LongWayToFall

Cold Weather. How cold can you go???

Living in the Bay Area, I used to think that 32f was pretty damn cold. Right now I am in North Dakota, and experienced -12f, with 20+ mph winds. This is COLD!!!
1. Any exposed skin is pain, especially eye balls.
2. Breathing through the nose results in my boogers freezing and poking the inside of my nose (ouch!)
3. Breathing through the mouth causes the water in my breath to freeze on my mustache, making icicles. No joke.

What is the coldest weather you have been in????

Lets see, 1973, streets of Rochester New York, I woke up under 3 foot drifts pinning me to the ground undder the pin tree I choose to fall asleep in, I was over 3 miles from the nearest place for relief for a street urchin, (coffe shop) When I got there, I didn;t have enough for a cup of coffee, so they kicked me out , till I could pay in advance, almost 2 hours later, I finally got lucky when a woman got a flat, and gave me a buck for fixing it...(wish I'd thought of that, I'd have stabbed some tires)

But when I went in to my hot cup of pre paid for coffee...I couldn;t even pick the cup up for almost a half an hour, my hands have never been the same since!

I swear, I know I looked like shit, "but" those poeple would have watched me freeze to death, right there on the sidewalk...never giving a shit....

I make a point to help out street people every chance I get! (which is a lot)

I supply tents, clothes, and food to them as often as I can!

1. Any exposed skin is pain, especially eye balls.
2. Breathing through the nose results in my boogers freezing and poking the inside of my nose (ouch!)
3. Breathing through the mouth causes the water in my breath to freeze on my mustache, making icicles. No joke.

That's cold! I've never really been in weather conditions that cold. Other than layovers, the coldest weather I've experienced was in South Korea - 2004. It was probably 15F, but flying straight from the Philippines where I had spent the past couple months in 106F made it seem worse than it was.

Edit: The ad to the left is for Columbia cold weather gear and shows a dude buried in snow freezing his balls off.

I went to Colorado a few years ago and it was -10 when I arrived. That was pretty cold for this FL girl who isn't used to the temps being below 40!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

From Marine city Mi we took off at -20 for an all day of demo jumps into Perch Point Conservation Club. I was part of the first four. We landed in two feet of snow fitting of the "Winter Carnival" .We packed on the wet floor inside ready to go again. The manager brought over beer . !! pitchers later we were asked to leave as we never jumped again . No Banquet tickets no gambling rights etc. Guess we didnt fullfill our obligations.I made many winter jumps but that was the coldest. It took longer to pre-heat and pre-flight than the whole time off the ground

Near Dickenson on Hwy 85 a little bit north of I94 is a beautiful old Russian church. Across the street is the story of the people that built it. They were talked into coming to ND for the good cheap crop land. After one or two winters in ND they went back "TO SIBERIA".
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

ry.
.... I recently moved to australia :)

lucky bastard! i loved australia!! would love to move there
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

Living in Fla, I had a "glove rule." If it was cold enough to were gloves, it was too cold to jump.

The coldest I remember being on a jump was at the 100 way attemps at Pitt Meadows in '86. I was in the back corner of a Twin Otter. This was before slide up doors bevame standard. I had a sleeping bag to cover up with. It was guaranteed to keep you warm down to 75 degrees. Above zero. I could see through this thing. On the ground, it was mid 70s. Above 4 or 5 grand it started getting cold. We could see snow on all the mountains to the north. I was really cold for a long time on each jump. From then on, I always noted to myself how wonderful those slid up doors are.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Ugh, yes, we had a snowy February a few years back at Kapowsin, jumping a doorless Caravan for a few weeks. Chivalry made me sit in the back in exchange for Vskydiver huddling up front. :S:D

Funny, but all the jumpers were done after a jump or two. All the prodding in the world from Jessie F. couldn't get us back on that plane. :D

New Year's day 1986 at Parkman. Beech 18 with a plywood door that left about 12" open at the top. -11 inside the plane at altitude. I was sick for a week after that one and decided never again.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

In '75 I think we jumped (military troop drop) on the Yukon River at Galena, Alaska -- it was -47F when we stepped out the door. That night it hit -65F with winds blowing 30ish --- windchill off the chart.

-20F or below is officially cold.

Don't you just love playing "winter games" in AK. :ph34r::ph34r:

Adds new meaning to "Jack Frost" niping at your nose:)

I will say no more lest my less than favorite detractors who SOOOO appreciate everyones service start whining about what they see as "bragging".. yet again:S:S:S:S[/crazy][/crazy][/crazy][/crazy]

Park Rapids Minnesota when I was a kid...:S

It was so cold outside that your words froze solid coming outta your mouth...ya had to pick 'em up and take 'em inside just to hear what ya said! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I went to Colorado a few years ago and it was -10 when I arrived. That was pretty cold for this FL girl who isn't used to the temps being below 40!

Wow, that's right. It was cold when you came out here. Guess you're lucky I turned on the heater ;)

Now that I'm living in Calif, I'm worried I'll lose being able to handle Colorado winters :(
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

How about 6 jumps over the North Pole at 10,000 feet. The coldest I saw was -54C. It was much warmer on the ice cap...only -40C.

You'll freeze your ass off!

(no, we DON'T want to see the pictures again) :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message