Nightingale

ATTN: PET OWNERS: Don't do what I did!!!!!

You have obviously never tried to help a cat that was just hit by a car, and not declawed.[:/]

That wouldn't be accurate, but there is a difference between a frightened animal that doesn't know better and a human that ought to.

She was 8 years old - she has been completely blind in one eye and 90% blind in the other for 32 years now.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Agreed. Value is highly subjective. Just because I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a pet, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with someone else doing so.:)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

32 years?:o What the hell kind of demon cat is that?

ETA: Nevermind, "Duh" moment. You meant the scratchee, not the scratcher.:S

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

32 years?:o What the hell kind of demon cat is that?

We were all walking to the local pool, there was an little 8 yo girl, Patty, who saw her cat get hit by a car. She ran over to it and the cat scratched her eyes out. That was 32 years ago.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hope your cat is doing better. But as a Vet, apart form relieving the urethral obstruction and some fluids the rest of the procedures you described were helpful but you could have waited to see if they became actually necessary before paying to have them done. If you ask most Vets what needs to be done now and what can wait, they will tell you.

Hopefully they also told you that you need to keep your kitty on a urinary diet like Science Diet C/d. That problem usually reoccurs. One other option that I didn't see mentioned in controlling expenses is that you could always marry a Vet. Worked for my wife:)

Hope your cat is doing better. But as a Vet, apart form relieving the urethral obstruction and some fluids the rest of the procedures you described were helpful but you could have waited to see if they became actually necessary before paying to have them done. If you ask most Vets what needs to be done now and what can wait, they will tell you.

Hopefully they also told you that you need to keep your kitty on a urinary diet like Science Diet C/d. That problem usually reoccurs. One other option that I didn't see mentioned in controlling expenses is that you could always marry a Vet. Worked for my wife:)

That post was from 2004. The bulk of the cost was the procedure to unblock him, the late night emergency vet visit, and the bloodwork since we didn't know how long he'd been blocked as I'd been out of town for a day or so before that. I don't remember the actual cost breakdown, but we're in a pretty expensive area of CA, so everything tends to cost more overall, also, since rents are higher. I'm not sure they even charged me for the x-ray.

He was on CD until we lost him to cancer in 2008. Was a happy, healthy cat right until the cancer and we never had a recurrence of the urinary tract problem.

FYI: Unless you pay the extra fee per month ASPCA will not cover a condition when you renew. It is now considered a preexisting condition.

My Pup has been insured since day one and I wouldn't go a day without it unless I had a substantial amount of money that I could go without. Yes it is a cost, but it provides piece of mind that I can provide her the best medical treatment available (Including genetic and hereditary problems such as hip dysplasia or a PTLO)

FYI: Unless you pay the extra fee per month ASPCA will not cover a condition when you renew. It is now considered a preexisting condition.

My Pup has been insured since day one and I wouldn't go a day without it unless I had a substantial amount of money that I could go without. Yes it is a cost, but it provides piece of mind that I can provide her the best medical treatment available (Including genetic and hereditary problems such as hip dysplasia or a PTLO)

I know. We have the continuing care option.

I was on the "veterinary track" in college, and even when I switched both majors, it stated that. :)
We switched my kitty to the Purina UR (there was also a CD diet; Is that better?) provided by our vet and thank goodness it is OK for our other kitty to eat as well, since all our animals free-feed. That part is important to me. I never want to be (though, I would if necessary) on a timed-feeding-plan. Just a few loud claps of the hands and our dogs have never touched the cat stuff, nor vice versa ever since. They all snack and drink as they want to in their respective areas.

We brought our papers and x-rays to our normal vet right away after we brought our baby home, since we wanted to go ahead and get new food (which the ER vets said our regular vet would provide us) before our follow-up visit. We LOVE our regularly vet/s. I know my stuff, though I am no professional, and over the years we have switched vets a couple times because I just did not feel like the previous ones had my and my furry-babies best interests in mind always. Finally a wonderful and reputable friend recommended a new vet and not only were they a fraction of the cost (not that that was a reason for switching), but I immediately felt at home. Like you, he was supportive of our decision to go to the ER and what the ER did, but was on a simliar page as you regarding the amount of procedrues and if they were really necessary right away, etc. I knew that going in, I knew that when they were doing everything, but all I knew most is I wanted everything to be OK with my angel. Having said that, I do not want him put through anything unless absolutely necessary, so...

Arm yourself with knowledge. My point of resurrecting the thread was a friendly reminder for folks to plan--however works best for them--for care for their furry babies.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin