AggieDave

Anyone know how to fix a fridge?

Anyone know how to fix a fridge? It's running, just not cooling near like it should (freezer was in the 50's). Just cleaned the dust bunnies under/behind the fridge out. The condenser was hot and the fan was running. The fridge just stopped running this morning with no previous warning and is only 4 years old.

I can hear the fridge clicking on every 90 seconds or so.

Ideas?

I'm good with cars and computers, I'm not any good with appliances.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Is your freezer still working?

Recently, my fridge stopped but my freezer was still working fine. Someone told me to unplug the whole thing for about a day.I unplugged it and let it set overnight. The next day I plugged it back in and everything booted up just like normal.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

>The fridge just stopped running this morning with no previous warning
>and is only 4 years old.

Keep in mind that it may be in its defrost cycle. That can take hours to complete.

If it's not, and it's clicking on and off (i.e. you can hear the compressor stop and restart every 90 seconds or so) then it may be the thermostat, which is good news because it's one of the few things you can fix. To test it you can bypass it by connecting the two thermostat wires together. If the fridge then gets cold, replace the thermostat.

If that doesn't work, the defrost timer may be stuck "on." You can check this with a meter. Disconnect the wires that go to the little motor in the timer and check them. The resistance should not be 0 or infinite; it should be somewhere in between. If it's not replace it.

If the fridge doesn't get cold and it's not the defrost timer then it's possible you have a compressor problem. Sometimes that clicking noise is a thermal protector that prevents a frozen compressor from setting anything on fire. If this is the case nothing will be getting remotely cold and the compressor will be very hot. If that's the case it may be cheaper to replace the whole thing.

It's also worth checking the fan(s.) They should be spinning while the compressor is running. If not the refrig won't get very cold and the coils will freeze up quickly.

>The fridge just stopped running this morning with no previous warning
>and is only 4 years old.

Keep in mind that it may be in its defrost cycle. That can take hours to complete.

If it's not, and it's clicking on and off (i.e. you can hear the compressor stop and restart every 90 seconds or so) then it may be the thermostat, which is good news because it's one of the few things you can fix. To test it you can bypass it by connecting the two thermostat wires together. If the fridge then gets cold, replace the thermostat.

If that doesn't work, the defrost timer may be stuck "on." You can check this with a meter. Disconnect the wires that go to the little motor in the timer and check them. The resistance should not be 0 or infinite; it should be somewhere in between. If it's not replace it.

If the fridge doesn't get cold and it's not the defrost timer then it's possible you have a compressor problem. Sometimes that clicking noise is a thermal protector that prevents a frozen compressor from setting anything on fire. If this is the case nothing will be getting remotely cold and the compressor will be very hot. If that's the case it may be cheaper to replace the whole thing.

It's also worth checking the fan(s.) They should be spinning while the compressor is running. If not the refrig won't get very cold and the coils will freeze up quickly.

Keeping in mind that the thermostat is high voltage, don't zap yourself.

Also, is the compressor kicking on and STAYING on? I can't tell you how many fridges have been saved with a hard start kit.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

No, I think it is clicking on and off...

Unplug it for a few hours and see if it persists when you plug it back in. If its still happening, you could have a bad compressor, or you might be able to get away with a HSK.

You didn't lay the fridge down did you?

Many people move fridges around in their trucks by laying them down and plugging them right in when they get them to the new location, this puts all the liquid freon in the wrong part of the system and can damage it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I have no idea how to fix your fridge...but I will offer usless advise.

ask for advise on a skydiving forum and give very little information about the problem.....we are sure to figure it out :)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1357083#1357083 He Knows! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

i would try draining and replacing the freon

Do you have an EPA license to buy more?

I do... but I probably won't be in Texas any time in the near future.

I have no idea how to fix your fridge...but I will offer usless advise.

ask for advise on a skydiving forum and give very little information about the problem.....we are sure to figure it out :)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1357083#1357083 He Knows! :ph34r:

Exactly! Although, this is the quickest place for untold thousands of people to see something quickly.

Luckily, since my fridge isn't running, my fat-ass was able to catch it!

Best way I've figured out how to fix a broken fridge. Is to go to Best Buy or Conn's and buy a new one. They're just like everything else in this world now. Disposable. [:/]

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Thanks to this thread, I just broke the glass to the crisper. Crown Royal bottle fell from the top to the bottom when i opened the door after vaccuming behind and underneath the fridge.

Then I tipped over the waste basket and spilled the glass all over again. Now out to the garage to go get the shop vac. Regular vacuumes hate glass chunks.:D

All this because the fridge was starting to make weird noises. I'll probably need a new one soon.[:/]

Holy hell Twardo, you've got a great memory for someone your age!:ph34r:

he remembers things from years ago-just don't ask him what WHO he had for breakfast.

Poor Ralffers[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Turned out to be the relay for the compressor. $150 and about an hour of a repair tech's time and we're back in business. We also now have an empty fridge (didn't catch it in time to save anything but the vodka in the freezer).