picture of myself
-my date of birth-my marital status
-my hobbies

!!!!

I was shocked! To me, the only reason you could possibly use that personal info for is to discriminate when you're hiring!!! I really didn't believe him, but according to google (and google knows everything), he's right!

Oh well.. When in Rome..

When applying for a job last week they asked how long I had been driving a car. The job would not have required me to do any driving on the job. I may be paranoid but I think they are just trying to zero in on my age.:(

There is no one right answer. There can't be. There are loads of different people, in loads of different positions/ time-in-post etc.. and loads of different jobs/types of job.

So to be dogmatic about content is just plain anal.

General appearance (of the CV) and correctness of spelling and grammar on the other hand is vitally important. - This will generally make the difference between a read or a bin.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

When applying for a job last week they asked how long I had been driving a car. The job would not have required me to do any driving on the job. I may be paranoid but I think they are just trying to zero in on my age.:(

That's odd... Figuring out a person's age is usually pretty easy... All you need is to look at their first job or what year they graduated from university, etc... Usually there are a bunch of hints, so the fact that you didn't need to drive for the job but they asked about your driving licence?? Well, I think it's weird!!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

So to be dogmatic about content is just plain anal.

I somewhat agree, but having worked in recruitment (in the UK), I can tell you that there are certain expected "standards" one would expect on a CV. And from all my googling, it would seem the above-mentioned criteria are pretty standard in France. :S

Trust me, we binned CV's a lot less than employers do, because recruiters can re-dress your experience before sending it to the client... Clients, however, discriminate on a WHOLE lot because they can... Even the university you attended... In fact, not stating whether you had graduated with a first, a 2:1, etc., meant we were automatically suspicious of poor exam results...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

-a picture of myself

Give them that Goth pic you posted some time back.:P

:D:D:D

What an *excellent* idea!!! :D Perhaps I will get a job as a dominatrix!! :P
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

-a picture of myself

Give them that Goth pic you posted some time back.:P

What an *excellent* idea!!! :D Perhaps I will get a job as a dominatrix!! :P

I hear there is one opening in Atlanta soon.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

What's CV?

CV (or Curriculum vitae) is a latin expression which can be loosely translated as [the] course of [my] life.

In the UK, it's called a CV; in the States and Canada, I believe the Anglos call it a resume. ie: what you use to apply for a job.

There is a differences between CV and resume. CVs are usually about 10 pgs and resumes are supposed to be no more than 2pgs. CV's are designed to go into details about any publications, books, accomplishments, ect. Resumes are just a basic 10 yr work history and duties.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

What's CV?

In the US we have both CV's and resumes. Similar in purpose, but quite different in appearance. CV's are much longer and more detailed, and tend to be used for certain kinds of jobs - like those in academia. Resumes I believe are much more common (although I haven't had one since I was 20 and needed it to show the insurance company for a job I already had... I'm in a CV field).

Sounds more like they are trying to decide if they want to have an affair with you. Afterall, it's the French.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

You and D are both right - in North America, there is that distinction between the CV and the resume. In the UK, however, everyone uses CV instead of resume.

The average UK "CV" is 2 pages, although junior jobseekers often can't justify more than 1 page, whilst senior jobseekers can get away with 3 (or exceptionally 4) pages.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Sounds more like they are trying to decide if they want to have an affair with you. Afterall, it's the French.

- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

-a picture of myself
-my date of birth
-my marital status
-my hobbies

!!!!

Oh well.. When in Rome..

besides the picture and the number of kids the rest os standard on a cv here in ireland

i dont really see a problem with any of it, id never include a picture and as a guy i doubt they care how many kids i have as im not gonna be able to take paternity leave anyway

if i was a business owner i would wanta s much info as possible

besides the picture and the number of kids the rest os standard on a cv here in ireland

i dont really see a problem with any of it, id never include a picture and as a guy i doubt they care how many kids i have as im not gonna be able to take paternity leave anyway

if i was a business owner i would wanta s much info as possible

I don't know if Ireland has the same employment laws as the UK, but as of 2005 or 2006 it's illegal in the UK to discriminate on the basis of age (in addition to race, gender, religion, sexuality). So employers are not allowed to say or hint that they want someone young - they are not allowed to ask dob either. Although you are free to put it on your CV if you want. And anyway we all know people are discriminated against on all counts regardless of all these laws...

I suppose in a way it may be no more or less discriminatory in France, except that they are perhaps more upfront about it.
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

The Army requires you to have an official photo posted to your file within the past 18 months. It is a part of any promotion board or selection process. There is no official explanation for why. Your evaluations record that you pass the physical fitness standards to include height and weight requirements. Do you think they want to decide if you are good looking?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.