normiss

Mouse Trapped 2010

That man could easily stand to lose 50 pounds. If he would eat less, he'd have more money. If he would lose weight, I bet it would alleviate some of his diabetic symptoms or maybe he wouldn't even have to take any medication anymore. Of course, that would make him accountable for his own actions instead of blaming the mouse. :S

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Guess the people that are in support of having the workers get paid more, don't think about where the money would come from. My guess it would be passed on to the cost of getting an attendance entrance ticket.

Really, in this economy people are bitching about getting paid above min wage :S I've been job hunting off and on out here in Calif for a few months.......it's hard to find a job. Suck it up cupcake. If you can't make your paycheck last till the next payday, then maybe you need to cut back on what you're spending your money on.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

That man could easily stand to lose 50 pounds. If he would eat less, he'd have more money. If he would lose weight, I bet it would alleviate some of his diabetic symptoms or maybe he wouldn't even have to take any medication anymore. Of course, that would make him accountable for his own actions instead of blaming the mouse. :S

Times are tough all over...guess it's IS a small world after all.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Guess the people that are in support of having the workers get paid more, don't think about where the money would come from. My guess it would be passed on to the cost of getting an attendance entrance ticket.

Really, in this economy people are bitching about getting paid above min wage :S I've been job hunting off and on out here in Calif for a few months.......it's hard to find a job. Suck it up cupcake. If you can't make your paycheck last till the next payday, then maybe you need to cut back on what you're spending your money on.

It would be interesting to see these guys go on strike in this economy.

How many people would be willing to cross a picket line for a $13/hr custodian job?

There have been a few places that I have personally seen where the union goes on strike because the wages and benefits "aren't enough to live on" and they are replaced within a couple weeks.

The union guys stay on strike for a while, but it becomes pretty pathetic to see them on the picket line while the company is doing just fine without them.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

It would be interesting to see these guys go on strike in this economy.

How many people would be willing to cross a picket line for a $13/hr custodian job?

There have been a few places that I have personally seen where the union goes on strike because the wages and benefits "aren't enough to live on" and they are replaced within a couple weeks.

The union guys stay on strike for a while, but it becomes pretty pathetic to see them on the picket line while the company is doing just fine without them.

that $13 an hour is after 17 years of service. when I worked there, in foods, there was some talk about strike, even though we had a no strike clause, so they had management of foods, and other departments come in and learn how to work the registers/cook the food.

Consider this, when you say $13/hour is too much for custodial. 17 years ago, he was making plenty of money to survive. In recent years, disney has become only about making money, and not taking care of the people who work there, the people who make the magic happen. I didn't watch the documentary, but after working foods for almost five years, I'm sure I already know what is in it.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I think the key here is that all of these positions are unskilled labor. Learn a trade, develop a demanded skill, get a degree, and you open yourself up to advancement and salary increases. Doesn't anyone try to better themselves these days? I guess being happy flipping burgers all your life is fine, but be prepared to make shitty money doing it.

Wow, just realized that sounded kinda harsh.... Oh well, so is life.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

On the other hand you have the mealy mouths that have been drawing unemployment for 3 + years and bitching because the company they worked for downsized. And they're too good to take any job that pays less than $30@hour because it isn't in the field their degree is in. So the rest of us sorry-assed unskilled labor types are paying increased taxes to support their sorry-ass. What was your point again ?
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I think the key here is that all of these positions are unskilled labor. Learn a trade, develop a demanded skill, get a degree, and you open yourself up to advancement and salary increases. Doesn't anyone try to better themselves these days? I guess being happy flipping burgers all your life is fine, but be prepared to make shitty money doing it.

I have two degrees and have been looking for work for a few months now. Lucky for me I have an interview next week to try and get a job waiting tables :S
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have two degrees and have been looking for work for a few months now. Lucky for me I have an interview next week to try and get a job waiting tables :S
At least you're one of the very few that doesn't believe you are too good for that job. I assure you that is not the way the majority that are unemployed feel. Sorry that you can't get a job in your own field, but at least you trying until something better comes along.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

At least you're one of the very few that doesn't believe you are too good for that job. I assure you that is not the way the majority that are unemployed feel.

Bulls**t. Lots of people are looking for jobs that they're overqualified for (too good for) and not getting them because the employers know it's temporary ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

At least you're one of the very few that doesn't believe you are too good for that job. I assure you that is not the way the majority that are unemployed feel.

Bulls**t. Lots of people are looking for jobs that they're overqualified for (too good for) and not getting them because the employers know it's temporary ...

Correct. I had to dumb down my resume/application to get this interview.

The full version has been released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BMQ3xQc7o&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_764446

While they do make some points about the apparent shortsightedness of the management as well as their attitude towards safety issues, I do wonder:

How much are their union dues and is it a fixed amount or a percentage?

Most in the vid claim to love their job and don't want to leave, and that's why they are getting hosed as management knows this so uses it.

A similar situation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5BMQ3xQc7o&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_764446

I guess the lesson is you can't always making a living doing what you love and sometimes you have to just walk away and make it strictly a hobby or a second job.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

What Disney is doing is no different from any other company these days.
If you don't like your job or the money it pays, improve your skills and move on.

While improving skills will always help, the key is move on. If enough people did that, all these large companies would start paying more.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I honestly don't think sappy music and a bunch of disgruntled workers will help them much either.
It isn't their company, they are but employees like many of us. Simply working for someone does not inherently gives us the right to expect spoils from the profits. :S
This whole thing does nothing except highlight the plight of the working class American, unskilled labor at that.
Maybe they could afford more insurance if they weren't paying union dues.
:P

What Disney is doing is no different from any other company these days.
If you don't like your job or the money it pays, improve your skills and move on.

While improving skills will always help, the key is move on. If enough people did that, all these large companies would start paying more.

Not really. About 10 or so years ago our goverment pushed and pushed until they got NAFTA. It was supposed to improve the economy. The only economic improvement it provided was for upper management. Under NAFTA, US companies can move they're manufacturing operations to Mexico. Where they can obtain non-unionized labor for pennies on the dollar while providing no benefits. Then import their products back into the US without any tariff penalities what so ever.

Every year we lose more and more of our manufacturing base. Everybody, for the time being anyway, is entitled to believe whatever they like. But from what I've seen there is no way this country is going to survive on financial and IT services alone. I guess time will tell. I still stand by what I said 10 years ago. The chickens are coming home to roost y'all.
Don't be a "Racer Hater"