shropshire

Happy birthday .. The Harrier (Jump Jet)

USMC AV-8A Harriers supported us in Ramadi, 2005-06...loud!! Pilots are cool too!
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And the best air show I ever saw. When they first came out the pilots were kind of one their own. I think they sent them to fighter school and helo school, then turned them loose.
They flew the shit out of them. THis guy would take the thing off the airport and coming screaming back then stand it on its tail and hit the thusters. Tool it to altitude dove it at the ground yanked it up and jacked the thusters. You could hear the thing whoop, whoop, whoop as the bottom of the plane bonced on the aero braking. At the end of the show he brings in in front of the crowd. Faces the audience at about 20 feet and bows it like a helicopter. As he lifts the nose up, boom it falls on the ground and explods. Poof the guy shoots out through the canopy and plops on the ground. I think all it did was break his nose, but what a finally. 4.2 million bucks boom.
A few years later I met some harrier pilots at another air show. Man did their show look mundane, compared to the old one. I asked one of them what happened to that pilot. They got quiet and serious: "He's flying C-130s."
They said he had the sleaves of his flight suit rolled up and when he reached for the nozzle control he caught the throttle and boom. He didn't eject. The bail out bottle exploded of impact and spit him threw the canopy. That's what broke his nose.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

As he lifts the nose up, boom it falls on the ground and explods. Poof the guy shoots out through the canopy and plops on the ground.

Wildman, is that you??B|

Hey, was that at the Provo, Utah airshow back in '81, maybe '82? We saw the show on Friday, the day before the incident. Damn, I miss all the excitement.:D

As he lifts the nose up, boom it falls on the ground and explods. Poof the guy shoots out through the canopy and plops on the ground.

Wildman, is that you??B|

Hey, was that at the Provo, Utah airshow back in '81, maybe '82? We saw the show on Friday, the day before the incident. Damn, I miss all the excitement.:D

Yeah its me. It was at Michell field, Milwaukee's Municiple airport.
And we got freebies out of a DC3 to jump in.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

And now England is retiring their fleet of Harriers, with nothing to replace them until 2020...

Yeap ... and it gets worse.... we've ordered a couple of a/c carriers and have NO planes to fly from them[:/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Look at 1 o'clock in second pic and you can see the pilot.

Wow, I'd like to have seen a high quality colour version of that photo. Maybe there wasn't one, though.

'Marine Captain Torrent'. That's a fine name for an action hero pilot, especially one asociated with boats! :D

And now England is retiring their fleet of Harriers, with nothing to replace them until 2020...

Yeap ... and it gets worse.... we've ordered a couple of a/c carriers and have NO planes to fly from them[:/]

Perhaps your gov't could enlist the aid of some local radio-control hobbyists.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Are they catapult equipped or the ski ramp type? If ya got a cat, you can shoot all kinds of planes off the bow. If not, you're shopping options are kind of limited. VTOL f-35's would fit the bill.

It sounds like an open invitation for Argentina to attack the Falklands once again.