BETO74

Anyone enjoy deer hunting over the thanksgiving break?

.. camo everything get camo pattern orange if you feel more comfortable, personally I don't want other hunters to see me...

Really??

In Wisconsin, it's mandated to wear at least 50% blaze orange. Although it does tend to create complacency, it has improved safety significantly.

We have too many idiots that shoot anything that moves around here.
People use paint to mark cows and horses to try to keep them from being targeted.
Last year someone was shot (right near my DZ as a matter of fact) because he was cold, and had grabbed a blanket from his car and draped it over his shoulders, covering the orange.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So far this season I've bagged 5 Roebucks, (Spanish cabriole) using a .223,
I love making venison sausage, Here in the mountains of Catalunys it's more
Boar hunting, and the freezer is full already.

for the Roebucks I use a RWS sub hollow point.
for the Boar a 12 gauge slug or a 4.44 magnum

Gone fishing

Warped certainly knows more about the characteristics of the different calibers than most people posting here and certainly more than me. One thing in particular he said that bears repeating is low recoil on that .260. Buying a .300 or even a 30.06 or a .270 can be brutal on you at the range, especially on synthetic stocked rifles. Get something flat shooting (i have never shot a .260) and low recoil. Shot placement is more important than anything else on whitetails. Personally, i hunt with a Ruger #1 in 25.06:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I went muzzleloading for the first time this year. On the day before Thanksgiving, I had a 5 by 5 buck walk up to 35 yds from me, turned broadside, and when I fired, the detonator cap went off, but no fire. My son said, "welcome to the world of muzzleloading, Dad" I saw no more buck the rest of the season, missed a couple of does.

Might be back to modern next year with my 30:06. In Washington state, you can only pick one weapon to use - archery, muzzleloader, or modern firearm. This state has a 108 page game regulation booklet, full of more crap, special seasons, restrictions, that drive you crazy. Not like growing up in PA, game book was short, "deer season is here to here - go hunt"
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

>We have too many idiots that shoot anything that moves around here.

and that's sad:(

There are camo pattern orange suits that satisfy the %50 law.

Some say you have too many idiots because everyone there is accustomed to looking for orange clad people.

In VT hunters are very keen on identifying what they shoot at because orange is optional and the game laws are so strict that if you shoot the wrong sex or age animal you get a $1000 fine. It keeps people on their game before they consider using their trigger finger.

I know this might sound really fucked to some people but I think that if you are going to take lives- then why should your own life be so special. I see hunters taking lives so easily out there without a second though.....the danger factor is good- it keeps things in perspective.

Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

I went muzzleloading for the first time this year. On the day before Thanksgiving, I had a 5 by 5 buck walk up to 35 yds from me, turned broadside, and when I fired, the detonator cap went off, but no fire. My son said, "welcome to the world of muzzleloading, Dad" I saw no more buck the rest of the season, missed a couple of does.

Might be back to modern next year with my 30:06. In Washington state, you can only pick one weapon to use - archery, muzzleloader, or modern firearm. This state has a 108 page game regulation booklet, full of more crap, special seasons, restrictions, that drive you crazy. Not like growing up in PA, game book was short, "deer season is here to here - go hunt"

Man I hate that... I had the same thing happen to me the first time they opened the training area up in 10 years to a 2 day smokepole season in Dec of 1978. I had one of the very largest mule dear bucks I have ever seen, just 25 yards away rubbing his rack on a large bush. I think that was the first time I ever saw a buck rubbing that late in the year.

I heard a racket down in a thicket and I slow stalked down towards it, saw him, took aim and the friggin first cap did not even go off on the Hawken. I stepped back into cover and slid a new cap on the nipple, cocked it, stepped out again, aimed... and the cap went but not the charge in the barrel. That time he heard me and went bouncing offdown the side of the mountain in classic mule deer... neener neener.... I am getting away from you.... fashion. That is the last time I have hunted with black powder. I will stick to modern since the state has deemed the one weapon of choice for the whole season. Back then you could hunt all the regular seasons... the muzzle loader... the archery with the appropriate weapon till you filled your tag:ph34r:

yes, they are around $70 a box. my brother has one as well. as soon as he gets his shop finished, he's going to start reloading. hopefully we'll get a better round too. all i find in the stores is a 180 grain bullets and i want a 220 grain bullet.

Hell, ammo is so bad now. I paid $30 for a box of .380 ACP practice ammo, 50 rounds. It's ridiculous.:S

Some good hunting in my back yard, John. Let me know:)
And Jeanie, That buck let me replace the cap on the nipple 3 times, popped off all 3 caps before he eventually trotted off slowly while snickering at me[:/]

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Some good hunting in my back yard, John. Let me know:)
And Jeanie, That buck let me replace the cap on the nipple 3 times, popped off all 3 caps before he eventually trotted off slowly while snickering at me[:/]

Oh man that sucks.. deer snickers are the absolute worst;)

You know, Brett and I might just get some tags and follow you over to the east side next year. We'll talk. :)

ONe of the secrets to success over there is to get into the woods in the summer a few times before the seasons.. you need to do some walking.. and find rubs.. scrapes...basically an area that actually has some decent sized bucks. I like the area north of Spokane up by the Canadian border.. its rough country and man there are a alot of game there.I camped out in my favorite camp spot a couple years ago on my way back from the Prairie... and a huge moose wandered right past the truck. There are some good Rocky Mountain elk in the high country there too. I just dont need that much meat normally so when I goi by myself most years.. I just count coup on the animals and let them pass..... pulling that trigger just means a hell of a lot of work, and my hunting season is over.

Thanks man, I reconsidered getting the .308 instead i'll go with a .270 win. I'm glad I posted this here.

Remember that a .270 is a long action cartridge.

So if you use a bolt gun you will have to lift your cheek off the stock and that will stop you from getting a follow up shot or a double.

.270win is nice in a pump gun.

Thanks man, I reconsidered getting the .308 instead i'll go with a .270 win. I'm glad I posted this here.

For white tail the 270 is plenty but I wouldn't want to use it on a bear. The 270 is a great round, nice and flat, plenty of knock-down.

Consider the 270 short mag. The cartridge is much shorter than the 270, and the ballistics are better.

I've got one of each and prefer to shoot the short mag.

Discussing rifle brands and calibers is one thing, now try asking about scopes. Check out the Meopta Meostar line. Half the cost of a Swarovski and the same optics. I've got a Leopold Var X III and the Meopta. The Meopta seems better.
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

You know, Brett and I might just get some tags and follow you over to the east side next year. We'll talk. :)

i got my first deer over in that region when i was 12. i still have family that goes every year, but my dad stopped going a couple years ago. he just can't walk the terrain any more. i would spend a week hunting there in a heartbeat if i could. maybe i'll get to again if we ever move back to washington.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I would immediately rip the sights off it, see what it takes to free float it, do a trigger job and get a nice scope with a lit reticle or a Burris Fast Fire added on the tube so that you can use that with the opposite eye both eyes open.

That way you could use the magnification for long distances or precise shots and the FF for up close or fast moving shots.

I would also thread the muzzle for a WCI brake

Something that will go as low as 2.5x up to as much as you can afford.

Realistically a 2.5-10x is sufficient, you can also find a nice cheap 2-7x.32mm and add the Fast Fire.

Tasco makes very cheap scopes and not all are that good, but there are two of them worth using and if they get broken nobody would care.

The nice thing is that it is very compact and allows both eyes open shooting.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TASCO-2-7x32-AO-Tri-Weaver-Rail-Rangefinder-Rifle-Scope_W0QQitemZ220458977909QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090729?IMSfp=TL090729151001r839

It lasted through a carbine course and held zero!

It had this added to it.http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

On the other end a Meopta, Leupold, IOR or equal is a very nice scope and will let you distinguish an ear from a leaf at over 500yds.

I just dont need that much meat normally so when I goi by myself most years.. I just count coup on the animals and let them pass..... pulling that trigger just means a hell of a lot of work, and my hunting season is over.

I really like that attitude, Too many hunters pull the trigger just for the sake of killing some thing.
I live where I hunt and often walk off trail and see carcases rotting just because they can't be bothered
to drag the animal back to the trail.

It would be cool if in this digital age some one designed a scope with a built in camera, for counting coup

Gone fishing

You can find a rem model 7600 used or a 760 used in .270win

Do that and do a light trigger job, I can walk you through it.

Also cut the stock off the thickness of a Limbsaver recoil pad for the rem 870 or 700 and all that to it.

That way you can shoot it in the summer in a tshirt.

I am not recoil sensitive by any mean, but with the steel butt plate I was left with a bruise qafter 50 rounds in a tshirt.

If you want the bbl threaded for a brake and a brake made let me know, I will do it for you.