LuckyMcSwervy

How Long Before Vacation Do You Pack?

I pack right before I leave. Then I leave about 30 minutes earlier than necessary. That way I can get 15 minutes out from my house, and still be able to turn back and get what I forgot. Last trip I took I was about 10 minutes down the road when I went to call friend to make sure they were leaving also. Then I turned back and got my cell phone :D

Sometimes space is an issue, where you are physically limited on how much you can carry with you. Sometimes you're stuck between needing a certain number of things for a bit over a week of skydiving and competition and having to take a small vehicle to get there.

This was taken a few minutes before I pushed out of the garage and hit the road (in the rain) to go to Nationals this year. (Although bulky, it was still less weight than a passenger and an overnight bag).

Here are ours packed for a 3 week trip, but, no skydiving gear...(that makes a HUGE difference)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/vacation.jpg

In my 20s, I'd usually pack drunk the night before. But any specialized gear (scuba, jump, pilot stuff) would be packed a few days prior...

Years ago, my roommate at the time & I were going to Italy skiing to two weeks.

He didn't party as much as I did back then, but we really had one going the night before we left...

Got to Italy...all he had in his suitcase were ski boots! :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I typically pack the day of. Ive been told I wont be able to do that when we move to Korea... Everything that we have to have is going on the plane with us. We're storing everything else for the year. Should be interesting. Im already having trouble picking which shoes I want to bring. I typically have at least five for a weekend trip.

I typically pack the day of. Ive been told I wont be able to do that when we move to Korea... Everything that we have to have is going on the plane with us. We're storing everything else for the year. Should be interesting. Im already having trouble picking which shoes I want to bring. I typically have at least five for a weekend trip.

Buy an over sized pair of cargo pants and stuff the pockets with your shoes...;)

Just make sure you wear a belt or your pants will fall down..:P
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Buy an over sized pair of cargo pants and stuff the pockets with your shoes...;)

:o I have the perfect pair of pants for that! Thanks for the idea! :)

:o I have the perfect pair of pants for that! Thanks for the idea! :)

This one time when I was coming home from NZ I was over wt in my snowboard bag by 7lbs. I had to at the damn counter, take things out and stuff my cargo pant pockets like you could not believe. I wore 3 wool sweaters, two hoodies, my helmet, and so on. My pants were falling off so I had to take my shoe laces off to make a belt so my pants would stay up. :D
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Specalized gear like skydiving, scuba, paintball, ski, or climbing gear gets packed and checked a few days before a trip. Everything is thrown in a suitcase the night before and the morning of.

If im not foing any specal activities then i pack just carryon stuffs. I dont like checking bags if i dont have to.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

About a week before I make a complete list of everything I need and it's broken up into categories for easy organization. I make a calendar and write in what I'm going to wear on each day and make sure I have matching shoes and accessories. Then there's the list for everything I have to get done at home and work before I go. If we're traveling by car and staying somewhere I'll be cooking, the menu and kitchen supply list has to be done.

I asked my daughter the other day what one word she'd use to describe me. She replied, "OCD". :ph34r:

Edit: and then I do the actual packing the day before, after the laundry has been done, of course.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Christ, I wouldn't do that in these post-shoe bomber times. It'll just look like spare ammunition!

I pack at the last minute, always. I don't even look for my passport until the night before, and I seldom have any idea where that is. Admittedly, that has led to a last minute panic or two...

I have a small backpack that I use as a gym bag and overnight bag. It has a compartment with all my personal items in it (toothbrush, paste, etc.). So, when I go to travel, I stuff it full of clothes and take off. This usually happens minutes before I depart for the airport. If I will be gone more than a few days, I'll take a check-on bag with more stuff, but the backpack stays with me so nothing can go too far wrong.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

What is this Packing that you speak of? I carry all my stuff to the dz and pay some one 6 bucks. They always make it look so easy getting 50 lbs. of shit in a 20 lb bag, although sometimes the openings are Interesting :D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I don't even look for my passport until the night before, and I seldom have any idea where that is. Admittedly, that has led to a last minute panic or two...

:D:D I know right where mine is, 2 meters behind me, bottom shelf of the safe. :PB|

Mine is in my back-park...in a leather cover that's then in a plastic pouch that's cable locked to the inside...it's running outta pages! B|

I don't even look for my passport until the night before, and I seldom have any idea where that is. Admittedly, that has led to a last minute panic or two...

:D:D I know right where mine is, 2 meters behind me, bottom shelf of the safe. :PB|

I just got my new one in the mail. Missed the cut off to get a free replacement (for the name change) by a month.

About 1/2 an hour for vacation-and hour for a biz trip. Well, for biz it's usually an hour before bed the night before since I try to get out on early morning flights

Yep, my biz travel is just before going to bed the night before ... my biz travel packing is pretty routine and easy at this point; I rarely need to bring anything radically different from one trip to another - the only variable is how many days the trip is going to be. I've planned my business wardrobe to support easy (meaning NO checked luggage) travel. Anything I wear has to work with black shoes, as one pair of dress shoes and one pair of running shoes are all I ever take.

For vacations, for a quick weekend trip, I'll typically pack the day of (if I'm leaving in the evening) or night before (if I'm leaving early morning). Most of my personal trips are 4 days or less. For a longer trip, I might start making lists of what I want to bring a few days before so if there's any shopping / digging out of closets / laundry that needs to be done I have time to do it. But the actual packing will still typically take place right before the trip.

The ONE exception to that rule is Lost Prairie, and that's because we send a bunch of camping gear up with people who are driving and it all has to be ready before they leave, not when I leave.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

About 1/2 an hour for vacation-and hour for a biz trip. Well, for biz it's usually an hour before bed the night before since I try to get out on early morning flights

Considering the size of your clothes, I can see that...