tsisson

Blanket in the door...

Just an observation and something the bothers the hell out of me. As it starts to get colder, any DZ's out there have a blanket that gets shoved into the gap above the door to keep the cold wind out? Anyone ever observe jumpers shoving said blanket above the door before takeoff?

Think about this...as you have essentially locked yourself and the rest of the load into a coffin should you have to exit fast during the first 2000-3000 ft of climb. I personally, don't want that freaking blanket anywhere near the door for the first 4000 feet.

hmmmm

as quick as "said blanket" is shoved IN the door

can't it just as easily be yanked OUT????
( should the need arise)... (which is remote, in the first place)...
we're Not barnstorming anymore,,, in just any old airplanes...
and Most ALL dz's and DZOs have become VERY diligent about aircraft Upkeep and maintaining High quality jumpships......so your time spent worrying about some imagined 'safey issue' during the take-off roll could be better used thinking about your upcoming skydive...

i can appreciate your concern,,, but it could be a bit over exaggerated...
jmy

The door in an Otter usually has reinforcements going side to side; a shoe will carry the whole door with it and form a decent seal.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

as quick as "said blanket" is shoved IN the door

can't it just as easily be yanked OUT????
( should the need arise)... (which is remote, in the first place)...
we're Not barnstorming anymore,,, in just any old airplanes...

i can appreciate your concern,,, but it could be a bit over exaggerated...
jmy

My concerns replace complacency.

Try this exercise...yank the door up hard while a blanket is wedged in there...then try to remove the blanket or move the door.

I jump in Arizona...and had one of those highly maintained aircraft leak Jet A all over 6 of us on the way to altitude last weekend. No aircraft are "perfectly good". Things happen as you know.

Be safe...

There's a gap between the sliding door and the fuselage itself. If you jam a show inbetween the inside bar and the door, it pushes the upper edge of the door againt the fuselage and seals the gap. Keep in mind that the door is far more flexible than the bar, so when you jam a shoe in there that is too bog to fit, the door flexes to make room, and ends up making contact with the airframe.

not sure WHY anyone would even touch the door, without first removing what's holding it.. blanket, shoe etc...
it would only take a second , to do so...

i see your point about an unexpected issue....however...sometimes peole can do the wrong thing , First...

as for the fuel leak....
well that really sucks. sorry to hear it..
i bet none of those involved, at THAT moment,
would say they "love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning"....
[:/]:(
as for the door...P.I.C. should dictate what can and cannot be used to "seal the cold air out" .

the jumpers may buy a lift ticket,,, or NOT...as they choose..

jt

"

not sure WHY anyone would even touch the door, without first removing what's holding it.. blanket, shoe etc...

jt

"

..................................................................................

Worst case scenario ... the plane crashes and all the instructors, load organizers, etc. are unconscious or dead. A tandem student is the only passenger awake and she starts tugging on the door, having never flown before, never seen this type of door before, much less ever operated it, never heard about the "shoe trick," etc.

That is why fire regulations require all exit doors to be stupid simple and intuitive to open (eg. push to open).

I agree that blankets are an obsolete example of "african engineering."
Plane owners would be better off installing rubber seals across the top edge and skydivers would be wise to learn how to dress for the cold.

not sure WHY anyone would even touch the door, without first removing what's holding it.. blanket, shoe etc.

Panic. People burn in without deploying a single parachute and they have normally done it several times before.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Option 2 -

On bigways, as we go above 15,000, it gets teeth-chattering cold.

A long time ago, a person noted that I was sitting back near
the tail and offered to give me a blanket.
It became "the plane blanket". Once we started getting
close to jump run, I just passed it forward and it got
tossed against the forward wall.

The next year, I put 2 in the trunk. On the plane,
2 others in the back were kidding me about it.
"I have another in the trunk, let me know if you want
to borrow it when we land."
They spoke to me in the landing area.

You don't have to put wedge the blanket in the top of the door, you can wrap yourself in it.
:)

Assuming a sliding door on an otter, you are not really putting much pressure at all against the door or the rail with the shoe trick. The top of the door is the area where the rail has to make it's steepest bend and therefore the rail has a lot of slack in it there. The door tends to lean to the inside and therefore leaves a crack between it and the wall. The shoe simply pushes the door back to the other side of the crack, plus just a little pressure.

I could see the blanket becoming jammed between the door and wall and jaming the door, but not the shoe. When you lift the door without removing the shoe, the shoe normally just jumps out anyway. When it does not, and even after someone really yanks up on the door, you can still reach up and very easily extrat the shoe. Yes I have seen this happen. I also agree that there is a chance the shoe could jam, but highly unlikely.

The same thing can be accomplished with a perpendicular wedge of plastic (same type as the door track) that's fixed permanently to the top of the door. The wedge seals the top bar against the door edge as it contacts the inside floater bar, and the plastic glides smoothly. An A&P should be the one doing the work since it will probably modify a 337 approval.

Lance

I jump in Arizona...and had one of those highly maintained aircraft leak Jet A all over 6 of us on the way to altitude last weekend. No aircraft are "perfectly good". Things happen as you know.

Be safe...

What was the final outcome of the fuel leak issue? Last thing I knew was that your Boogie weekend was blown and they were looking at possible damage to your reserve.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)