boinky

Christmas Present Help List

I am giving all of my grandchildren a popup Robert Sabuda's: "The Night Before Christmas" that I will be writing a personal note to each of them and dating them.

If you've never seen it, it's a pretty expensive popup book, but the details in the popups are amazing! Well worth the price of them! (of course, I'm using coupons from Barnes and Noble to get them one by one) :$

Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

I am giving all of my grandchildren a popup Robert Sabuda's: "The Night Before Christmas" that I will be writing a personal note to each of them and dating them.

If you've never seen it, it's a pretty expensive popup book, but the details in the popups are amazing! Well worth the price of them! (of course, I'm using coupons from Barnes and Noble to get them one by one) :$

I will have to check that book out the next time I go to Barnes and Nobles.:)
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Paradox base layer (like long underwear)

really thin, made from recycled milk jugs and very warm, antimicrobial and wicks away sweat.

They are a good buy and I love them, bulky layers suck.

Costco has them as do other places.

Vortex Optics are a kick ass gift, check out the Viper http://swfa.com/Vortex-25-10x44-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44567.aspx

I really want one!

the SPARC http://swfa.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-Sights-C2988.aspx

Also check out Cabela's bargain cave.

I just got a pair of windproof, waterproof and insulated fleece like camo pants for $50, they listed originally for 3x that.

Don't forget they will take an offer on the stuff most of the time.

It's sealed in plastic wrap. You won't be able to view the popups. If you decide to buy it, it's cheaper on line, particularly if you're a member! :S

Nina

Why are we getting Turtle a medal? :S

John Mitchell nailed it....
" 'I can't give you courage, but I can give you a medal.' - Wizard of Oz".

Or, if you prefer, for beating out the hare.:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

So tell us, what have been some of the greatest gifts you've ever gotten?

I could use some gift suggestions on what to get for my dad. He is hopeless when it comes to technology so most gadgets are right out (he had issues with a universal remote control that was programmed FOR him), doesn't like crowds or eating out, is way too picky about clothes for me to even consider that, and doesn't really have time for my usual standby of DVDs as life's gotten pretty chaotic over the last few months. And a gift card will get thrown in a drawer.

He loves: steam trains, his motorcycle and his mustang (though not much time to take them out).

A couple years ago, I gave him a stained glass painting I did of the Durango Silverton steam train, and he loved that (hung it up the same day), but I don't know I'm up to being that creative again...

I'm finding myself at a bit of a loss.

I don't know where your dad lives, but isn't it cold almost everywhere right now? ;) How about a steam train blanket?

Even if he won't use it to curl up under, they're good for making wall hangings out of, a throw across the back of your sofa or laying on the top of a made up bed.

I clicked on some of the links and there are some pretty amazing ones. And there's even one site that will do a custom blanket too. I'm not a huge train fan and I got excited about some of them! :$

Nina

Totally agree. I also like the smell of gun oil, but I don't want this to go to SC.

"I love the smell of Hoppe's 9 in the morning. It smells like...Christmas."
-- JohnMitchell
:D

You too? When I was a kid, my dad and I would clean our shotguns a couple days before bird season... with Hoppe's #9. Brings back memories every time I smell it.

Chuck

So tell us, what have been some of the greatest gifts you've ever gotten?

I could use some gift suggestions on what to get for my dad. He is hopeless when it comes to technology so most gadgets are right out (he had issues with a universal remote control that was programmed FOR him), doesn't like crowds or eating out, is way too picky about clothes for me to even consider that, and doesn't really have time for my usual standby of DVDs as life's gotten pretty chaotic over the last few months. And a gift card will get thrown in a drawer.

He loves: steam trains, his motorcycle and his mustang (though not much time to take them out).

A couple years ago, I gave him a stained glass painting I did of the Durango Silverton steam train, and he loved that (hung it up the same day), but I don't know I'm up to being that creative again...

I'm finding myself at a bit of a loss.

If he is like most fathers....Your being there means more to him than anything!

BUT, I have a friend that makes Memory quilts, When I took a box of old flour sacks my MIL had been given by her mother, (they used to make clothes out of them) then had a quilt made from them, using the same design of the Quilt her mother had made, but fell apart....that woman cried tears of joy for days every time she looked at it...

(Flour used to be sold in colorful cloth bags, for you pups that don't realise what flour sack dresses were)

A close up of the original: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/quilt/?action=view¤t=DSC02693.jpg

The one I had made , with matching pillow cases and throw pillows..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/quilt/?action=view¤t=Southridgewind029.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/quilt/?action=view¤t=quilt009.jpg

What about taking a day trip together on a steam train? Are there any nearby?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

May be way out there if he does not play chess. But how about this from chesshouse.com. A "Sant Fe Train Chess Set"
"The train enthusiast and collector can enjoy a game of chess with diesel vs steam powered locomotives and train engines."
Or maybe just a train engineer hat?
Others here that play chess may enjoy this site for Christmas gift ideas.

May be way out there if he does not play chess. But how about this from chesshouse.com. A "Sant Fe Train Chess Set"
"The train enthusiast and collector can enjoy a game of chess with diesel vs steam powered locomotives and train engines."
Or maybe just a train engineer hat?
Others here that play chess may enjoy this site for Christmas gift ideas.

that took a bit of searching, but it is pretty kewl, even if he doesn't play chess, makes a nice display..
http://www.chesshouse.com/Santa_Fe_Train_Chess_Set_Pieces_p/fp7507.htm

I have to say that I like the way this is going!! :)
Everyone who needs Christmas ideas put the likes of the person they want to buy for. Then we find ideas for them!

Nina

What about taking a day trip together on a steam train? Are there any nearby?

Great idea, but the only one close enough that he might actually go is Disneyland, and we've done that one before. Wish I could get him to go to the train museum in Perris, but probably won't happen. =(