Ketia0

Need diamond help pretty pretty please...

Im still trying to figure out HOW to do that :S

I have sooo much to plan...

1. Find the ring
2. Ask her dad
3. Figure out how to do it.

And here I thought it would be simple :S

:)

Talk to her Dad, maybe the family has an heirloom ring that means more than any storebought rock.

I proposed to my wife with my grandmothers engagement ring. My wife still wears it (and not a wedding band) not only because its a beautiful ring, but because she is proud to wear the history of our family.

good luck!
Jump more, post less!

Vskydiver watched a documentary on the artificially inflated diamond trade and the cartel that controls it. She told me "No more diamonds." She still likes gold, though. :)

Do you know the name of the show?
If we can find it online, it sounds like a good link to save for reference.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

No, it's not a good deal. Your "friend" is ripping you off. :S

It is a better than typical retail deal, assuming vg to ideal cut quality. Please tell us a retailer at which he can get that diamond for significantly less.

I proposed using a nice looking gold/CZ solitaire ring that cost about $140. I knew better than to buy an expensive ring without the fiancee's design input. She usually wears the diamonds all the time, but has worn the cheap one when we were traveling overseas. The first wife didn't get an engagement ring, and she didn't want one. I was a graduate student, so it wasn't really an option anyway.

you forgot the "In my opinion" preface-the kid didn't ask if he should, he asked how to go about it and got little relevant advice and lot's of useless pontificating. The wife got a small ring when we got engaged because that's what I could afford. She got a tasteful but much nicer diamond at 10 years because we were in better shape-mostly because of her. It's not something that means much to some of you (some legitimately and honestly because some of you are sour graping, cheap, or selfish). No regard, I don't have to live with any of you, but why make this kid have to wade through your baggage and feelings of inadequacy just for shopping help.

This is one of the funniest trolls I’ve read on here in a long time! Bra-fucking-vo!
I salute you.

My girlfriend did not ask for a super expensive ring. I WANT her to have a nice ring. My financial state right now would be able to let me get this, without going into debt.

Congrats to you in finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with and good luck with figuring out all the details! :)
I didn't think I wanted an expensive ring either, I initially wanted something sapphire or something else. For personal reasons my husband WANTED to buy me a very nice ring. It was actually very important to him, which really surprised me, but once he explained to me why it was so important to him then it really made sense. And like you, he did it without going into debt and the ring now makes both of us very happy. He is proud of it and I love wearing it.

I didn't even really want to look at rings, but he kept asking me what kind of ring I wanted and I really had no idea. So we went to Jarrod's or some other box store just to look at different types of rings and stones and stuff, and he got ideas of what I liked and didn't like. But when it came down to it, he bought the stone from a friend who had it sitting in his safe deposit box, and then had it set by a local jeweler. So you can always buy the stone from one place and have it put in a setting you like (most local jewelers can do just about any setting you want) and it would probably be cheaper than buying the whole set from the big box store.

And just because we'd gone "ring shopping" he still managed to surprise me with his proposal...in the middle of a skydive. :D:P

Good luck with everything and don't forget to get it insured!!!! :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

It's probably pointless for people to give the advice not to buy a diamond ring because it's a waste of money. Hello, we're skydivers! We're constantly spending money on "pointless" stuff.

But the ethical issues are real. I don't think even a truly unique sparkly rock would be worth the bloodshed. Just because the OP only asked for shopping help doesn't make that point invalid.

If I posted asking for advice on how best to cook a baby, would you criticize the people telling me that it's a bad idea to eat babies in the first place?

PS - My bet is deep fried.

".. and don't forget to get it insured!!!! :)

damn, if i was going to pay insurance on something, i sure would like it to be more interesting than a silly rock. not only have we (society) been sold the idea of diamonds, then the insurance industry comes in and makes $ off of it. ahhh, the dumbing down continues...:S

damn, if i was going to pay insurance on something, i sure would like it to be more interesting than a silly rock. not only have we (society) been sold the idea of diamonds, then the insurance industry comes in and makes $ off of it. ahhh, the dumbing down continues...:S

If you have homeowner's insurance, you can get a rider attached for jewelry. I don't think it was all that much extra. We had our antique ring appraised and insured for that amount.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you have homeowner's insurance, you can get a rider attached for jewelry. I don't think it was all that much extra. We had our antique ring appraised and insured for that amount.

yeah, i know, i have multiple houses with one big fat rider or this and that...but not for a rock. i just hate insurance all together, and the fact that we buy it for a rock, is silly. i think for me it comes down to vanity. the diamond is to show off, to brag about. how bout showing off your love for each other by getting married and STAYING married. 50% of marriages end in divorce. :|

yeah, i know, i have multiple houses with one big fat rider or this and that...but not for a rock. i just hate insurance all together, and the fact that we buy it for a rock, is silly. i think for me it comes down to vanity. the diamond is to show off, to brag about. how bout showing off your love for each other by getting married and STAYING married. 50% of marriages end in divorce. :|

I agree. It's a shame people don't take marriage more seriously.

I have heard of people getting divorced over stupid asinine shit. I've been to hell and back a couple of times during my 10 years of marriage and I'm still happily married to her! It's all about working through the bad times, staying faithful and having true love for each other. Nobody's perfect, but man, some people just give up too fucking easy. Those are the ones that should never have married in the first place... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

i just hate insurance all together, and the fact that we buy it for a rock, is silly.

You're not insuring the rock, you're insuring the asset. If you lose the rock, they don't give you another one, they give you the value of the asset.

It's all about the benjamins. If you have the dough to lose a $4k asset and not think twice about it, there's no need to insure it. If you'd rather lose a couple bucks a month due to higher homeowners insurance than risk the $4k, go that way.

Insurance isn't a scam if you need it. If you never file a claim, it can feel like a scam after awhile, but it does deliver the advertised service, it insures your assests against loss. Even if you don't file a claim, you could have if need be, and that's the purpose.

There really are only a few types of insurance that are required anyway, auto liability and motgage come to mind, and both of those are really insuring other peoples assets. The victim if you should cause an auto accident, and the bank if anything should happen to your (their) house. Everything esle is optional, so if you're feeling lucky (punk) cancel it all and see how it goes.

50% of marriages end in divorce

Sure and 100% of divorces started with a marriage.

I'm with you, number don't mean anything, including karat count. Love counts, but commitment counts because times get tough sometimes. The commitment will get you through the tough times so you can remember that you absolutely do love each other.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm with you, number don't mean anything, including karat count. Love counts, but commitment counts because times get tough sometimes. The commitment will get you through the tough times so you can remember that you absolutely do love each other.

Couldn't have said it much better. :)

8 years, not one argument...guess we are the lucky ones. :)

There really are only a few types of insurance that are required anyway, auto liability and motgage come to mind, and both of those are really insuring other peoples assets. The victim if you should cause an auto accident, and the bank if anything should happen to your (their) house. Everything esle is optional, so if you're feeling lucky (punk) cancel it all and see how it goes.

uuuh, with respect i would really have to disagree with you on this one. i am a self employed general contractor and real estate broker. ok, lets see. besides all the home owner, motocycle and vehicle insurances, with the rider to cover my total net worth if some smuck sues me, there is general liabilty, then builders insurance (covers actual damage by theft, not covered under liabilty), errors and omissions ( E & O ) for the broker deals, workmans comp if i bring on employees...shall i go on? oh, forgot about the scuba and good old UPSA insurance.

the husband and I got matching bands and then my children became pre-teens in Atlanta... so, I got what we call my "Atlanta Ring" because it was a symbol of whether my kid was good enough to be around their kid...

shallow. I hardly ever wear it anymore, but I'm in MN now where practical overrides shallow...

people are so often limited by the visual...

No - that just means you are the most whipped man in all of time.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

by the way....every industry that insurance has gotten their teeth into has increased their prices. mark my words. in ten years if the pet insurance really takes off, watch what happens to vet costs.

now back to the subject. would i buy insurance for a rock? no. because i...we, ...do not buy silly rocks. we buy houses, which allow us to spend more time together, jumping from planes, not starring and ooooing at a silly, insured, rock. :)

how did you know what we like to do in the bed room ? :o

how did you know what we like to do in the bed room ? :o

Pretty obvious.

I mean - well - it's just obvious.

be a good little pony boy, now.:ph34r::ph34r:

If she ever took the gag out of your mouth, there might just be argument every now and again.

Then you can have make-up sex.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun