airdvr

Traffic tickets and sexism

I've only gotten one speeding ticket in my life , never once pulled over for speeding, (and for a biker that is od) The one I got, I was dead to rights breaking the limit...the officer changed it from 68 in a 45 to 52 in a 45...Just because I was not an asshole to him...

BUT...Sexism???

You'd have to be brain dead, to not know that happens..Bad part is, Most(yes I mean most) female cops, (break out the flame throwers) are Gay...so it kind of reverses in those cases!

They Hate men..yer fucked... BUT, women may walk...

HEY...WTF???? women alwasy get the pass>:(

I could've been a police officer, literally had the job handed to me... and I don't have an ounce of lesbian in me. I turned it down because I was afraid of getting hit in the face. :D

And let me tell you something else... NJ's ticket recipients are lots and lots and lots of females. The red light camera program will surely drive the percentage of females getting tickets up.
Always be kinder than you feel.

My wife works as an emergency nurse in our local hospital and has been let off twice for speeding whilst wearing her uniform.;)
I guess the cops felt that if they were ever admitted to the ER and looked up to see the nurse they had booked earlier they would be a touch nervous:D

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

My mom's been a police officer for 36 years, so the whole Police Dept knew who I was and saw me grow up, so I got countless warnings in high school, and no tickets, and some "Tell your mom I said hello, and slow down okay?":$:P

But after I moved away for college, dang! Nobody knew my mom anymore, I couldn't use her as a scape goat! I've gotten probably two warnings and one ticket. When I get pulled over, I'm nice and respectful.

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

My mom's been a police officer for 36 years, so the whole Police Dept knew who I was and saw me grow up, so I got countless warnings in high school, and no tickets, and some "Tell your mom I said hello, and slow down okay?":$:P

But after I moved away for college, dang! Nobody knew my mom anymore, I couldn't use her as a scape goat! I've gotten probably two warnings and one ticket. When I get pulled over, I'm nice and respectful.

Yeah, everyone knew my Dad was a cop and they all knew us kids, even in other towns. So, imagine this: Senior year of high school, drinking on one of the greens at the country club... Yup, here comes the cops. Everyone starts running, including me, laughing my ass off. I tripped over a sprinkler head on a fairway (still have a small scar on my shin) and the cop was like, "Why are you guys running? She's Tomasello's kid. You're not getting in trouble. Just take the empties with you." :)

Oh... I went down to Elon to visit my best friend when she was at college. We were still underage at the time. Drinking in public at some kinda outdoor party. Someone yells "THE LAW!!" and everyone freaking turns and burns. I'm like "F it. I'll take a drinking in public ticket. The officer asked me why I didn't run like everyone else. I was like, it's just a ticket, not a big deal. My best friend then tells the cop my Dad was also a cop. I didn't get a ticket but she still did. She was f'ing PISSED!!! :D
Always be kinder than you feel.

HaHa! The joys of having a parent in law enforcement! It sure was fun, wasn't it?! I used to go on coroner calls with my mom, I got to see some crazy stuff!

The funniest thing is that my mother is such a speed demon, that if we were traveling out of state or where people didn't know her, she ended up getting the ticket about 50% of the time when she got pulled over! Got so many that she actually had to go to traffic school:D:D

And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

So, I couldn't respond to the poll because I'm female and have received a warning, but I've also received tickets. I'll admit a nice smile helps, but trying too hard to charm a cop would backfire IMO. I'm just always very polite and up front.

So, looks like 5 tickets (four from men. Two were givens - one for an accident, one on Memorial Day weekend when there was no conversation allowed at all) and at least five warnings I can remember (also four from men).

And I will say that the female cop who let me off it was not a matter of sexual orientation. Pretty sure she was straight. Maybe it was because she was named Snow White and it was too ridiculous for her to write a ticket on a Muffie? Or maybe because she accused me (a blonde, white girl visiting my friend in the 'hood) of being a gang member first? Who knows?

In my personal experience a driver's sex, age, how good they looked (or how bad they looked), if they cried and their fame/fortune is not a factor for having received a warning or a citation.

What is a factor? I've never gotten away with a warning. Well, not for speeding. I once got a warning for having the license plate light burnt out, but that stop was a pretense to check for drunk driving (and I wasn't).

DONT SPEED:D:D

Seriously I have a clean license and my wife has 9 points on her license (at 12 she will lose her license but she still hasn't learn't)

In general when you speed you significantly raise your chance of an accident and the severity of any injuries. When you actually work out the time saved it is usually minimal. Doing 80 instead of 60 on a 30 mile journey saves you a measly 8 minutes IF you could average 80 - I think you would save 2 or 3 minutes.

All of my wifes tickets have been on 3 mile journeys from home - the actual time saved was seconds. [:/]
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

2 warnings and 2 tickets. Both tickets were by state troopers of holiday weekends (yeah I am a dumbass). I will admit that at the time of the second one I was pissed off. They pulled me (and about 20 others) over about 10miles from where an airplane had clocked me. Within a mile of where they had clocked me, I had slowed back down to the speed limit. Grrr, but whatever, I deserved it.

The two warnings I got were given by Military Police. The most recent of the two, about two weeks ago, I ran a stop sign. In my defense, the sign was not there the day before, it is smaller than your average stop sign, and is not reflective (this is the one that really gets me, come on people!). I damn near puked on the kid though due to a change in my meds. I'm sure that wouldve really won him over [:/]

Oooooh - Morning Sickness has to SUCK!:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

2 warnings and 2 tickets. Both tickets were by state troopers of holiday weekends (yeah I am a dumbass). I will admit that at the time of the second one I was pissed off. They pulled me (and about 20 others) over about 10miles from where an airplane had clocked me. Within a mile of where they had clocked me, I had slowed back down to the speed limit. Grrr, but whatever, I deserved it.

The two warnings I got were given by Military Police. The most recent of the two, about two weeks ago, I ran a stop sign. In my defense, the sign was not there the day before, it is smaller than your average stop sign, and is not reflective (this is the one that really gets me, come on people!). I damn near puked on the kid though due to a change in my meds. I'm sure that wouldve really won him over [:/]

Sure does. Youre still on for the nanny position right? I need a good influence on the little demons while I party my life away.:P

Attitude is everything. Not ass-kissing, but simply put, being respectful and understanding that the officer is out their doing their job goes a very long way.

Well that explains it.:)) driving. Never did B.S. the cops, just told them the truth and was polite to them.

Unfortunately I've received a few too, mostly all deserved.

BUT...Sexism???

You'd have to be brain dead, to not know that happens..Bad part is, Most(yes I mean most) female cops, (break out the flame throwers) are Gay...so it kind of reverses in those cases!

They Hate men..yer fucked... BUT, women may walk...

HEY...WTF???? women alwasy get the pass>:(

Yes, sexism happens.. But statistically most wreckless driving is carried out by young teenage boys.. And sexism happens both ways.. If I had to guess, I would say that on balance women get discriminated *against* more than the other way around.

I've only been pulled over once. By an MP on a military base. Reckon he just wanted to know which room I was staying in because when I got arsy with him about why exactly I was being pulled over he couldn't come up with anything and said I was "driving suspiciously"! Yeah I was driving slow - I had a cop car following me for about 8 miles at 10 miles per hour (in a 10mph zone)!! Creepy.. :S
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Sure does. Youre still on for the nanny position right? I need a good influence on the little demons while I party my life away.:P

Nanny Turtle? The ultrasound shots would be the only pictures of the kids that didn't have numbers under the chin:S
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

i've gotten one ticket in my life for turning left in a place where left turns were prohibited. I honestly didnt know it at the time but hey shit happens. So i was polite and nice and the cop gave me the ticket and i went on my way.

However, i have always been told to plead not guilty and go to court because you can pretty much always get the fine reduced. So i did that and talked to the DA. He threw out the ticket because the officer said that i had a good attitude and thats what saved my butt.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

One warning, no tickets. I probably deserved a ticket when I got that warning (85 in a 65). It was an obvious speed trap, with 3 cops on each side of the road and a Cessna overhead taking speed readings. I had college parking permit stickers on my 10-year-old car and certainly wasn't dressed to impress. I was respectful ("sir" is a very powerful word) and apologetic, but didn't try to BS. I knew I was guilty. I think the cop took pity on me because i behaved like a decent human being and because he knew that a parking ticket would leave me eating raman noodles for an entire semester...

One of my favorite get-out-of-a-ticket lines comes from a friend. She was speeding (something like 90 in a 55) down an empty state highway late at night. Well, not entirely empty. A cop parked alongside the highway pulled her over as soon as she passed. When he approached the car and asked what she was doing, she replied, "Keeping up with flow of traffic." The cop looked around, and there wasn't a headlight or taillight to be seen in either direction. "What traffic? There's not another car for miles," he replied. "I know," she said, "I was trying to catch up to them so I can keep up!" The cop got a good laugh out of that on what was obviously a boring night. He gave her a warning and told her to slow it down.

Side note:

A "speed trap" is where speed limits are quickly and unreasonably changed on a stretch of road. For instance, from a 65mph to 30mph with out a "step down" or adequate warning signs.

When there are a lot of officers in a single area of a constant speed, it isn't a "speed trap." Its an area with a high violation rate or an area that has an unusually high accident rate.

Getting caught going 20mph over a posted speed limit doesn't constitute a "speed trap." That constitutes getting caught speeding.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I was 16 I was driving with a 15 year old friend. We were followed by a cop for about 6 blocks. He finally pulled me over and came up and asked for my DL. Then he asked for my friends DL. Handed them back saying we were too young and walked away. :S

The only time I've been pulled over and given a ticket was when I was 7 months pregnant. Driving to UT by myself to visit family and was going down a hill near an on ramp. Cop was waiting.... I was wearing a shirt that said "BABY" across the front. The cop was very rude and snarly. He asked me what my occupation was and I told him I was on leave at the moment. He asked if I was military and I said no I was on maternity leave. He then replied "Oh... your just a housewife." :o:(

I've been pulled over a couple other times since then but just given a warning.

I can only remember four times I've been pulled over. I've always been polite and cooperative. Three times were for speeding. Got a ticket every time, although twice the officer did reduce my speed a bit from what he said he clocked it at. I don't speed as a matter of habit and can say on all three occasions it was inattentiveness. Each ticket was almost exactly 7 years apart.

The only warning I got was on Christmas Eve. I was coming home from the 11pm Christmas Eve service (back when I used to do that) and was pulled over for my license plate light being out. As I said upthread, it was clearly a pretense for checking for DUI, as the cop basically looked at me, figured out where I had been, told me about the light and let me go on my way.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I've gotten a couple of warnings. The last one was the funniest:

I'd ridden up to a nice straight stretch of road with no stoplights. Decided to see if the manual was telling the truth about maximum speed, after riding the street and making sure there were no obstacles.

So, off I go.

And there are those red and blue lights a few moments later.

*SHIT* I pull over.

Me, raising visor on my helmet: "Um, hello, Officer."

Officer, raising visor on his helmet: "Did I just clock you at 74 on a VESPA!?"

Me: "Probably."

Officer, looking confused: "I'm sorry, but what the hell..."

Me: "Just got it out of the break in. Wanted to see how fast she could go. I'm guessing the answer to that would be 74."

Officer: "Now that you know, are you done speeding?"

Me: "Yup."

Officer, laughing and shaking his head at me: "Get out of here and slow down."

Me: "Yessir. Thank you!"

Officer, muttering as he walks away: "74. on a damn Vespa."

You must have been in a serious tuck to reduce drag.

Stop watch TT on HD theater will ya?:P

I have to order a completely new ignition and a painless wiring kit as I still have a minor problem even after rebuilding the harnesses.

I will race you, I can only use 1st gear though!
:D

That would be a challenge.

Or I could put you on a two rope like gliders use and you could cut away at 180mph to see if it feels great.(j/k)

Right now my bike looks like a cadaver, no bodywork at all.:(

I've gotten some amazing warnings... I mean like shoulda been arrested, shoulda lost my license, shoulda been beat by cops.... Lotsa good stories of "getting away with it"

On the other hand I have been arrested a couple times and gotten quite a few speeding tickets....

A "speed trap" is where speed limits are quickly and unreasonably changed on a stretch of road. For instance, from a 65mph to 30mph with out a "step down" or adequate warning signs.

In Oklahoma, where this event occurred, a speed trap is defined as any municipality that receives more than half of its operating revenue from traffic tickets. I was pulled over outside of just such a town. The fact that it was a speed trap doesn't excuse the fact that I was undeniably speeding. I was lucky to get the warning instead of a ticket. But it was, indeed, a speed trap :P

In Oklahoma, where this event occurred, a speed trap is defined as any municipality that receives more than half of its operating revenue from traffic tickets. I was pulled over outside of just such a town. The fact that it was a speed trap doesn't excuse the fact that I was undeniably speeding. I was lucky to get the warning instead of a ticket. But it was, indeed, a speed trap

I can think of a few town here in Kansas that are nothing more than a Pitt stop on the highway, and they would fit that criteria appropriately.
=========Shaun ==========