hcsvader

Do it yourself projects

That you should never do yourself.

Tinting your cars windows yourself >:(

I've done this to quite a few of my vehicles. The result is usually ok with a few inperfections. This is ok by me because most of my vehicles are worthless POS cars.

Everytime I do this it is a horribly frustrating process. I just bought a 93 toyota camry wagon and I wanted to tint the windows really dark for when I'm sleeping in it at the DZ. I bought 6M of window tint which should have been enough to cover all the side windows and the rear windscreen. Thats 7 windows.

First window I somehow managed to cut the tint to short and sure enough I started on the shortest window so I couldnt reuse it on any of the others. So I cut another piece and went about applying the tint and totally fucked it up. If you get the slightest crease in the window tint it will leave a very visable line... this one was fucking full of them!

So 3 attemps to get the first window done somewhat half decent. second window goes good, couple small imperfections but I'm okay with that.

3rd window goes pretty good, I think I'm getting better at this :S

Cut out the tint for the 4th window and as I peel the plastic off the back I realize I cut it facing the wrong direction, as if the sticky side would be placed on the outside of the window... and since i had already done the window on the otherside I couldn't use it for that.

So I've no wasted about 2M of tint fucking things up, the 4 rear windows are done and look ok. I've decided I'm not going to tint the front 2 as this tint is really dark and seeing at night could be an issue.

I have enough tint left to cover the rear windscreen, so I cut it out knowig that it doesn't matter which way the film is facing and as I'm peeling the film off the back the sticky side of the tint made contact with my shirt sleeve when I moved my arm folding the tint over onto itself and sticking to itself kinda like cling wrap does... well that piece of tint is now also totally fucked... you can pull the stuff aprt but it leaves creases in the tint which will be very visable once its applied.

So fuck it, the 4 back windows are tinted I have a sunshade for the front window and Im going to buy one for the rear window and 2 front windows for when Im sleeping in the wagon... Should have just bought sunshades for all the windows... there only 5 bucks each and come with suction cups to keep em stuck to the window.

At 5 bucks each for I could have bought 8 shades for $40 instead of spending $50 on tint... half of which I totally fucked up >:(

So what do it yourself projects have you totally fucked up?
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I'm a plumber and it seems that every time I do a plumbing job in my own house something goes haywire, especially when my wife gets involved.

Her: That looks crooked.
Me, with level: No it's not, see?
Her: Well, your level is obviously not working.
Me: You think my level is broken?
Her: Maybe you're not holding it right.

Yada,yada. Then I do it over and it leaks.

The things we do for love.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I'm a plumber and it seems that every time I do a plumbing job in my own house something goes haywire, especially when my wife gets involved.

now that there is funny!

CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

You're a pro plumber and she kibbitzes your handiwork.:D That's funny.

My gal knows how to use a level. if the bubble's in the middle, she doesn't second-guess it to death. :)

Yeah!
I used to have a wife like that.
The last place I saw her was in divorce court!

Are you sure her words weren't "You're half-a-bubble off plumb!" :)

none that bad but I did build a dock, deck and gazebo where a couple boards were cut wrong :P

I do woodworking and have refurbished/remodeled a house or two. I can't tell you how much wood I've cut/routed/drilled/planed a little off.:S:D

"Measure twice, cut once!" :)

none that bad but I did build a dock, deck and gazebo where a couple boards were cut wrong :P

I do woodworking and have refurbished/remodeled a house or two. I can't tell you how much wood I've cut/routed/drilled/planed a little off.:S:D

That is Patina!;)

That you should never do yourself.

Lots of 'em. Part of the problem is that they always start out seeming so simple...

For example, when I first moved into my present house, I needed to re-do the wallpaper in the den, as it was old, stained and peeling. So I removed the old wallpaper, and then discovered that the chalkboard behind the wallpaper on one wall was rotten and crumbling. Well shucks.

So then I pull down the old chalkboard on that wall, figuring to do the job right and replace that before I get back to the wallpaper. But once the chalkboard is pulled out, guess what? Now I discover that the wood framing inside the wall has been eaten up by termites and the 2x4 studs are like shredded paper. Ack!

And finally, I had to rebuild the whole frickin' wall, putting in new studs, new chalkboard and then finally getting back to the simple wallpaper job I started out with.

And here's another tip:

Don't put those tablets in your toilet bowl that turn the water blue, because then when the toilet springs a leak, it will stain the carpet blue, and you'll have to replace all the carpet.

Yeah, home ownership can be like this.

And finally, I had to rebuild the whole frickin' wall, putting in new studs, new chalkboard and then finally getting back to the simple wallpaper job I started out with.

Hey, it needed to be done. Sounds like you did it right.:)

Yeah, home ownership can be like this.

I tell people, once you buy that first home, there's never a day where there's nothing you need to do. :S:D

love home improvement projects - each one is a great excuse to buy another cool tool

the big difference - pros have the right tools (and other stuff) - and they get to do things more than just the one time (experience).

experience - But the one time is fun

tools - do it yourselfers always try to get it to work with what they have - would you rather try to make a straight cut with a good table saw and clean guides, or a worn out hand saw balancing the board on your trashcan?

that reminds me - need to buy new trashcans

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Measured with a Micrometer, Marked in Chalk, Cut with an Axe...:o[:/]B|

My kind of woodworking!

One of my favorite diy jobs was the first week or so that Streaker and I were married.
He cut all of the boards for a gate under the supervision of my brother in law, a great carpenter.
He came home with all of the boards, laid them out on the hard wood floors and took out 16 penny nails to connect them to each other.
He didn't stop til he was completely done nailing it totally to the floor.
But the measurements were all precise!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

damn I cut that board twice and its still too short!!!

damn I cut that board twice and its still too short!!!

:D:D:D

Well, huury up and go get the board stretcher before it shrinks any more!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun